How do I disable fast charging?

I would like to prolong battery life and stop the phone from thermal throttling when charging. 

I didn't manage to find a setting in options and getting a different charger isn't really an option, as the phone is mainly charging from one of my PC monitor's USB-C ports.

• Thanks 1

I would be interested in disabling fast charging on the software level, too. However, I fear that it may not be possible.

I am actually surprised your phone does fast charging from the monitor USB. Maybe you can switch that feature from the monitor settings?

Alternatively: try different USB ports on your PC. My Pro1 charges slowly when connected to my Thinkpad's docking station ports or to the laptop directly.

• Like 1

Look through your old stuff for a very early model USB-micro cable. Get a cheap (because they are) USB-micro to USB-C adapter and glue/ jam it on there. 
There you have it, a trustworthy cable, incapable of performing the handshake required to select fast charging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

I am actually surprised your phone does fast charging from the monitor USB. Maybe you can switch that feature from the monitor settings?

I assume it does so because that USB-C port on the monitor is actually to connect it to the PC so that the monitor USB3 ports would work.

It's pretty nifty doo, if I switch input on the monitor to USB-C, I get video from the phone on the monitor, anything I put in the monitor's USB3 ports is seen by the phone (memory sticks, keyboards, mice, etc.) and the phone charges at the same time.

The monitor is a Dell P2419HC (not sponsored 🙂)

Edited by Rud
  • Like 2

I have AccA installed, better but not ideal. I also use a big heatsink from an old audio amplifier, just putting the phone on when charging, as his back is covered with aluminium case, not bad, if you are not pressed (wich is my case).
For daily use I have an old universal USB charger wich deliver max 500mA, and it works for slow charging. The problem here is when I put an old 1/1,5 Amp charger, he is always throwling fast / slow charging and I guess it's not good for the battery.
But the trustworthy cable's tricks from @DieBruinesounds awesome, I wll give it a try  🙂 Another idea, maybe we should make the handshake disappear with some capacitor ? I will see this point and how it works, sounds interesting...
PS : has you see, I'm back, two months without keyboard, I can't do more 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, claude0001 said:

I would be interested in disabling fast charging on the software level, too. However, I fear that it may not be possible.

Alternatively: try different USB ports on your PC. My Pro1 charges slowly when connected to my Thinkpad's docking station ports or to the laptop directly.

Mine fast charges from my USB-C port on my laptop (Same port used to dock laptop and charge @ 230w) wonder my your think pad doesn't?

23 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Mine fast charges from my USB-C port on my laptop (Same port used to dock laptop and charge @ 230w) wonder my your think pad doesn't?

I's an X250. It has traditional USB-3.0 ports, not USB-C, both on the laptop as well as on the dock. That's probably why it (luckily 🙂) does not fast charge.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, claude0001 said:

I's an X250. It has traditional USB-3.0 ports, not USB-C, both on the laptop as well as on the dock. That's probably why it (luckily 🙂) does not fast charge.

Ah yes that will be why mine is a direct USB-C to USB-C

• Like 1