Pro1 crashed, no longer starts

Hello,

I have a Pro1 with LineageOS 16.

So far the Pro1 has run without any problems.

Yesterday it shut down during operation and won't start again. There is also no response from the charger.

I have tried the following so far:

- long press on the power button (more than 30sec)

- all combinations of the volume buttons pressed with the power button

- Disconnected the battery, pressed the power button, reconnected the battery, then tried to start again with all key combinations

-battery replaced,

Unfortunately, I no longer have any idea what else could be the problem.

Does anyone have any other tips on what I could try?

Does it make sense to send the device to support?

Thank you. for your help.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, wrc08 said:

Okay, thanks for the hint.

I'll leave it on the charger overnight and see what happens.

Thank you.

Stefan

Somewhere in this forum there was a thread abot flashing softwares, related to @tdm.

Once my friend used his Pro1 for calling, placed it on a table, then the next time he wanted to use it it was off and did not start again.
It was replaced by F(x)tec in warranty, but I have tried a few things before sending it back.

The phone seemed to be completely dead but under Linux, I could see it is in EDL mode.
When I pressed power button for around 10 seconds, it has rebooted, then entered to EDL mode again after a while.
So it was constantly on waiting in EDL mode depleting the battery or slowly charging when conneted to charger.

So using update tool, it has successfully uploaded a loader code to phone RAM which should has to do the actual update process, but it could not reach its internal flash, so the fault of that phone was NAND flash failure after only a few weeks of use.

The updater should be available here but @tdm has sent me a bit modified version which had deeper log and that was what revealed the flash inaccessibility, the original updater simply could not do the update becase of the very same reason.
(I use Linux so only Linux version of the updater I may have.)

It can be anything else but I would check if computer see the phone as any kind of device and if so, what is its PID/VID - also with USB at phone side plugged in rotated in case a partly failing USB connector (like mine)...

Personally I am afraid of NAND flash failure of my phone because that is the part which will sooner or later die and replacement of a BGA IC in a very integrated panel is not easy at all...

As of sending it for repair... I don't think F(x)tec may have a replacement main board for Pro1 but it may worth a try.
However, I don't know if they reply at all.

• Thanks 2
23 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Have you tried to put Pro1 into a charger for several hours even so nothing happens when you connect the cable? Atleast you can try since there is nothing to lose.

Hello FlyingAnterro,

the device has now been connected to a charger for 24 hours. Condition is unchanged. It was worth a try. Thanks.

Stefan

• Like 1
19 hours ago, VaZso said:

Somewhere in this forum there was a thread abot flashing softwares, related to @tdm.

Once my friend used his Pro1 for calling, placed it on a table, then the next time he wanted to use it it was off and did not start again.
It was replaced by F(x)tec in warranty, but I have tried a few things before sending it back.

The phone seemed to be completely dead but under Linux, I could see it is in EDL mode.
When I pressed power button for around 10 seconds, it has rebooted, then entered to EDL mode again after a while.
So it was constantly on waiting in EDL mode depleting the battery or slowly charging when conneted to charger.

So using update tool, it has successfully uploaded a loader code to phone RAM which should has to do the actual update process, but it could not reach its internal flash, so the fault of that phone was NAND flash failure after only a few weeks of use.

The updater should be available here but @tdm has sent me a bit modified version which had deeper log and that was what revealed the flash inaccessibility, the original updater simply could not do the update becase of the very same reason.
(I use Linux so only Linux version of the updater I may have.)

It can be anything else but I would check if computer see the phone as any kind of device and if so, what is its PID/VID - also with USB at phone side plugged in rotated in case a partly failing USB connector (like mine)...

Personally I am afraid of NAND flash failure of my phone because that is the part which will sooner or later die and replacement of a BGA IC in a very integrated panel is not easy at all...

As of sending it for repair... I don't think F(x)tec may have a replacement main board for Pro1 but it may worth a try.
However, I don't know if they reply at all.

Hello VaZso,

Thanks for thinking along and your hints.

I'll try this weekend to see if the Pro1 shows any reaction when connected to the computer. I'll report back then.

I'll write to support tomorrow and ask if they are able to repair the device. Let's see if I get an answer.

Stefan

• Like 1

The biggest problem for me is that I had a microSD card in the Pro1 that is formatted as internal storage.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to my data on the MicroSD card.

Is there any way to make the memory card contents readable and back up the data?

Stefan
On 4/23/2024 at 12:15 PM, wrc08 said:

The biggest problem for me is that I had a microSD card in the Pro1 that is formatted as internal storage.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to my data on the MicroSD card.

Is there any way to make the memory card contents readable and back up the data?

Stefan

Take the card out and put it in a reader?

2 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Take the card out and put it in a reader?

Unfortunately, it does not help if OS handles the card "securely" which practically means data is encrypted and encryption key is inside phone's flash which (currently) is inaccessible for the owner...

So that is the problem@wrc08has with the card.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Unfortunately, it does not help if OS handles the card "securely" which practically means data is encrypted and encryption key is inside phone's flash which (currently) is inaccessible for the owner...

Can it be put into a different phone?

1 minute ago, sequestris said:

Can it be put into a different phone?

Unfortunately it does not help because decryption needs the key which is unique for the device (installation) what does not boot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sequestris said:

Stupid logic 😕

Security and comfort are always in race.

I think users have not requested this as a feature from Google and normally there is no benefit of it.
However, if phone has been stolen, this can be a real benefit...

Otherwise it creates trouble accessing data outside the phone and I don't know if there is a way to extract key from a working system to be used later in case of a decryption will be necessary.
(That is not really important for Google...)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, VaZso said:

VaZso is absolutely right.

That's my problem.

I've already tried an external reader and another phone. Card is not recognized...

Stefan

• Sad 1