Where did my virtual keyboards go?

Received my Pro1 today, and just trying to get used to it......not having much success though.
The biggest issue I'm having is getting a virtual keyboard to show up on screen. For example- tapping the search bar in Firefox brings up the Google Voice assistant. No matter what I do I can't close the assistant at all, and there's no way of displaying a virtual keyboard. Nothing in Settings either.

Any advice or ideas welcome

TIA😉

4 minutes ago, MickH said:

Received my Pro1 today, and just trying to get used to it......not having much success though.
The biggest issue I'm having is getting a virtual keyboard to show up on screen. For example- tapping the search bar in Firefox brings up the Google Voice assistant. No matter what I do I can't close the assistant at all, and there's no way of displaying a virtual keyboard. Nothing in Settings either.

Any advice or ideas welcome

TIA😉

Please make sure that the "show virtual keyboard option" is off.

Screenshot_20191218-194711.png

• Thanks 5

That doesn't seem right at all, there has to be some software issue. Unless the keyboard is open tapping the search bar in firefox gives me virtual keyboard instantly. Have you verified all the firmware updates are installed? And please do check what erik said :).

• Thanks 1

OK, so I've done erik's checks and Show Virtual Keyboard is off. But Google Voice Typing keeps displaying when I tap the search bar in any app. Tapping the small keyboard icon doesn't seem to change anything but it brings up a Change Keyboard requester telling me Google Voice Typing is active with the option of switching on virtual keyboard. Tapping the close X doesn't close the Google Voice Typing window either.
Sounds like some sort of software issue, because the keyboard was showing before I downloaded an update earlier.

Didn't set that as default, but it seems to be permanently on with no way of turning it off.

I don't have any virtual keyboard showing onscreen at all. But I have found out that others are having the same problem on Android Central with other phones.

I've got rid of the Google Voice Typing assistant by disabling Chrome browser.

4 minutes ago, Hook said:

If you haven't done much with the phone yet, try a factory reset.  But first, did you try restarting the phone after the last update (shouldn't be necessary, but...)

I think a factory reset would be the next step as it looks like there's no virtual keyboards installed, (can't manage keyboards in settings).

Probably what happened, is the first time you use virtual keyboard, it popped up and asks you.  You can then chose one, or make it default choice for next time, depending where you click. 

I have never set a default, so every time I use virtual keyboard it asks me if I want google voice typing or gboard.

But anyways you could have just cleared or reset your default virtual keyboard instead of factory reset...

Edited by Craig
  • Like 4

Everything seems to be OK now @Craig Not sure what happened. It was fine until a couple of updates came down, then all hell let loose. Couldn't reset the keyboard either. 😂

I'm used to using SailfishOS on Sony Xperia as my main phone. If Jolla deliver I'll be re-flashing the Pro1.

• Like 1