Physical keyboard doesn't work

16 hours ago, wrc08 said:

1. I can determine if there is a hardware or software failure in the physical keyboard

Actually, I just thought of a more simple test for this.

I realised that the Lineage (16.0) recovery system supports the Pro1's hardware keyboard: when I boot into recovery, I can navigate through its menu using the up/down-arrow, return, and backspace keys on the keyboard.

Could you check if this works on your phone? If yes, this would clearly demonstrate that the keyboard itself is fine. If not, I think it would be strong indication of a hardware failure and your chances of fixing things by reinstalling the system would be slim ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Starting from 17.1 you have to use Magisk for rooting, which I am sure will work, but may require to do differently whatever you are using your root access for.

You can (at least up to Magisk 23-- since my Pro1 is in for repairs, I haven't tried version 24) rename the apk as a zip file and flash it, just as you do with SUaddon.  It will give you root  without Magisk manager and any boot sector dance. This method is depreciated, but it works.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Hook said:

Did you ever try Eske's suggestion to uninstall apps one at a time  testing the keyboard after each uninstall?  If not, I would insert that after step 1 in your list as, if there is a software culprit and you find it, you can save the reflashing  and restoring the bad app. 

I have frozen all apps with Titanium. Then reboot and the keyboard didn't work.

Uninstalling should have the same effect, right?

5 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Actually, I just thought of a more simple test for this.

I realised that the Lineage (16.0) recovery system supports the Pro1's hardware keyboard: when I boot into recovery, I can navigate through its menu using the up/down-arrow, return, and backspace keys on the keyboard.

Could you check if this works on your phone? If yes, this would clearly demonstrate that the keyboard itself is fine. If not, I think it would be strong indication of a hardware failure and your chances of fixing things by reinstalling the system would be slim ...

You mean the recovery mode with "volume- button" and "power button" at the same time?

21 hours ago, wrc08 said:

I searched the internet a bit and read:

My planned approach now would be as follows:
1. I make a full backup of the Pro1 with ADB (adb backup -all)
2. I reinstall LineageOS, either the 16 again or the 18, probably doesn't matter
3. I am testing the physical keyboard
4. I restore the full backup using ADB.

My goals are:

1. I can determine if there is a hardware or software failure in the physical keyboard
2. After the test, the phone works as it is now, so everything works, except the physical keyboard

Am I wrong somewhere? Does this work as I think?

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Somehow the backup doesn't run. The backup file is too small.

5 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Concerning:

As you mentioned earlier, your present system is rooted.

It might thus be of interest to you that LineageOS 16.0 was the last major release with built-in root management ("AddonSU").

Starting from 17.1 you have to use Magisk for rooting, which I am sure will work, but may require to do differently whatever you are using your root access for.

Thank you for that hint.

@EskeRahn, @Hookand @claude0001thank you for your support and for sharing your experience.

1 hour ago, wrc08 said:

You mean the recovery mode with "volume- button" and "power button" at the same time?

Yes that's what I mean.

"Volume Up+Power" boots to the Lineage recovery system (which you used for flashing Lineage initially).

Not to be confused with "Volume Down+Power" which takes you to the bootloader (which does not have keyboard support).

• Like 1

What if I by a new Pro1...?.

Is there a way to completely back up my old Pro1 and transfer it to the new one?

If the keyboard is broken, I need a new Pro1 anyway...

...and two Pro1 are better than one... (;-) So that it works as the old one.

Just as a last resort: What version of LineageOS 16.0 are you using, exactly? Go to "Settings -> About Phone -> Android Version 9": that will show the "LineageOS version" string. If it is a really early release, one could check if keyboard support in recovery was added only later during development ... I wouldn't count on it though.

28 minutes ago, wrc08 said:

Unfortunately, there are no new Pro1s to buy. The Pro1X is a completely different phone, so it will not be possible to transfer your LOS 16.0 to it.

I would contact F(x)tec and try to send them the phone for repair. Despite all the bad experience regarding their responsiveness reported here, there are people who have had their phone repaired without any trouble.

Alternatively, you could open-up your Pro1 and look for the connection. But as far as I understand the guide, the process involves a hot air gun and and almost complete disassembly of the bottom part of the phone. I am not sure if I would try it myself.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, wrc08 said:

Is there a way to completely back up my old Pro1 and transfer it to the new one?

If the keyboard is broken, I need a new Pro1 anyway...

...and two Pro1 are better than one... (;-) So that it works as the old one.

The Pro1 is no longer available.  There is the Pro1x coming out, but we do not yet know exactly when. Hopefully soon, but nothing is for sure.  You can find information at their crowdfunding page. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pro1-x-smartphone-functionality-choice-control/x/17980121?secret_perk_token=3965f501#/comments

Main difference is different SOC (sd662-- Feb 2021 update explains it).

You can also buy in store, but they may or may not be able to deliver it in Feb as they say, so only order the Pro1x either place if you can afford to wait.

https://www.fxtec.com/pro1x

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
On 2/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, claude0001 said:

Just as a last resort: What version of LineageOS 16.0 are you using, exactly? Go to "Settings -> About Phone -> Android Version 9": that will show the "LineageOS version" string. If it is a really early release, one could check if keyboard support in recovery was added only later during development ... I wouldn't count on it though.

@claude0001Sorry, I overlooked your post.

The version is 16.0-20201019-NIGHTLY-pro1.

Just hypothetically: Could I transfer the system to another Pro1 if I had one?

47 minutes ago, wrc08 said:

The version is 16.0-20201019-NIGHTLY-pro1.

That's the last official build that was made at lineageos.org. I am using my own builds since then but have never changed anything on the recovery system. So I think the keyboard should work in your version, too.

Concerning transfer of your apps and settings I do not know. There are backup solutions that are supposed to be able to do that, but I have never used any of those.

Edited by claude0001
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I experienced the same issue as you are describing, for me it is a hardware issue. The Keyboard-Flex cable was bent too sharply under the battery and cracked. There is no way to replace that without tearing apart the glued keyboard. I was recommended to get the whole keyboard-faceplate replaced.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

unfortunately I still haven't been able to solve the problem.

@Noir, have you changed the keyboard yet?

@All: Where and how can I buy a keyboard as a spare part?

How difficult is it, to change the keyboard?