A totally different approach to keyboard-phones, strictly not on topic for Pro1&Pro1X

Yes I know that as a moderator I should show a good example and not post off topic stuff. But this IS on keyboard phones, so not completely off topic.

A flexible display with physically pop-up buttons

https://www.gsmarena.com/researchers_create_an_oled_panel_with_inflatable_keyboard-news-58402.php

(tldr: go to 3:38 in the youtube video linked)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has real possibilities.  The question is, will this generate enough interest in any big companies that can do the R&D to take it out of prototype.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hook said:

This has real possibilities.  The question is, will this generate enough interest in any big companies that can do the R&D to take it out of prototype.

Indeed. I guess it would need to do more various shapes to have a broader interest. But if it can be done with out creases I think there is a market, as you would get a 'real' keyboard without sacrificing screen estate. Especially for fold-devices it would make a lot of sense to have one half with dual usage... Sort of like the Cosmo.

But obviously a matter of how the feeling of a 'key' is, But with a little development there could be flat plates at the centre of each bubble , So you had a feeling of pressing a more firm surface and not a jelly-feeling.

• Like 2

This something that was demoed back in 2013. I hope that technology will be matured from proto/concept devices to real life soon.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, FlyingAntero said:

Tactus Technology actually showed this kind of implementation few years ago. There were "bubbles" on the touch screen surface. I don't know what happened to that technology since I haven't seen that later.

Imagine that technology with Galaxy Fold. However, I would still pick up Pro1 anytime because of slider.

GPAIvEJvHgOat7IcrMYJ3Qqj-lkoo2zuvc3RZifr

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Thanks 1

Interesting!

I suppose the one major thing that would still need to be confirmed for those approaches is their long-term durability. I wouldn't like it, say, if, at some point, that fluid would drip into my coffee while I'm typing 😉 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Haha 2