Canadian Click Clack meetup?

15 hours ago, pistikem said:

that would click well with me here in Montréal, no clack !

on that note if anyone here in Mtl gets theirs before me, can I come stare at you use it for a bit? just to take the edge off? I'll stay 3 feet away. I just need to live vicariously through that.

edit: maybe touch it too. softly

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

sure, i don't mind at all, a quick Pro1 réunion in Mtl, in december perhaps ?   

though meanwhile i didn't receive new messages from fxtec, except for the email with Subject: Your F(x)tec order has been received!  that was when they had charged my CC, on the last day of july...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

You can quickly make a temporary one from a "Huawei Pro P20" or "Samsung Note 7" case, see the newer pages of this

Are there any insulated cases out there? It's super annoying when your phone turns off because it's too cold during the winter. I keep some hand warmers around to prevent that on the coldest days, but that's not very sustainable.

8 minutes ago, abielins said:

Are there any insulated cases out there? It's super annoying when your phone turns off because it's too cold during the winter. I keep some hand warmers around to prevent that on the coldest days, but that's not very sustainable.

I think you should go for human-heating, a.k.a. a pocket for the heating. While using you would need to expose large areas of it anyway, so would only be useful while not actively using it. This is not a device you would use exposed actively in say minus 40 degrees. But could of course (like any other smartphone) be used via a headset and some voice controlled stuff while in a pocket.

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I think you should go for human-heating, a.k.a. a pocket for the heating

It's not enough, sadly, when it's below -20C.

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

This is not a device you would use exposed actively in say minus 40 degrees

It seems perfect for that since you can use the hardware keys with gloves on!

40 minutes ago, abielins said:

It's not enough, sadly, when it's below -20C.

It seems perfect for that since you can use the hardware keys with gloves on!

But you would expose very large parts of the device while doing so, both top and bottom side of the upper part, and the top of the lower part...

A flip case could to SOME extent protect it from wind when opened see this, but I think it would be cooled down really quickly, in just slight side wind, simply being two rather thin parts, and thus a high surface to mass ratio.

But at the least the display is not LCD. I would expect LED types to handle frost better - haven't tested it though. Generally Li-Ion batteries really dislikes hard cold. So It MIGHT be worth a try with a powerbank type battery under the arm, in (almost) direct body contact, and then a cable powering the device.