Just to be clear, Android is aware of the rounded corners and lets software know about them via "display cutouts". Good developers can work around them or have their apps "shrink" to avoid them.

The option to shrink your display at an OS level is something some versions of Android support, but I don't think the stock Pro1 has such a feature. You may need to install a different OS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, glumreaper said:

Thanks. I'm not bothered about the missing pixels, I just think a rounded rectangle display on a rectangular phone looks weird. I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Well actually it more or less follows the shape of the device that is not entirely rectangular either.
Personally I'm so old-fashioned that I would have preferred it rectangular too though

(I have applied a third party screen protector on top on the below)

IMG_20191121_180541_HDR~01.jpg

• Like 1

I'd never paid attention to curved screens but know many people expressed their opinion against them when it was announced.   Then when first photos/screenshots showed rounded corners on the display I wondered if that is a problem because of the curved screen, seems it is.   Guess just another thing to have to get used to.

On the plus side, I imagine 16:9 video won't show those rounded corners when fullscreen cuz our screen is 2:1.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, abielins said:

You can do something like this to manage your display size and crop out the rounded corners: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/57267/resize-screen-for-dead-touch-zone

adb shell wm overscan 16,20,16,20

Matches the curves AND reduces the risk of accidental edge-touches.

Note that "wallpaper" or "background" might be displayed beyond these boundaries.

BUT not all programs handle it correctly. Various odd issues. e.g. the Danish National Broadcast DR.DK TV-app, gets confused, and adds additional borders when attempting full screen....

Problems like that typically occur if people coding are not consistent in working with the size of the physical or the logical display.

Fiddling with the density also, can fix some, but can make it worse for others...

ADD: Se example of issues here, without and with the overscan, the black border inside the image is a bug:

Screenshot_20191121-204920.png

Screenshot_20191121-204707.png

• Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, abielins said:

Try something like "adb shell wm overscan 0,20,0,20" to get rid of the overscan padding on the left and right (in portrait)

Well to me it is the sides that are interesting. But just tried, and that means it is only messed up in the otherndirection in that particular app...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with this.  Think I've settled on 35,0,15,0.   The 35 prevents bumping touchscreen when using number row and moves special keys etc from some apps up a bit to more reachable position.  The 15 gets the android status bar out of the curve a bit and hopefully helps with being able to hold it w/o touching screen. This isn't enough to get rid of the rounded corners.  This is something to play with, a problem that could have been avoided with flat screen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Craig said:

I've been playing around with this.  Think I've settled on 35,0,15,0.   The 35 prevents bumping touchscreen when using number row and moves special keys etc from some apps up a bit to more reachable position.  The 15 gets the android status bar out of the curve a bit and hopefully helps with being able to hold it w/o touching screen. This isn't enough to get rid of the rounded corners.  This is something to play with, a problem that could have been avoided with flat screen.

It's nice to know that this compensation tweak is available, but I agree, the curved screen is stupid, but it turns out that it was the only thing they could find that would meet the needs of their device at a reasonable price point with sufficient supply available. Apparently flat screens in that size just aren't widely made anymore. I observed elsewhere that a curved screen was pandering to the type of person who wouldn't buy this device anyway, but was informed that the pandering has been so widespread in the industry that it was the only reasonable option anymore. I do hope that the Pro2 will be offered in a Droid 4 form factor; 5" flat screen. For those who like it, the Pro2 can continue to have the 6" version with updated specs available as well. Call them Pro2 and Pro2mini, if you will.

• Like 1