Windows Development Chances?

So, I indegogo'd the Pro1 X with Ubuntu because it will be the closest to the phone that would be ideal for my usage case. However, my work environment would make Windows 10 a much easier integration (easier than Android and iOS) and I will be coming from an HP Elite X3 running Windows 10. So, my question is...how likely is the Windows 10 development to actually materialize. I hate to say it, but in my use case Windows (and Windows 10) on phones has been an actually great phone OS for me. So, kind of interested in how/what the development plan is. Thanks!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Spectre said:

So, I indegogo'd the Pro1 X with Ubuntu because it will be the closest to the phone that would be ideal for my usage case. However, my work environment would make Windows 10 a much easier integration (easier than Android and iOS) and I will be coming from an HP Elite X3 running Windows 10. So, my question is...how likely is the Windows 10 development to actually materialize. I hate to say it, but in my use case Windows (and Windows 10) on phones has been an actually great phone OS for me. So, kind of interested in how/what the development plan is. Thanks!

I haven't followed general Windows on ARM development but does it work well on other devices?
Also, do your Windows software you would like to use support API which were also developed for ARM?

I don't know how well x64 emulation works on it.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, VaZso said:

I haven't followed general Windows on ARM development but does it work well on other devices?
Also, do your Windows software you would like to use support API which were also developed for ARM?

I don't know how well x64 emulation works on it.

It works very well on the Lumia 950XL, but it lacks quite a lot on the CPU department unfortunatly.

x86 and x64 have emulation, even thou slow, on WoA. I ran CB R23 on my 950XL WoA, even thou the score was quite unimpressive 😅

But i follow the f(x)tech with a close eye, even thou i can't find much information w.r.t. progress.

Yeah, it works well on the HP Elite X3 I currently have and on the Alcatel Idol 4S I have also used. The Elite X3 is a better experience but that is due to HP's work on their specific software. The Idol 4S is a much more "stock" implementation and it was still a rock solid experience. Really, Windows 10 on phones has been better than on the desktop.

13 hours ago, Spectre said:

Yeah, it works well on the HP Elite X3 I currently have and on the Alcatel Idol 4S I have also used. The Elite X3 is a better experience but that is due to HP's work on their specific software. The Idol 4S is a much more "stock" implementation and it was still a rock solid experience. Really, Windows 10 on phones has been better than on the desktop.

Im Talking about running full blown Windows 10 Desktop enviroment on 950XL, not just Windows 10 Mobile 🙂

My 950XL can currently dual-boot windows 10 mobile and windows 10 ARM.

But i see you are mainly talking about windows 10 mobile, which, unfortunatly, is quite dead as a mobile OS 😕

• Like 1
6 hours ago, QWERTYAndreas said:

Im Talking about running full blown Windows 10 Desktop enviroment on 950XL, not just Windows 10 Mobile 🙂

My 950XL can currently dual-boot windows 10 mobile and windows 10 ARM.

But i see you are mainly talking about windows 10 mobile, which, unfortunatly, is quite dead as a mobile OS 😕

Well, the inly significant difference was the lack of Win32 apis for x86 since it was compiled solely for ARM processors. Indeed, it was originally developed as MS's ARM Windows 10 development and was slated to ship on ARM tablets. So, in that way it is even less divergent than Windows 10 (desktop) since it is the Windows 10 ARM deployment.

Either way, Windows 10 Mobile ARM or Windows 10 Desktop ARM will work in my environment as our tools leverage either since they function the same on both.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, IH8SpeedBumps said:

Valid question.  I'm actually typing this now on a Lenovo Miix 630 which runs a snapdragon 835. 🤔

Funny to think that the pro1 has more RAM than this thing too

Though it technically could be possible, it seems that Windows 10 is on the beefy side of what we can get from a processor like this, see e.g. this. What is you experience using the Miix?
This was their slightly hard wording:

Windows 10 on ARM can run apps that are natively compiled for ARM-based chips, including the Microsoft Edge web browser. And when running those applications, TechSpot notes that a Snapdragon 835 chip seems to be roughly equivalent to an Intel Celeron N3450 quad-core Apollo Lake processor.

But most popular Windows applications aren’t natively compiled for ARM, so Windows 10 on ARM uses emulation to let you run 32-bit x86 applications. The first thing to keep in mind is that there’s currently no support for 64-bit x86 apps. The second is that not all 32-bit apps will run either. And the third is that those that do run are a lot slower than native apps.

I stroke out part of this, as just a month ago MS announced a preview of the support of emulation for x64 apps too, so that should be fixed 'soon' 🙂

So though it for some usage could work well, the big question is if a port would be worth the effort, perhaps benefiting a small group only?
But that said I would certainly like to at the least try it if it was available. 🙂

Actually the experience on my Miix 630 isn't half bad. I use it for some light word docs with Libre Office, web surfing, spotify, email, and some simple gaming on Steam (Dugeons of Chaos).  It's only got 4GB RAM so I have to be very careful how I push it. So yeah, it's no speed demon or heavy gaming machine but for light usage, it totally gets the job done.

• Thanks 1
On 1/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Imagine being able to play the original Deus Ex on the Pro1.. holy shit.

I played Saints Row IV, Blur, Arkham City, GTA IV and Farcry Blood Dragon at 1080p mostly high settings and 30 to 60fps on a PC I made from flea market almost trash hardware, so I'm actually hyped to see full Win 10 on the Pro1 specs.

This is the PC I am talking about above:

https://builds.gg/builds/flekt-24990

Edited by Rud
On 1/17/2021 at 5:33 AM, EskeRahn said:

Though it technically could be possible, it seems that Windows 10 is on the beefy side of what we can get from a processor like this, see e.g. this. What is you experience using the Miix?
This was their slightly hard wording:

I stroke out part of this, as just a month ago MS announced a preview of the support of emulation for x64 apps too, so that should be fixed 'soon' 🙂

So though it for some usage could work well, the big question is if a port would be worth the effort, perhaps benefiting a small group only?
But that said I would certainly like to at the least try it if it was available. 🙂

Well, I only asked because the Windows 10 logo is shown on the product info for OS that are coming......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Spectre said:

Well, I only asked because the Windows 10 logo is shown on the product info for OS that are coming......

This is exactly why i am interested in the device (other than the physical keyboard, but my BB key2 solves that perfectly already)

On 1/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, Rud said:

I played Saints Row IV, Blur, Arkham City, GTA IV and Farcry Blood Dragon at 1080p mostly high settings and 30 to 60fps on a PC I made from flea market almost trash hardware, so I'm actually hyped to see full Win 10 on the Pro1 specs.

This is the PC I am talking about above:

https://builds.gg/builds/flekt-24990

Well, that PC is vastly more powerfull than what you would get on a phone with ARM emulating x86, for quite some time.. So don't get your hopes up. If you are into gaming, the GPD lineup of devices will cover you way better.

WoA on the Fxtec would be quite good for productivity, "docked desktop use" etc. But not for gaming. But i really can't find any information on development status, only that the telegram group is quite dead :/

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, QWERTYAndreas said:

WoA on the Fxtec would be quite good for productivity, "docked desktop use" etc. But not for gaming. But i really can't find any information on development status, only that the telegram group is quite dead 😕

Yeah, that (and that it was listed as in development) is what prompted my inquiry. I really hope there is a future for it.

Edited by Spectre
  • Like 1