PRO1, LineageOS 17.1 JeBB [unofficial]

Beloved community, here it is: Another up-to-date outdated ROM to satisfy your custom ROM fetish.

LineageOS 17.1 JeBB "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!" is (so far) a slightly modified build that will be updated in irregular intervals. Future builds may contain additional fixes, or I may attempt to fix things with a Magisk module ... "may" is the important word here 😉

This build can be installed from scratch like any LineageOS build (LineageOS Wiki).

Dirty-flashing from the last official LineageOS 17.1 is possible, but the official signature keys have to be exchanged for my own signature keys (these are different from the LineageOS test keys!). The keys can only be changed on a running LineageOS system because there is no recovery for the Pro1 that can decrypt /data, where the keys are stored. The procedure is not overly difficult, although there is a potential to break things, in which case you have to install this ROM from scratch and lose your data in the process. The keys only have to be changed once, as long as you keep using this particular ROM.

The signature keys from LineageOS are assigned to various system apps in /data/system/packages.xml. These keys can be changed by "flashing" migration-official-to-jebb.zip with Franco Kernel Manager or Smart Flasher. You need root for this, of course. Alternatively to "flashing" the .zip, you can also execute the script inside the .zip (\META-INF\com\google\android\update-binary). Cautious people can verify which keys were changed and if they were changed correctly by comparing the old packages.xml.bak with the new packages.xml. Transfer the files to your PC and search for the respective release and jebb keys in update-binary. Once the keys are changed, do not reboot into the old system! Otherwise the system apps, with now mismatching keys, will be prevented from running and their data will be deleted by Android. Instead, boot into the recovery directly, or by switching off your phone and starting it holding volume down + power until you reach the fastboot prompt. From there, follow the install/update instructions:

Installation/updating

In fastboot mode, scroll through the boot options with volume up/down, and chose Recovery with power.

In the LineageOS recovery, go to Advanced and Enable ADB. Then, tap Apply update and Apply from ADB. Connect the Pro1 to your PC, open a terminal and start the installation/update with
adb sideload lineage-17.1-20210906_signed-ota_update.zip (change the name of the .zip for newer versions)
The terminal output will stop at ~47% for a few minutes, while the ROM gets installed. The process finishes with adb: failed to read command: No error in the terminal (yes, that's normal). The Pro1 will return to the recovery after a successful installation.

If you have Open GApps or MindTheGapps, you have to switch to the slot where LineageOS was installed. Tap the back arrow, then tap Advanced and Reboot to recovery. Once the recovery has rebooted from the other slot, go to Advanced  and Enable ADB again. Then, tap Apply update and Apply from ADB. In your PC's terminal install GApps or MindTheGapps with
adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-10.0-pico-20201120.zip (change the name of the .zip to whatever you want to install)

For Magisk, rinse and repeat (like with the GApps installation: Apply update and Apply from ADB)
adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.apk (change the name of the .apk/.zip to whatever you want to install)

Finally, tap the back arrow and Reboot system now.

In case of
    Signature verification failed
    Install anyway?

Simply confirm with Yes.

Downloads (androidfilehost.com)

lineage-17.1-20220303-pro1-JeBB.zip (SHA1: f4cc25f22275f132f29f2aaf6e35dc4cc3291a54)

migration-release-test-jebb_220308.zip (SHA1: a5a9531ccd89a50f01d91a5176c8110d2a94f0a0)

Change log 20220303:

• All patches from lineage-16.0-20220225-UNOFFICIAL by claude0001
  • More granular touch screen margin control (6 steps with 8px increments, instead of 3 steps with 16px increments)
  • Bluetooth file transfer accepts all MIME types (you don't need ssh any more to transfer "awesomest_game_cracked_surely_not_an_exploit.sh")

Source

Device tree source code: LineageOS/android_device_fxtec_pro1

Kernel source code: LineageOS/android_kernel_fxtec_msm8998

Patches: @claude0001 (http://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1)

Build for yourself: LineageOS Wiki

20220303_bluetooth_accept_all_MIME_types.patch 20220303_more_granular_touch_screen_margin_control_p1of2.patch 20220303_more_granular_touch_screen_margin_control_p2of2.patch

• Thanks 6
8 minutes ago, Slion said:

Why do you need 17.1?

Google and Lineage are going the wrong way, making things too "secure" and "fool proof". Root and SD-cards are a good example of the things the future won't hold. I feel that power-users have to bend over backwards to use their devices the way they want. So that's what I did. I bent over backwards ... and gave birth to an old-timer 🤰👴  😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Google and Lineage are going the wrong way, making things too "secure" and "fool proof". Root and SD-cards are a good example of the things the future won't hold.

As you know, I feel the same.

But in all fairness, let's say that Lineage is not actively going that way. It simply maintains compatibility with the respective Android release, which does make sense, right?

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

As you know, I feel the same.

But in all fairness, let's say that Lineage is not actively going that way. It simply maintains compatibility with the respective Android release, which does make sense, right?

Sure, its their choice. And I fully understand that Lineage is not in the position to lead Android development and force Google to adapt. Still, I feel like this is the end of the road for me. (Edit: And I am very thankful for the work everyone has done with LineageOS! Lineage is clearly the better Android, and they rescued countless devices from an early obsolescence.)

(Warning: Old-man-rant approaching!)

Google's choice to develop Android the way they did made sense, back in the olden days. But they quickly gained marked shares, followed by absolute power. Despite that, they continued like before. Because: Money. We all want to see that sweet sweet money in our bank accounts.

Look at Android 2.3, garnished with a good launcher and keyboard, and the Xposed framework with customisation modules like GravityBox. We have Android 11 now, and the biggest difference is Material Design. Yes, there are more changes below the surface. But a lot could have been accomplished by a modular design where apps introduce new features and looks. I loathe the release of a "major" Android version every year by Google. I loathe how easy it is for manufacturers to drop support for "old" devices because "We can't be bothered to release major updates for longer than 2-3 years ... from the date a device was released, not the end of sale, of course". I loathe the decision to cripple SD-cards more and more with every new Android version. They could have used an appropriate file system and coded a driver for Windows, so that 99% of all people can access them on their PC. I loathe that Google restricts root with "features" like SafetyNet, but refuses to give us control over our devices at the same time. I decide which services, receivers, activities and file providers each and every single app on my phone is allowed to use.

The end.

(And don't get me started again, there is much more were that came from 😁 Also, no hard feelings, I can be ironic and even sarcastic some times 🙃)

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Slion said:

Is it not working anymore on 18.1?

SD-cards are still working in Android 11. The difference is that apps are forced to use Scoped Storage exclusively. From November 2021, targeting Android 10 to circumvent the Scoped Storage API will be forbidden.

This means that direct file access is impossible. Every file access has to be routed through Scoped Storage. The point is to prevent apps from accessing data on the SD-card they are not supposed to access. And it is supposed to reduce clutter. So, instead of using an appropriate file system for SD-cards (like F2FS or ext4 without journaling), Google introduced a high level "file security" API. For some applications, file access through the API will not make a difference for users. In other cases, file access will be slower than before. Google can grant file explorers full access to the root of the SD-card. But even then, I assume all file access will be handled by Scoped Storage and slow down file operations. Apps that previously used "public" folders on the SD-card to share files (like pod-casts or music), might lose this possibility and save their files in their "private" /Android/data/app-name space.

https://www.androidcentral.com/what-scoped-storage

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-all-files-access-permission-form/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
4 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

The difference is that apps are forced to use Scoped Storage exclusively.

Yeah, I've had to do changes in Fulguris for that stuff. What's nice though is that you can support any kind of Cloud storage through those APIs. It's totally transparent for the app developer which is pretty awesome I find. For instance where before in Fulguris you could do only local backup now you can manage Cloud backup in the same way.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Long time no see 😁 I uploaded a new build 💩

Is there a way to "bump" this thread when I edit the first posting? Or do I have to reply to the thread each time I want to make people aware of a new build?

Pretty sure editing the first post won't bump the thread.

• Like 1

Time for a new build. My old mirror raid needed some action.

This time, I included some patches that @claude0001 backported to LOS16. I also made the touch screen margin control more granular, so you might want to check if the settings are to your liking. And, this build got rid of the Bluetooth file transfer MIME type restriction.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

And, this build got rid of the Bluetooth file transfer MIME type restriction.

Interesting. I wasn't aware there were file types one could not send via bluetooth. But you are right: shell scripts are not accepted for me either. Not that I use BT file transfer much (ssh rules!), but I might still include this in my next ROM, too. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Just a small update: I had to make a new build because the first build of 17.1-20220303 was erroneously signed with test keys. If anyone installed a build with the test key instead of my own key, make sure to check "/data/system/packages.xml" and change test keys to my (JeBB) keys before you update (see instructions in the first posting).

In case anyone is interested to learn a new language, here are some LOS build basics: http://www.trcompu.com/MySmartPhone/AndroidKitchen/Breakfast-Brunch-Lunch.html

Don't brunch after mka ... otherwise you'll get a tummy ache ... I learned my lesson 😁

And here is the source for the Bluetooth MIME type patch: http://dalvikplanet.blogspot.com/2020/05/how-to-force-lineageos-android-to.html

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 17.1 JeBB [unofficial]