On sliding open the Pro1

Some are having issues opening the Pro1.

So just to make sure here a small thread with a few hints. Inspired by this question.

There are (at the least) three ways to open it

1. The easiest, Lift the back
  2. The classic push front down, horizontal and up
  3. Roll in, push the front UP and then horizontal

See videos later in this thread, As I get stuff moved out of the long one....

ADD: To a more discrete opening with two hands I usually push with one thumb and restrain the rear with the index on the other hand.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Hook said:

I want to know where that hidden lever is that allowed her to open the keyboard with just a nudge of her thumb.  🙄  I find it pretty easy to do now,but...

....Here a trimmed and reduced 0.25x slow motion video showing it in more detail. Note how the back lifts as the first, as the initial push is slightly downwards on the front edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
33 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

....Here a trimmed and reduced 0.25x slow motion video showing it in more detail. Note how the back lifts as the first, as the initial push is slightly downwards on the front edge.

I just can't seem to get the thumb press in the  underhanded version you show.  It works easily if I do it ovehanded, meaning I lift the back slightly first and then push with my thumb.  When I use two thumbs, it is exactly like you show, but either my thumb is very weak or I just can't find the right angle with my thumb doing it your way.

No big deal and thanks.  It opens pretty easily for me now.

7 minutes ago, Hook said:

I just can't seem to get the thumb press in the  underhanded version you show.  It works easily if I do it ovehanded, meaning I lift the back slightly first and then push with my thumb.  When I use two thumbs, it is exactly like you show, but either my thumb is very weak or I just can't find the right angle with my thumb doing it your way.

No big deal and thanks.  It opens pretty easily for me now.

The push needed is not harder than to light a match.

It is really hard to explain in words, I usually compare it to explaining how to ride a bike. In theory terrible complex to explain, and with a short but steep learning curve, but once your body gets it, it is as easy as pie, and you can not imaging how it was ever difficult to learn. I remember back in the days of the Nokia N97mini, I had otherwise very handy people having huge troubles figuring it ought. One that was interested in a real keyboard even gave up, and continued with T9 typing of a classic phone keyboard!

The main obstacle is that it is SO contra-intuitive, that we shall NOT push in parallel with the bottom half.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

The push needed is not harder than to light a match.

It is really hard to explain in words, I usually compare it to explaining how to ride a bike. In theory terrible complex to explain, and with a short but steep learning curve, but once your body gets it, it is as easy as pie, and you can not imaging how it was ever difficult to learn. I remember back in the days of the Nokia N97mini, I had otherwise very handy people having huge troubles figuring it ought. One that was interested in a real keyboard even gave up, and continued with T9 typing of a classic phone keyboard!

The main obstacle is that it is SO contra-intuitive, that we shall NOT push in parallel with the bottom half.

By now I have the issue that if I consciously try to open the device it's difficult and confusing but if I don't think about it it basically opens itself for me 😂 . There's definitely a learning curve for some of us.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, netman said:

By now I have the issue that if I consciously try to open the device it's difficult and confusing but if I don't think about it it basically opens itself for me 😂 . There's definitely a learning curve for some of us.

For all of us I would say, Except those of us that used the N97, E7 or the like back in the days, and still got he memory of it in their hands.

It could be worth exercising breaking down the movement. First get it to lift the rear, and release it back. And when that is in place extend it with a small flat push and release, and finally followed by the lift also.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, netman said:

Just experimented and you can actually open it in slightly different way starting by LIFTING the front edge (rather than pushing it down), and then pushing horizontal! Sort of like an upside down L. That is not quite as contra intuitive AND is easier to use with a case attached. You could say that you attempt to squeeze in a finger between the two halves. You can do that by 'rolling' in your thumb! I will try to make a video of that too...

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn unlocked and unlocked this topic
On 12/23/2019 at 7:15 PM, EskeRahn said:

Just experimented and you can actually open it in slightly different way starting by LIFTING the front edge (rather than pushing it down), and then pushing horizontal! Sort of like an upside down L. That is not quite as contra intuitive AND is easier to use with a case attached. You could say that you attempt to squeeze in a finger between the two halves. You can do that by 'rolling' in your thumb! I will try to make a video of that too...

Here a video trimmed&reduced below the limits

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I imagined you would do both - press (slightly) down with your thumb and hold the back (which lifts it) to prevent the loud "clack" which would draw unneeded attention.
Is that not a realistic usecase?

By the way thanks a lot (I have read your posts regarding this topic before, but this is still very helpful).

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

I imagined you would do both - press (slightly) down with your thumb and hold the back (which lifts it) to prevent the loud "clack" which would draw unneeded attention.
Is that not a realistic usecase?

By the way thanks a lot (I have read your posts regarding this topic before, but this is still very helpful).

Yes indeed, important detail, thanks. I actually usually do that. Just updated the primary post here on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1