Working ROMs for the Pro1

Dumb question, but I can't seem to locate an answer...

I see that there are now a bunch of ROMs available for the Pro1 from this thread:

This looks promising, but where does one find a list of the bugs, and features which are broken, and/or pros/cons for each one without reading though all the messages in each thread?

Of those using Lineage OS, which ROM do you find works the best?

There are no easy to access list currently/yet.

Some bugs are general for the OS, and some are specific for the Pro1.

It would great if some took the job of maintaining such lists. Especially for the issues that are specific for the Pro1.
The info IS generally available in each of the linked thread. But quite a bit of work to extract the issues, and remove those that have been fixed since the issue was posted.

So If you (or someone else) took the time to do this, it would surely help others in deciding which one is best for them.

It is unlikely that it is the same ROM for all that is best, as they all got their pros and cons, and the weighting of what is most important is a very subjective mater depending on the usage pattern of each user.

Ouch!  Not sure I have the time to do this! :classic_biggrin: I do see how it would be very beneficial though!

As someone who is finally attempting to using the Pro1 (I received it in 2020, but too many problems and issues back then so back in the box it went), this would be an enormous help.

Does VoLTE work better in some LOS ROMs than others? I can't get VoLTE working in LOS 16 and not sure if the ROM supports it.

27 minutes ago, TechLvr said:

Does VoLTE work better in some LOS ROMs than others? I can't get VoLTE working in LOS 16 and not sure if the ROM supports it.

I do not know, but for SOME vendors it is also a matter of the carrier white-listing the device.
I wrote this quite a while ago.

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I do not know, but for SOME vendors it is also a matter of the carrier white-listing the device.
I wrote this quite a while ago.

Interesting info, thank you. I tried AT&T here in the western US back in 2020 and the SIM worked fine, but not VoLTE. It always placed voice calls via GSM/UMTS. I'm told that nowadays AT&T has implemented device restrictions, and the Pro1 isn't an approved device so it's pointless.

The other big carrier out here is Verizon and one can still use CDMA for voice, but the device definitely needs to be approved to do so and the Pro1 isn't.  Doesn't matter because CDMA voice is going away at the end of the year anyway. I have VoLTE active on a Samsung phone via Verizon, but when I swap the SIM card into the Pro1 it doesn't provide voice or SMS messaging. When I go into the *#*#INFO#*#* phone info screen, the VoLTE switch, as well as the others, are in the off position and grayed out so I can't change them. 

Visible is also a Verizon product, but they don't enforce, at least yet, approved devices. I have several unapproved devices working flawlessly on their system. Unfortunately though, I can't get the Pro1 working with them. Again, it auto-recognizes the APNs now that I edited the list and pushed it back to the device, and obtains LTE signal, but the SMS over IMS and VoLTE voice are completely dead.

I'm trying to figure out if one ROM over others would be better for solving this problem.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TechLvr said:

I'm trying to figure out if one ROM over others would be better for solving this problem.

In my person experience Lineage was better than stock BUT neither worked for me as the carriers I tried do not accept the device.

9 hours ago, TechLvr said:

Interesting info, thank you. I tried AT&T here in the western US back in 2020 and the SIM worked fine, but not VoLTE. It always placed voice calls via GSM/UMTS. I'm told that nowadays AT&T has implemented device restrictions, and the Pro1 isn't an approved device so it's pointless.

The other big carrier out here is Verizon and one can still use CDMA for voice, but the device definitely needs to be approved to do so and the Pro1 isn't.  Doesn't matter because CDMA voice is going away at the end of the year anyway. I have VoLTE active on a Samsung phone via Verizon, but when I swap the SIM card into the Pro1 it doesn't provide voice or SMS messaging. When I go into the *#*#INFO#*#* phone info screen, the VoLTE switch, as well as the others, are in the off position and grayed out so I can't change them. 

Visible is also a Verizon product, but they don't enforce, at least yet, approved devices. I have several unapproved devices working flawlessly on their system. Unfortunately though, I can't get the Pro1 working with them. Again, it auto-recognizes the APNs now that I edited the list and pushed it back to the device, and obtains LTE signal, but the SMS over IMS and VoLTE voice are completely dead.

Have you tried these steps that seem to work for some?

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Hook said:

Have you tried these steps that seem to work for some?

Did not try it with Verizon only Visible, which is owned by them. When I put the SIM in it's able to connect to LTE data, but not SMS over IMS and no VoLTE whatsoever.

I remember a post by @tdm which said the telephony driver bits in LineageOS were unchanged with respect to Stock Android 9. Considering that enabling VoLTE et al. for a given device is up to the carriers, is there any reason to believe that installing (whatever version of) LineageOS would improve anything here?

Screw this. I should have followed @EskeRahn's link above which shows that going from Stock to LineageOS did enable VoLTE for him. Lesson learned.

Edited by claude0001
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TechLvr said:

Did not try it with Verizon only Visible, which is owned by them. When I put the SIM in it's able to connect to LTE data, but not SMS over IMS and no VoLTE whatsoever.

So what do you see when you dial dial

*#*#4636#*#*

and chose phone info (step 6 in the post I linked)?  Is the VoLTE provisioning switch on or is it grayed  out.?  Right now I'm using Ting on my Pro1, but I know I had Verizon working on LOS before I had to send my Pro1 in for repairs for a while.  I was  thinking of making another attempt when I get my Pro1x.

By the way, Visible roundly rejects my IMEI for my Pro1.  (Ting does not) so it seems like they are using the same sorts of procedures as regular Verizon.  They are passing themselves off as a MNVO, but I'm not sure I believe it. 😉

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hook said:

So what do you see when you dial dial

*#*#4636#*#*

and chose phone info (step 6 in the post I linked)?  Is the VoLTE provisioning switch on or is it grayed  out.?  Right now I'm using Ting on my Pro1, but I know I had Verizon working on LOS before I had to send my Pro1 in for repairs for a while.  I was  thinking of making another attempt when I get my Pro1x.

Yes, as I mentioned above the VoLTE switch, as well as all of them other than Radio Power, are not only grayed out, but are in the off position and grayed out! However, if I swap the SIM into the phone it came from, all the switches are not grayed out and are in the on position. VoLTE works on that phone, and a handful of others that I have as well (some with LOS ROMs), it's only the Pro1 where it doesn't work.

Excuse my extreme lack of knowledge here, but what is the Ting ROM? I don't see it listed on the ROMs page. Also, do you like it and would you recommend it?

2 hours ago, Hook said:

By the way, Visible roundly rejects my IMEI for my Pro1.  (Ting does not) so it seems like they are using the same sorts of procedures as regular Verizon.  They are passing themselves off as a MNVO, but I'm not sure I believe it. 😉

Wait, what??? AFAIK, Visible doesn't enforce approved devices unless one is considered an abuser. I have three separate unapproved devices (I'm not including the Pro1 here) using Visible daily. All, have been activated via their app on an approved device then the SIM put into an unapproved device. Never a had a problem. Furthermore, my Pro1 with LOS16 signs into Visible's LTE data network. I can use unlimited data, hot spot, and MMS messaging, just don't have access to SMS or voice. If they rejected my Pro1's IMEI nothing would work, no?

Now Verizon is a whole other issue, they flat out rejected the Pro1's IMEI and blocked my phone from that network, both CDMA and LTE.

As for it being an MNVO, that's crap. It may be a separate company, but it's a daughter company run, at least at the top, by Verizon. I know as I got in way back and when I complained about early issues, I (eventually) received responses from Verizon's corporate offices. When I told them I wasn't interested in speaking with Verizon's corporate office (it was a VP in particular), but wanted Visible's, I was told they are one in the same and the same VP heads both companies.

Ting isn't a ROM, it's a T-Mobile based MVNO.

As for the MVNO thing with Visible, I was merely remarking that they really try to pretend on their website that they aren't exactly Verizon, just using Verizon's network.  Looks like I was right, sadly. 

I was able to get Verizon to work for a while, twice, once with stock and once with LOS, on the Pro1 using the steps posted in the thread I linked to.  But since I have decent T-Mobile coverage where I am, I decided to stop fighting with Verizon. I went first with T-mobile , then with Ting (I had a $15 a month deal with 1GB data with T mobile, but then switched that sim to my Pinephone.  When I went back to T-Mobile for the same deal for the Pro1, it was gone, but I found the same deal with Ting).

Obviously, it depends on how good your coverage is with any given network whether you have a lot of options.

I'm  sure the folks here from other countries just shake their head at what US carriers get away with.

1 hour ago, TechLvr said:

I can use unlimited data, hot spot, and MMS messaging, just don't have access to SMS or voice. If they rejected my Pro1's IMEI nothing would work, no?

Well, actually, I don't know.  When I got Verizon working the first time, on stock, it worked for 3 months and then SMS stopped working.  My guess would be that whatever server handles SMS noticed that it wasn't an approved phone, but I really don't know enough about how this stuff works.  However, I had to have SMS.

My solution was to deconverge.  I keep a phone SIM in my Pro1, but I mostly use it as a PDA (yeah, I'm an old guy).  I use a cheap Moto slab as my Verizon phone , Android Auto and for all the portrait  bank and commercial apps I need more out in the world when I am in my car than I do at home or anywhere else.  It actually turns out, for me, as a nice functional division.  I know many would not want to do this.

Edited by Hook
2 hours ago, Hook said:

I keep a phone SIM in my Pro1, but I mostly use it as a PDA (yeah, I'm an old guy).  ...I know many would not want to do this.

Right again! I'm not interested in a $700 PDA. I have plenty of other devices that will work, I just wanted a physical keyboard phone that I can use daily instead of a slab.

Sadly, if I can't get the Pro1 working (and things look rather bleak at this point), then I'll be forced to put it up for sale. 

Speaking of which, does anyone here want an essentially brand new Pro1 with a handful of hours, with all the original unused accessories still in the factory box? Not a single dent, scratch, or scrape and even have the original shipping box as was sent to me. If so, drop me a note and we may be able to work something out! :classic_biggrin:

On 7/28/2022 at 7:06 AM, TechLvr said:

Right again! I'm not interested in a $700 PDA. I have plenty of other devices that will work, I just wanted a physical keyboard phone that I can use daily instead of a slab.

Sadly, if I can't get the Pro1 working (and things look rather bleak at this point), then I'll be forced to put it up for sale. 

Speaking of which, does anyone here want an essentially brand new Pro1 with a handful of hours, with all the original unused accessories still in the factory box? Not a single dent, scratch, or scrape and even have the original shipping box as was sent to me. If so, drop me a note and we may be able to work something out! :classic_biggrin:

Sad you can not get things to work with your US carrier.

On sale you might try this thread, usually many eager buyers, though with the Pro1X beginning to be delivered, I guess many will hestiate to see users reactions, to decide if the pro1 or pro1x is best for them.

13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Sad you can not get things to work with your US carrier.

On sale you might try this thread, usually many eager buyers, though with the Pro1X beginning to be delivered, I guess many will hestiate to see users reactions, to decide if the pro1 or pro1x is best for them.

Sad indeed!

Thanks for the sale thread issue, I'm close to posting, just not quite there yet. Still trying various ROMs to see if anything can be done to get Visible working before jumping ship.

Also, not to be a smarta$$ but waiting for actual delivery of the Pro1x might be equivalent to waiting for Christmas 2025, we'll see. :classic_rolleyes: