Peter's "pro" tips for Pro1

13 minutes ago, 3zet said:

That's sad

What is? Actually I find Android pretty awesome in respect to key mapping cause it allows us to customise it the way we want without having to wait for FxTec to integrate changes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 3zet said:

The situation when application in 2020 is less functional than its 2006 equivalent. 

The more functionality they would add, the longer we would have to wait. But sure I too hope that more functionality is coming in later OTA updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, 3zet said:

That's sad, I remember for Symbian was app called MagicKey which was allowing change key mapping for different applications, so there was no need to change layouts manually. 

6 hours ago, 3zet said:

The situation when application in 2020 is less functional than its 2006 equivalent. 

I'm a Symbian fan, having worked for them in London in 2002, but calling any Symbian phone more functional than Pro1 is a bit of an overstatement 😁🤣 just a bit.

• Like 1

Attached is a modified version of FinQwerty adding two new US international layouts for Qwerty keyboards.
They are prefixed "Alpha Slion" so that they show on top of that long list of layouts.

They are more WYSIWYG than the original layouts from FinQwerty cause they use the Fn key to actually output keys yellow prints instead of the Alt key.
Sym key is left as Sym modifier.
Alt+Left: back
Alt+Right: forward
Alt+Down: Power (lock or wakeup)
Alt+Up: F6 (which turns the keyboard backlight on somehow)
Alt+ 1 to = : F1 to F12

The original FinQwerty US international QWERTY layouts were also modified to add Alt+Left and Alt+Right for Back and Forward.

finqwerty-debug.apk

New version same as above plus:

Alt + Space: brings up android character picker dialog which is rather useless as it is
Fn + Space: launch default browser
Shift + Space: launch search application
Fn + Tab: Opens up app switcher
Sym: Launches google assistant

It looks like for whatever reason the sym modifier is really not working as a normal modifier.
Same with meta_left which is now mapped to Sym but in fact just launches google assistant, go figure.

finqwerty-debug.apk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, peter.s.fidelman said:

To force Portrait when keyboard is stored and Landscape when keyboard is deployed

In "Slider Settings" make sure that "Landscape Orientation Lock" is on.

Install "Lock Screen Rotation": <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ale32thebest.lockscreenrotation> and select "Landscape Mode".

Contrary to what you may expect, this works!  Apps are now forcibly confined to portrait/landscape mode depending on keyboard state.  I have never seen an app that can escape this restriction, but note that apps that really wanted to be laid out the "other" way may not work well.

I tried this under lineage, which handles it a little differently already.  With landscape lock, it does indeed force apps landscape that wouldnt do it before (games, hangouts).

However, I have to stop service or set it to force portrait to get portrait, even with keyboard closed.  I imagine this is how its supoosed to work, but something funky in stock lets it go both ways.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

As a sort of tip: I set "Smallest width" to 550 dp in Developer Options and everything looks stunning, if you want your apps to display more info.

Also, I have a DELL 1080p monitor with USB-c and USB 3 ports and the phone works great with it, with just one cable you get:

• Video out
  • Charging
  • Any device plugged into monitor's USB ports is seen by the phone

Also, with the 550 dp smallest width, apps look way better on the monitor. I tried various desktop layout apps but they are all pretty buggy. This seems like the cleanest compromise.

Screenshot_20201031-110449.png

Screenshot_20201031-110751.png

Screenshot_20201031-190637.png

Screenshot_20201031-110423.png

Edited by Rud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1