Charging issues with my Pro1

Recently my Pro1 has been giving me grief with charging shenanigans.
Sometimes it won't charge or charges so slowly it can take up to 4 or 5 hours to charge as little as 5%.
When it's plugged into the charger and being used it will discharge at a rate of around 5-10% an hour and when it goes into standby after use it either won't start charging again or it will take literally ages to charge back to full capacity.
I've run it right down to empty to see if a full charge from 0% would make any difference. I have plugged in a tester and taken a photo of the readings. Have a look and see what you think, as I don't think it's showing a fault, but I could be wrong.spacer.png

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, MickH said:

Recently my Pro1 has been giving me grief with charging shenanigans.
Sometimes it won't charge or charges so slowly it can take up to 4 or 5 hours to charge as little as 5%.
When it's plugged into the charger and being used it will discharge at a rate of around 5-10% an hour and when it goes into standby after use it either won't start charging again or it will take literally ages to charge back to full capacity.

I have the same problem since a while.

If it shows "slow charging", I have to move or turn around the Type-C connector until I see "Charging" and see if it remains "Charging" instead of switching back to "slow charging" which practically means it may even discharge overnight or at least it will not gain usable charge.

This is because my Type-C connector has started to worn, more at one side and less at its other side, so I see conductors in the connector are in bad condition.

I have contacted F(x)tec about this problem and they have promised me to "book" a replacement USB board for me on 4th of Januarry but radio silence since then...

I have started to rotate the cable until it make some force to Type-C connector of the phone and so far it seems to be somewhat working to charge it overnight (without that force it does not charge anymore)... however, this force is not good even for the cable, not speaking about the force at the Type-C connector itself...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, VaZso said:

I have the same problem since a while.

If it shows "slow charging", I have to move or turn around the Type-C connector until I see "Charging" and see if it remains "Charging" instead of switching back to "slow charging" which practically means it may even discharge overnight or at least it will not gain usable charge.

This is because my Type-C connector has started to worn, more at one side and less at its other side, so I see conductors in the connector are in bad condition.

I have contacted F(x)tec about this problem and they have promised me to "book" a replacement USB board for me on 4th of Januarry but radio silence since then...

I have started to rotate the cable until it make some force to Type-C connector of the phone and so far it seems to be somewhat working to charge it overnight (without that force it does not charge anymore)... however, this force is not good even for the cable, not speaking about the force at the Type-C connector itself...

Bingo! Exactly how it works for me.

The USB connector used to to "click" when it was pushed into the socket. It no longer does that now.

Looks like I'll have to contact Fxtec and join the queue for a new socket.

• Sad 1

There might be some dirt or lint in the charging port if it doesn't click anymore, it can be cleaned very carefully. The usb port on the phone is very sturdy and i say it won't fail easily, my unit had the cable that is connecting the usb to the mainboard loose and it was easy to fix when i opened the phone. Symptoms then were that it started charging only when i tilted the charging cable.

• Like 2
On 2/15/2022 at 6:57 AM, Kaali said:

There might be some dirt or lint in the charging port if it doesn't click anymore, it can be cleaned very carefully. The usb port on the phone is very sturdy and i say it won't fail easily, my unit had the cable that is connecting the usb to the mainboard loose and it was easy to fix when i opened the phone. Symptoms then were that it started charging only when i tilted the charging cable.

I'm beginning to think it's the battery actually. It's been on charge now for 4 hours and is showing 71% and 14 hours until fully charged 😧

Damn thing's going backwards.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:13 AM, MickH said:

I'm beginning to think it's the battery actually. It's been on charge now for 4 hours and is showing 71% and 14 hours until fully charged 😧

Damn thing's going backwards.

Really sounds like the LineageOS charging bug. Have you tried if it charges normally after a reboot?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Kaali said:

Really sounds like the LineageOS charging bug. Have you tried if it charges normally after a reboot?

I'm not running LineageOS, but I think I've cracked it, which leads me to believe that it was caused by wear and tear on the charger cable. As I mentioned previously the cable I was using wasn't clicking into the port. Over the last day and a half I've been using another cable, which does click into the port and the battery has actually charged while the handset is in use even when watching streaming TV and HD videos.

In conclusion I'm wondering if the worn 'C' connector wasn't making contact correctly and maybe causing arcing rather than a reliable connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick update on this issue.

I have 4 cables of various manufacture and only 1 of these will charge the Pro1 correctly. The strange thing is 2 of these cables are official FxTec Pro1 cables 1 of which I am using now from the 2A output of a TPLink 10400 mAh power bank and the Pro1 is charging all fine and dandy. 🤨 I'm totally miffed by this.

This is the power bank I'm using at present and it's charging like a rocket.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since my original post but the battery seems to be behaving itself much better lately. It's charging to 100% better and holding charge more now.

There's been a few network issues around my location recently, loss of signal, poor reception and for the first time in like years my Pro1 has suddenly gone and restarted randomly whilst out on the road at 3 locations. Strange thing is my Sailfish Xperia 10 II has done the same in exactly the same locations. 2 different manufacturers, 2 different operating systems, both at the one time. I'm pretty sure we can say it's a network issue, but my network provider says it isn't.

Curious.

• Like 1