Annoying input issues

Hello there,

I've been using my Pro1 now for approximately four months and the input issues (ghost input) seems to get worse and worse. For some time I've been documenting the ghost input and it definitely shows a pattern (list below). It feels like somebody smashed my keyboard every now and then and it occurs very frequently that I have to write a word three times since ghost writing occurs repeatedly.

Apart from ghost writing I have tab/alt keys pressed (tab+space is often enter/send since you get tabbed to the next button), key menu popup (í instead of i), missing keys or double space (=punctuation).
Thig1s (<-- "This") can be very annoying. And since my browqe (<-- broqw (<-- f*cking browser, not browq+tab!) doesn't support AOSP, it doesn't seem to be a AOSP issue. But it seems to happen much more frequently with AOSP (sticky shift enabled) or under load which tells me that it could be a process or software issue.

My questions are:
Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Is there any way to prioritize the keyboard process(es)? I don't care if a game runs slower but I do care if my key input is wrong.
If it isn't a software issue (considering the patterns I could imagine a hardware issue), is there any way to get a new keymat?

I've never had such issues with any other keyboard phone (Droid1, Droid2, Droid4, PhotonQ) although they keyboard failed quite fast due to heavy typing. The problems occurred from day one of using the device but I can't tell if it happened only on LineageOS (I installed it immediately after receiving the phone).
I am not willing to send in the device since it's my daily driver and I don't know how long they would take to repair it.
I am willing to pay for parts that could solve the problem. And I'm willing to disassemble the phone to replace them.

Ghost letter list:
an -> asg1an
auch -> auc<yh
auch -> auchf1
Augen -> Augf1en
beispielsweise -> beispielsh1sweise
damit -> dhj1amit
dann -> hd1ann
das -> dj1das
deutlich -> deutrlälih
die -> dg1die
die -> dip2ie
diese -> dj1di+2ese 
dir -> dj1dir
du -> dj1du 
du -> djfadu 
du -> hd1u
du dort -> du. Rt
es, die -> es,67m d
fahren -> fahd1hren
gleich -> glezutich
halt -> hasgalt
Hand -> Handjgd
ich -> ichd1h
ich -> ichfj1
ich -> ichfj1
ich -> ichfj1
ich -> ichjg1h
ist -> isad1t
jederzeit in -> jederzeit IN (random caps lock, nowhere near to the caps lock key)
kann -> kasg1ann
kann -> kasgann
laufende -> laugf1ende
leiden -> lezutiden 
mag -> masg1ag
Mehrzahl -> Mehd1hrzahl
meine -> mqewine
meist -> meish1st 
müssen -> müsfhgsen
nehmen -> neh1hmen
nicht -> nichfj1t
nicht -> nichfj1t (the attempt of rewriting the word)
nicht -> nichjg1ht
nicht -> nichjght
nicht -> nicycht
offen -> offhgfen
rücksichtslos -> rücksicfh1tslos
schließlich -> sh1schließlich
schön -> sh1schön
sehr -> sh1sehr 
shift -> shifgh1t
sich -> sic<yvh
sicher -> sicvbher
sie -> s1aiete
sind -> as1ind
skeptisch -> sad1ke...
so -> sd1so 
sodass -> sodassad1
sogar -> sogf1ar
umsteigen -> umsfh1teigen
vorsichtig -> vorsichd1htig
wichtig -> wichd1htig
Zeit -> Zei+2t

1a[ ]et
67m
a[ ]1
ad1 x3
d1h x5
dg1
f1 x3
f1j
fj1 x4
fh1 x2
fhg
g[ ]1
gh1
h[ ]1 x2
h1 x3
hj1
hgf
j1d x3
j1d[ ]+2
jg1
jg1h
jgh
jgd
jfad
p2i
sd1 
sg1a
sga
sh1 x4
sg1
sg
vb
r[ ]äl
q[ ]w
zut
<yv
<y
yc
zut

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah sometimes the Pro1 sucks big time when it does this. I loathed it at times and now accept that its faults just lie with the awfulness of Android rather than the phone's design.

I can tell you that my experience, which was very similar to yours, got much better with the installation on Lineage OS 17. Have you done this upgrade yet?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

I can tell you that my experience, which was very similar to yours, got much better with the installation on Lineage OS 17. Have you done this upgrade yet?

Not yet (I'm on the latest LOS 16.x). But I could imagine that it's because of a fresh install?

I'll see if I find the time to try it on the weekend.
Is there a way to disable AOSP for the keyboard in order to remove any software activities while typing? (this way I'd hope to lower the frequency of the issues)

7 hours ago, Slion said:

Sounds like an electrical issue with your keyboard. I had something similar. They replaced my phone.

How long did it take for them to replace it? As much as I understand many people haven't even received their phone yet so I don't expect them to hurry for replacement phones.
I'd feel much more comfortable just opening it myself and maybe change some parts. Also it's strange that it mostly happens when the phone is under load, shouldn't it be a software issue then?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

How long did it take for them to replace it?

10 weeks.

feel much more comfortable just opening it myself and maybe change some parts.

Same here.

mostly happens when the phone is under load

Well if it's a software issue other users should be able to reproduce it. If you have instructions I can give it a go.

I really thoughht mine had a physical fault too as it too used to insert numbers into words or move the cursor around the screen-- it was often unusable.  I thought one key was influencing another electronically but now on LOS 17 I would say it is 99.9% fixed with respect to the keyboard.

Android is completely new to me and even I managed to do a non-destructive update to my Pro1 and keep all my data!

Of course you could still have a physically damaged keyboard causing all of your issues but I would be interested to see if the update to LOS 17 helps your typing issues

(I have no idea what AOSP is by the way, so can't answer that one!).

Edited by jamescarruthers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Slion There is no simple way to reproduce it. I've seen those problems happen in huge loads but that's not guaranteed either.
What I do very often is to stop any process ii the back which helps a lot. That leads me to the thought that we are talking about a software problem. But you have to stop those processes manually or you have to restart them every time (when switching apps) if you disable background processfhgses (<--processes) in the developer menu. 

@jamescarruthers That really gives me hope... I'll definitely try updating it over the weekend.
AOSP is the software that 'helps' the keyboard to output further letters than the keyboard would do itself.
For example sticky shift wouldn't be possible in this kind of keyboard and many shortcuts are custom too. However, I'm already used to using both shift keys so I don't need AOSP anymore.

But I'll try LOS17 first!

Seeing as I don't do bitcoins mining on mine it's fair to say I don't have any power hungry background process running 😁 Early on, back in January or February, I had that issue where Gmail sync with ActiveSync was acting up, drain the battery and make the phone run hot but that's been fixed for months now.

Is there an app I could run to simulate heavy load?
How comes you are running power hungry background processes?

18 hours ago, Slion said:

Is there an app I could run to simulate heavy load?
How comes you are running power hungry background processes?

That's the thing. We aren't talking about bitcoin mining or that kind of power hungry processes, but of an open browser, Whatsapp or a 2D game I often play. Maybe it's a RAM issue instead. When I kill every other app (app drawer), the keyboard usually works fine.
I noticed it quite clearly when I start the 2D game and switch apps while it's loading. It seems to save the current  (loading) state in the background and this takes more resources (CPU or RAM) than the finalized loaded game.

I've also observed it with copying 1GB of files from one part of the phone to the next one, but whenever I wanted to reproduce it, I couldn't...

For this message for example I killed every other app that was opened and had no issues at all. Of course, it happens more often with AOSP keyboard enabled (it's not availafable in Kiwi browser) but I would still have some stuttering from the keyboard like missing keys or SOME ghost input. But without background processes it is fine.

• 2 months later...

I just want to inform you guys, that over two months later I actually updated my OS to LOS 17.1 with Android 10. I was fearing the update since last time I failed miserably and lost all my data. But the fear was unfounded, I didn't have to get confused with A/B slots and it was fast and easy.

Now it's my first six hours with the new OS but I haven't had ANY issues so far. It really seems to be fixed now and the system is way more responsive as well (it's actually fascinating how fast it is).
Time will tell if it will get slower over time but what I can definitely tell is that this is no hardware issue.

Thanks to tdm for working hard on the LineageOS!

Edit: indeed it's solved for 99%. Rarely I get some issue like I had before, maybe it's some Cache that gets littered up and cleared after an update.

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Now it's my first six hours with the new OS but I haven't had ANY issues so far. It really seems to be fixed now and the system is way more responsive as well (it's actually fascinating how fast it is).
Time will tell if it will get slower over time but what I can definitely tell is that this is no hardware issue.

Could you please check if camera also works well?
So if there are no focusing problems some members complained about.

I don't really know if that was LineageOS  related or hardware issue for them.
Also, it would be good to know if it is also applies to GCAM mods (if you may use it anyway).

12 hours ago, VaZso said:

Could you please check if camera also works well?
So if there are no focusing problems some members complained about.

I don't really know if that was LineageOS  related or hardware issue for them.
Also, it would be good to know if it is also applies to GCAM mods (if you may use it anyway).

Yes, I had indeed many problems with LOS 16 and focusing problems, especially in low light scenarios. I installed Open Camera, went to the advanced settings (I don't remember where you set it up) and used the manual focus for low light scenarios. I thought the fault was the hardware.

Autofocus is still slow in low light, but definitely improved. But in very low light when it can't focus I'll still use the manual focus.

• Thanks 2