LineageOS: How do I turn off long key press brings up accented characters menu?

It pops up for me sometimes too, when I'm sure didn't longpress.   If it didn't pop up when I didn't intend for it, it wouldn't be an issue for me.....    perhaps that's what's happening for you too?

But we don't have settings for hardware keyboard (yet?) in lineage.  I want to disable the auto-caps thats in aosp keyboard, but we don't have the settings for it.  Those settings were present in lineage for photon q....      So if auto-caps is really driving me crazy I use swiftkey as it has some hardware keyboard settings in its virtual keyboard settings menu that allow me to turn that off.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

It pops up for me sometimes too, when I'm sure didn't longpress.   If it didn't pop up when I didn't intend for it, it wouldn't be an issue for me.....    perhaps that's what's happening for you too?

But we don't have settings for hardware keyboard (yet?) in lineage.  I want to disable the auto-caps thats in aosp keyboard, but we don't have the settings for it.  Those settings were present in lineage for photon q....      So if auto-caps is really driving me crazy I use swiftkey as it has some hardware keyboard settings in its virtual keyboard settings menu that allow me to turn that off.

Glad to know i'm not the only one who is experiencing this. It drives me NUTS! 

At the very least, pressing the special yellow arrow or fxtec logo with the key in question should pop that up. 

I believe autocaps is set by the software keyboard. Can you try gboard and see if it stops autocorrecting? 

Also interested in this. I think I mostly get it when I try to use my browser and keep way too many tabs open, so maybe it lags a little bit and registers a hold when I released? 

Also I don't know how to disable the automatic spell correct, I'll type something and it'll change it to something else. I thought I disabled all that stuff but clearly not.

So for @Zamasu and @Craig, I recently wiped my phone back to stock, learned I that the latest release isn't play certified/rootable, and went back to Lineage.

The accented character long press isn't as prevelant at this time, however I wonder if extended use of Android causes the system to get a bit choppy. Anywho, I have disabled "fast polling" in the keyboard settings. 

Going to open a request on github to change the long press to using the right pointed arrow for accented characters. 

https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues/52

I reported the bug about it popping up when it shouldn't.   Couple other folks complaining about this on discord too, and I agree its annoying.

Disabling it is more of a feature request, but feel free to add it as another issue if desired.   For me, if it stops popping up when it shouldn't, I'm happy cuz I do occasionally use it - so I can type Pro¹!

Edited by Craig
3 hours ago, Craig said:

https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues/52

I reported the bug about it popping up when it shouldn't.   Couple other folks complaining about this on discord too, and I agree its annoying.

Disabling it is more of a feature request, but feel free to add it as another issue if desired.   For me, if it stops popping up when it shouldn't, I'm happy cuz I do occasionally use it - so I can type Pro¹!

So a gent on the github tracker pinged me and gave a suggestion to try a differenet keyboard layout.

Sure enough, I switched it to the FinQwerty FxTec Pro1 US for physical US qwerty layout, the behavior has been fixed. 

Now, instead of long presses, I can hold down the "sym" key and get accented characters similar to how the option key works accenting characters on OSX.

I expect this to break in an update since it the layouts don't operate as expected. I also don't get the repeating key issue anymore.

YMMV, but worth a shot to see if it works. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I spoke too soon. You need to use SwiftKey in combination with the physical keyboard setting. 

And for some reason, it will forget and the long press accented character window will pop up again. 

Very annoying, not sure what's causing that.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Hook said:

I still haven't seen this phenomenon. Of course, I'm new to Lineage, so maybe I will sometime.

Press the U key once and then hold the U key. A window will pop up. 

For some reason on fresh flashes it doesn't happen. After a while you'll notice it. 

8 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

Press the U key once and then hold the U key. A window will pop up. 

For some reason on fresh flashes it doesn't happen. After a while you'll notice it. 

I don't need to press U once.  Holding any letter key that has accented alternatives will pop up the window.  I'm just saying tht, so far, it hasn't triggered accidentally if I only tap the key.  As you say, it may be a fresh flash still and I will start seeing what you are eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

I replied to the issue on github. The timing issue is probably not fixable. But I can look into an option to disable the popup. Or, more specifically, treat the keyboard as full instead of alpha.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, tdm said:

I replied to the issue on github. The timing issue is probably not fixable. But I can look into an option to disable the popup. Or, more specifically, treat the keyboard as full instead of alpha.

I see both pros and cons on both Full and Alpha, so if reasonably simple it would be nice to give the user the option to choose what each of us prefer.

• Like 1