Thoughts On Buying More Than One

This thread is probably just a way of distracting myself while waiting for my Pro 1 to ship... ;-)

I've noticed a few people talking about buying more than one Pro 1 and I'm sort of curious about that strategy. Sure, it's probably nice for them to get a few extra sales up front, but I'd rather wait and see if there is going to be a Pro2 (or whatever the next model ends up being called) before getting a second one. Of course, if I see the specs for the Pro 2 and I decide I like the Pro 1 better, then at that point I would quickly buy a second Pro 1 perhaps. For instance, if the Pro 2 went with a 5.2" screen, I would say no thanks ( I'm probably in a minority, I think). And, if I thought signs were pointing to F(x) Tec going away, God forbid, I would also be likely to buy a second. All of this assuming I like the Pro 1, but I really don't have much doubt around that.

Some of it seems to be motivated by the possibility of getting a second before the price goes up. <shrug> I'm retiring in a week and may change my mind once I'm on a fixed income, but I'm not going to get worked up over price fluctuations on an already expensive device. I don't think it's going to shoot up to iPhone prices.

I'm just curious as buying a second now seems to limit ones options. As long as you are getting a second phone, why not wait and see if it can be an upgrade?

For instance, if the Pro 2 went with a 5.2″ screen, I would say no thanks ( I’m probably in a minority, I think).

I think I also like the sound of 6" better, and we may be a majority... Those who are content don't feel a need to speak.

I’m just curious as buying a second now seems to limit ones options. As long as you are getting a second phone, why not wait and see if it can be an upgrade?

Hmm I think many of us operate under the assumption pro1 is for a long time, and really want to have one at hand ALL the time. If one breaks and we have to wait for parts/service or gets lost it's not likely we can just walk into a store and buy backup pro1 same day (although it would be nice if they grew that big). Some here also seem to have since long time a couple of their favorite qwerty phone, so are in the habit of having multiple :D. An additional reason may be to have some playground for alternate OSes.

Personally I will wait until price falls though before getting a second one, if I do (or one appears on ebay or so).

What a lot of us are talking is pre-ordering a second one not buying it.

Since the preorder stays valid and can be used for every coming layout, some people want to keep the preorder price for future phones.

So we just preorder and never pay unless the wished layout comes out. It is a strange system but since it only helps us, there is no reason to complain.

• 2 weeks later...
ive bought mine,, and am planning to buy another… even though it is clear that they will offer spare parts, which kinda tells you there is no p2 coming anytime soon. if, at all.

Hmm, why would one exclude the other?

It is not aPple, but seems like decent people, so they might well expect some of the users to keep the device for many years, even if one or more new models are offered.

ive bought mine,, and am planning to buy another… even though it is clear that they will offer spare parts, which kinda tells you there is no p2 coming anytime soon. if, at all.

Hmm, why would one exclude the other?

It is not aPple, but seems like decent people, so they might well expect some of the users to keep the device for many years, even if one or more new models are offered.

Also, hopefully it's an expanding market, at least internationally. If the Pro 1 does well, there may be a growing number of people who hesitated at buying the Pro 1 who might then decide to buy in on a Pro 2. F(X) will never have the market power of an Apple or Samsung, but there is still room for growth in a vertical market.