Get A Grip...

Sorry,  couldn't resist the thread title. 😉

I posted this in the protective cases thread, but this isn't really about directly protecting the Pro1 but increasing the grip on the back of the Pro 1 which is quite slippery.  I don't like putting cases on my phones (a bumper might be nice), but even if you are using a pouch or a case, if you ever use the phone outside the case, this could be relevant.  I love how the naked Pro 1 feels in my hands, but I worried about the slickness of the back, especially when drawing it out of my pocket.

A number of folks have used different non-case solutions and I hope they post here too.  Here is my solution:

This is a matte black DBrand skin intended for a Note 10.  I tried a Huawei P20 Pro skin but it seemed to have the bezel to camera hole proportion not quite right for the Pro 1. The Note 10 Skin was too wide, but the camera to bezel proportion was perfect,  the camera window fit fine,including the flash, and the microphone hole was *almost* right (minor Exacto surgery involved).  I trimmed the width (portrait) and that's about it.  My production skills with trimming are not the best, even with an Exacto and metal straight edge lol, but the matte black color hides most of my flaws.  It definitely gives the phone more grip while leaving the nice feel of the phone in your hand.  I wasn't brave enough to try a cutout for the F(x) Tec logo.  😉

Pro1skin.thumb.jpg.61ee0e232056629191842f2a8a91ecd0.jpg

I've had it on for a week now and no problem with the skin not holding tight or catching.  It feels so comfortable in the hand and I no longer have any concerns about my grip on the phone.  It has just enough texture without any sense of added bulk. 

By the way, I purposely cut the width so tat it didn't wrap around the edges.  I did that so I wouldn't have to didle with cuts for button placement.  Also, going around the edges has little benefit to my purpose of giving more grip to the backside.  And finally, DBrand shows using a hairdryer to heat the wrap around edges and I didn't want to do that.  😄 The skin grips perfectly without heat on a flat surface.

There might be cheaper skins out there.  There are also more imaginative designs, even in the DBrad offerings.  I liked the subtlty of the matte black.  I want people to see a Pro 1, not a phone with a fancy tattoo.

What do you have?

I love this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I used a product called Dragon Grips.  I bought a collection of stickers https://www.amazon.com/tablets-computer-sticker-nonskid-rectangles/dp/B07DD532WM and played tetris, but I think it could be done better by cutting a 5x7" sheet (which they also sell).  I would have wrapped it around the corners more if I had thought about it when applying it, as that might have added a tiny bit of protection; I mainly did it for grip, but it does stick just fine around curved edges.  I forgot not to cover the mic hole the first time so fixed that after the fact, would have done it better if I'd thought of that.  Feels real good.  

IMG_20200223_214208863.thumb.jpg.2ad5bef21c94393e9301d97eefb92690.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Craig said:

I used a product called Dragon Grips.  I bought a collection of stickers https://www.amazon.com/tablets-computer-sticker-nonskid-rectangles/dp/B07DD532WM and played tetris, but I think it could be done better by cutting a 5x7" sheet (which they also sell).  I would have wrapped it around the corners more if I had thought about it when applying it, as that might have added a tiny bit of protection; I mainly did it for grip, but it does stick just fine around curved edges.  I forgot not to cover the mic hole the first time so fixed that after the fact, would have done it better if I'd thought of that.  Feels real good.  

IMG_20200223_214208863.thumb.jpg.2ad5bef21c94393e9301d97eefb92690.jpg

Too bad it's not available in Germany... no idea which one to pick over here since the backside of the phone is really slippery...

2 hours ago, DieBruine said:

This is why I purchased a case/bumper. Also, https://www.bestskinsever.com/ works like a charm. Still contemplating on wrapping the entire phone in BSE. I've used it on a lot of phones, including Droid 4. Very happy with it!

I have bought a foil from https://www.bestskinsever.com/ and cut it, then applied to the back of my Pro1 just before I started to use the phone.

I think it is a very good and strong material - it was not really easy to even cut a small hole near noise microphone using a sharp pliers when I found it during the apply of the foil. First I have almost cut it in the wrong place but it can not be seen. So I want to say it is stronger than I thought it first.

Unfortunately, they are not selling pre-cut foils for Pro1 but I am thinking to cut my own also for display.
However, I am afraid how perfectly I can cut it near speaker (earpiece).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Hook said:

I posted this in the protective cases thread, but this isn't really about directly protecting the Pro1 but increasing the grip on the back of the Pro 1 which is quite slippery.  I don't like putting cases on my phones (a bumper might be nice), but even if you are using a pouch or a case, if you ever use the phone outside the case, this could be relevant.  I love how the naked Pro 1 feels in my hands, but I worried about the slickness of the back, especially when drawing it out of my pocket.

A number of folks have used different non-case solutions and I hope they post here too.  Here is my solution:

This is a matte black DBrand skin intended for a Note 10.  I tried a Huawei P20 Pro skin but it seemed to have the bezel to camera hole proportion not quite right for the Pro 1. The Note 10 Skin was too wide, but the camera to bezel proportion was perfect,  the camera window fit fine,including the flash, and the microphone hole was *almost* right (minor Exacto surgery involved).  I trimmed the width (portrait) and that's about it.  My production skills with trimming are not the best, even with an Exacto and metal straight edge lol, but the matte black color hides most of my flaws.  It definitely gives the phone more grip while leaving the nice feel of the phone in your hand.  I wasn't brave enough to try a cutout for the F(x) Tec logo.  😉

I've had it on for a week now and no problem with the skin not holding tight or catching.  It feels so comfortable in the hand and I no longer have any concerns about my grip on the phone.  It has just enough texture without any sense of added bulk. 

By the way, I purposely cut the width so tat it didn't wrap around the edges.  I did that so I wouldn't have to didle with cuts for button placement.  Also, going around the edges has little benefit to my purpose of giving more grip to the backside.  And finally, DBrand shows using a hairdryer to heat the wrap around edges and I didn't want to do that.  😄 The skin grips perfectly without heat on a flat surface.

There might be cheaper skins out there.  There are also more imaginative designs, even in the DBrad offerings.  I liked the subtlty of the matte black.  I want people to see a Pro 1, not a phone with a fancy tattoo.

What do you have?

I love this. 

Thanks for sharing. How does it slide into/out of the stock pouch? Isn't the grip making the sliding too hard?
I'm considering something similar but kinda expect too much friction in combination with F pouch.

• Like 1

Like I said, I have been using BSE for years. I cut most myself. For outer edges I suggest scissors. The stock protector can be used as a template. Smaller holes and other openings can be punctured. Straight lines ask for a hobby knife. For rounded edges I suggest puncturing since the material is pretty tough.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, cube48 said:

Thanks for sharing. How does it slide into/out of the stock pouch? Isn't the grip making the sliding too hard?
I'm considering something similar but kinda expect too much friction in combination with F pouch.

I tried the stock pouch when I got it, but I don't like pouches and never used it.  I tried it just now.  As far as I can tell, the skin makes no difference.  It was just as hard to slide the phone in and out before.  Really.  I'm pretty sure it makes no difference.  The skin provides texture, not resistance. I don't know how to explain that so it makes sense.  Like how much easier it is to type on a keyboard where keys give you feedback than when they don't, even if it's the same keyboard.

• 6 months later...
On 2/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, Hook said:

What do you have?

I love this. 

Good tip, thanks. I used the small part that you have to cut (Note 10 too wide) to stick on the sides of the keyboard. Reduces the likelihood of letting the unit fall when clacking open.

• Like 2