Resizing split screen?

Erhmm.... Have you tried pulling the split-divider?

A Sorry, just tried, only seem to work in portrait - how odd

ADD: And it acts rather oddly if you press the home while in split, without dropping the split first. This CAN give us an asymmetric split in Landscape.....

On my Pro 1 with Launch Time (if that makes any difference) in landscape, when I have two split screen panels the square button changes to 2 parallel rectangles (or an equals sign on end).  If I hit that key, it leaves the first split app but cycles through whatever apps I have previously used as the second slit app.  If I hit home wit two split apps, the first app on the left withdraws allowing me to manually sort through the recents cards and pick which app I want to bring up on the right.  When I tap that card, the app on the left returns.

I do think two apps 50-50 is the Android 9 default.  I know in the past, Samsung has had a lot more flexibility in windowing (having it long before stock Android had it).

31 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

A Sorry, just tried, only seem to work in portrait - how odd

This works in portrait for you?! I had no luck with it. I've searched high and low and what I found is that for whatever stupid reason Android only allows resizing the split screen in portrait mode but even that didn't work for me. I hope someone finds a workaround though.

2 minutes ago, netman said:

This works in portrait for you?! I

Yes. Never used for anything than testing though, so could be app dependent. Took two stock apps Chrome and Android Market, and they can be adjusted just fine in portrait. Obviously it is also easier to change in portrait, as many programs got scrolling anyway. Changing in landscape would require much more of the UI design.

• Like 1

In stock android you can resize the two screens in portrait mode, in landscape mode this is -sadly- not possible.

Force activities to resize doesn't change that for me and I could imagine that it affects the behaviour of widgets.

If anyone knows an app that allows resizing in split screen or even two or three popups, I'd be very interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes. Never used for anything than testing though, so could be app dependent. Took two stock apps Chrome and Android Market, and they can be adjusted just fine in portrait. Obviously it is also easier to change in portrait, as many programs got scrolling anyway. Changing in landscape would require much more of the UI design.

I can't get apps to resize in portrait either. I can drag the slider, but when I release it snaps back to the middle.

18 minutes ago, John Veness said:

I can't get apps to resize in portrait either. I can drag the slider, but when I release it snaps back to the middle.

Odd. Could it but app dependent? I have no idea if an app can set signal something to the OS on minimum requirements? What Apps did you try?  Even "Settings" and the "Snapdragon Camera" apps works here.

ADD: The minimum size is about 30% though.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, John Veness said:

...See the below examples, The Snapdragon camera can get a little confused on the icons though (see the last two). (Pressing power to take a screenshot often takes the focus away, hence the black images)

Screenshot_20200209-134747.png

Screenshot_20200209-134759.png

Screenshot_20200209-133517.png

Screenshot_20200209-133933.png

Screenshot_20200209-133944.png

Screenshot_20200209-134016.png

I've done some research and this problem seems to occur rarely but I haven't found any fixes. Some users report that the problem appeared after months of using the feature.

It may sound stupid, but have you tried turning it off and on again?

If that doesn't help, you could delete cache and dalvik cache and if that doesn't help either, you could restore factory settings, but this should be the last step.

Edit: With Android 10 resizing is also possible in landscape, so don't lose all your hopes.

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Thanks 2

Aha, resizing in portrait only seems to work if display size is set to small in Android Settings. It doesn't work if set to default.

Annoying that it only allows three split ratios (roughly 30:70, 50:50, 70:30), rather than allowing a free choice.

Edited by John Veness
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, John Veness said:

Aha, resizing in portrait only seems to work in display size is set to small in Android Settings. It doesn't work if set to default.

Annoying that it only allows three split ratios (roughly 30:70, 50:50, 70:30), rather than allowing a free choice.

Ah Thanks! That explains the difference!

And yes silly limit, could have been a range. Let us hop they fixed that in 10 also.
Setting the font to small also, does not seem to offer more options.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John Veness said:

Thanks for making me aware of this! That's why I thought it simply didn't work at all for me, nobody said it no matter how furiously I googled, only that it's supposed to work in portrait mode only. I only ever tried resizing a little bit, not expecting Android to be quite as crappy as it is 😂

• Like 1