Pro1+Ubports a laptop killer?

I'm curious what everyone thinks about Pro1 running Ubuntu to eventually eliminate the need for a laptop. Ubuntu Touch when hooked up to a display, mouse and keyboard becomes a fully featured laptop class operating system with Pro1's hardware. A wireless charging hub that links the display would be very nice companion. 

I must say that I really do not understand your question.

The whole point of a laptop is that it does not rely on an external display, mouse and keyboard.

I believe the whole convergence thing in phones is much overrated. In my world, whenever I am close to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, a PC is most likely attached to those anyway. There is simply no need to bring my own (less powerful) computer to them to be productive.

IMHO, a portable computing device makes sense only if it is self-sufficient: It's task is to allow you to be productive precisely in the case you are far from any supporting infrastructure. E.g., my Pro1 allows me to do my computing tasks when I am in the middle of nowhere, using its built-in screen and keyboard. When I am at home or at work, it obviously cannot compete with the full-size workstations I have available there ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1

It would really depend on each person's workflow and requirement for their laptop. For hardcore users, it's definitely not a replacement for your laptop.

Also, the software  of UT isn't ready yet. It needs a lot of works especially for the desktop use cases. And in my opinion, for a proper laptop replacement, we need a laptop dock where the phone isn't docked externally, something similar to Razr's.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, claude0001 said:

IMHO, a portable computing device makes sense only if it is self-sufficient: It's task is to allow you to be productive precisely in the case you are far from any supporting infrastructure.

Once, and I think really only once, there used to be a phone, that could be inserted into a bigger (dumb) screen that made it a tablet, which again could be mounted to a (dumb) keyboard, which made it a laptop – everything powered by the phone. I can't remember the manufacturer, though – Acer? Asus? 

For everything with less integration I'd actually prefer using separate components, too.

• Like 1

Both Acer and Asus had those models. And let's not forget the Motorola dock, I had those also. Worked good enough for me and my Droid 4 / Phonton Q!

I've ordered a GPD Win 3 for exactly the reasons claude0001 is describing. If my Pro1 had GPD Win 3 power, I wouldn't need a desktop anymore. Just a docking station would be enough. Self-sufficient yes, but not necessarily up to spec or 100% productivity (when on the road). I think there's a big gap between laptops and smartphones. Both in productivity and processing power. A lot of people, like me, would settle for a small package capable of anything when docked and almost anything on the road. And to answer your initial question Ivel, in my case the Pro1 just falls short.

Edited by DieBruine

Though this is technical possible I also stuggle to see a real use case. Sure in rare occations you might want to show an image rather than sending it to a laptop first.

And a cheap laptop would not be much more expensive than a monitor, keyboard and usb-dock. And would give a much better experience for close to any use case I can imagine.

Their might be some special security use-case I have overlooked in this though, where you would be more secure connectin at a remote location vithout having to borrow a pc out of your control.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:18 AM, claude0001 said:

I must say that I really do not understand your question.

The whole point of a laptop is that it does not rely on an external display, mouse and keyboard.

I believe the whole convergence thing in phones is much overrated. In my world, whenever I am close to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, a PC is most likely attached to those anyway. There is simply no need to bring my own (less powerful) computer to them to be productive.

IMHO, a portable computing device makes sense only if it is self-sufficient: It's task is to allow you to be productive precisely in the case you are far from any supporting infrastructure. E.g., my Pro1 allows me to do my computing tasks when I am in the middle of nowhere, using its built-in screen and keyboard. When I am at home or at work, it obviously cannot compete with the full-size workstations I have available there ...

I think it depends on personal preference.

Since the early 2000's I always wanted phones to move towards a min laptop and I also love the idea of having a device in your pocket that becomes a PC when you plug it it to whatever hardware is available where you are at that time.

The same as more functionality can be attained by plugging an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, GPU or other hardware to a laptop.

So the concept of having a computing core that can extend its functionality in any area depending of what you attach to it is straight up what I am looking for in portable devices.

But I'm the cyberpunk kind of guy that has a mini CRT TV as a monitor next to my 4k ultrawide ('cause Twin Peaks needs to be in 4:3 and on a CRT), or that used to carry mini HDMI to HDMI cables, a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo and a mini USB to full USB adapter for my Nokia E7-00 when I traveled. So I would like to see not only useful features in products, but fun and imaginative ones too. :))

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Rud said:

Since the early 2000's I always wanted phones to move towards a min laptop ...

Well, me too, and that is exactly how I use my Pro1. Not with Ubuntu, though.

My point is that, for a phone to work as a miniature "laptop", all the functionality must be there in principle without carrying external devices along. For that is what a laptop is: a standalone all-in-one machine that has all required peripherals built-in. That you can extend functionality by plugging even more stuff into the device is a bonus, not a requirement.

This does however not seem to be what the OP have in mind: they seem to refer to the so-called "convergence" mode of operation, where the phone is an ordinary phone (with ordinary phone apps) when held in hand, and transforms into a desktop (not laptop!) PC only when connected to a USB dock with mouse, keyboard and screen.

Yes, that may seems like a cool feature at first. But I still cannot see many practical applications for it. If I simply want/need to carry my own small "docking" Linux PC along, but do not require it to work stand-alone when on-the-go, this can be accomplished in a (much) cheaper, easier, and arguably better way using a Raspberry Pi: Thanks to hardware support -- which Ubuntu's Libertine (like all chroot/container solutions on Android kernels) does not have -- a recent Raspberry is in fact more performant at running desktop Linux apps than a Pro1. Sad but unfortunately true 🙂

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1