Renegade Project (Booting Windows on ARM)

edk2-porting/edk2-msm8998 (github.com)

Anyone heard of this? Booting UEFI for some Qualcomm chips to boot Windows 11, and there's a port for the 835.

OG Pro 1 seems like a prime candidate, the landscape keyboard would make so much more sense with a full blown desktop operating system.

Run Windows 11 on phone! And play PC games?!!! - YouTube

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Like 2
On 4/3/2022 at 8:17 PM, ToniCipriani said:

Anyone heard of this?

I had heard of it. Technically, it looks like an awesome project.

The only reason I did not dig deeper is that I am no Windows person, full stop. I achieved my (Linux) laptop experience with the Pro1 quite some time ago and and have been a happy camper since. The big advantage of a Linux desktop is that it can run in parallel with Android (using the same Kernel) so that you do not sacrifice any "smartphone" use cases in favour of running the desktop OS.

I do envy them for their accelerated 3D graphics though, which is not at all possible with my solution as of today. 😞

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
On 4/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, claude0001 said:

I do envy them for their accelerated 3D graphics though, which is not at all possible with my solution as of today. 😞

They also have the advantage of having x86 emulation, thus pretty much everything that runs on Windows will work. You can always try to get WSL working in it, lol.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

They also have the advantage of having x86 emulation

On Linux, there are tons of solutions for running x86(-64) code on aarch64 efficiently. Besides traditional qemu, there are new projects like FEX and Box86/64 that, reportedly, can do amazing things.

However, most of the time, emulation is just not necessary. Linux has supported ARM for so long that every major distribution has an aarch64 branch containing (almost 😉 ) all the software you will ever need ... 

I'm not so friend with windows (I mean windows OS after xp service pack 2), but having a pro1 with a linux container or whatever other solution in order to have a microcomputer OS in pocket is a must-have for me.
For example I often use a linux container to access some fonctionnalities in websites, who don't let me use the full-fonctionnalities without installing an intrusive app.
And it's practical when android (or LOS here) don't let you share an unknown-file-extension.
So I'm very curious about the possibility having a windows running on it. Funny !

1 hour ago, raymo said:

having a pro1 with a linux container ...

I probably shouldn't have hijacked this thread for advertising Debian-on-Android containers/chroots. While I love to have that possibility with my Pro1, and use it every day, this is technically not comparable to running a foreign OS on the device. 

What we actually do, is just run a second userland on the existing Android Linux kernel, which is rather trivial and probably considered "cheating" by the authors of Project Renegade. 🙂  

The cool thing about Project Renegade is that it can run Windows ARM (or an upstream Linux kernel and OS!) natively on the mobile device. Technically, that's very impressive. The practical usefulness is probably limited, though, as you'll hardly be able to use the device as a phone while running Windows or a desktop Linux distribution. I do not know, if dual-booting with Android would be feasible.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, SCΛRECROW said:

I'll give it a shot since my Pro1 is no longer my daily driver, no promises to when I'll get around to it though.

Think this one might be dead in the water for SD835.

Would have been fun to try, but no audio, wifi or cellular kills it for me: https://wiki.renegade-project.cn/en/state

As an aside, W10 22H2 going forward has dropped support for ARMv8 as well.

Edited by SCΛRECROW
Punctuation!
  • Thanks 2