Jump to content

What's The Current State of Updates?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TeZtdevice said:

I have the original Rom to flash, like..

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img 
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img 

...and so on.

Send me a pm, if you need it.

Thanks, 
Yes, I also have 20200825 image (ext4_QX1000_user_20200825231445_dd49dd0dd1.7z), but it needs manual flash (and risk for losing user data).

So, I need OTA-style 20200825 update package that can be attached via SD card while keeping user data.

 

Best Regards;

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Could anyone running the latest Stock look up what its "vendor security patch level" is?

I am wondering why my self-built LineageOS (with Android patches from May 2021) indicates a vendor security patch level of "5 April 2020", although I extracted the vendor blobs from a much more recent (Lineage) release.

Of course, if even Stock was stuck at that date, this would explain things ... thanks in advance!

Edited by claude0001
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Could anyone running the latest Stock look up what its "vendor security patch level" is?

I am wondering why my self-built LineageOS (with Android patches from May 2021) indicates a vendor security patch level of "5 April 2020", although I extracted the vendor blobs from a much more recent (Lineage) release.

Of course, if even Stock was stuck at that date, this would explain things ... thanks in advance!

I don't have stock, but, yes, that is the last vendor security update and is that on the Lineage official weeklies as well.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Hook said:

I don't have stock, but, yes, that is the last vendor security update and is that on the Lineage official weeklies as well.

OK, thanks. I was unsure because, according to this thread, Stock received further updates at least until August last year ...

So I get none of these actually included any fixes to the vendor bits. We'll probably have to accept that, I guess ... 😞

Sorry if I am asking obvious things. I was never on Stock, either, so I'm a little disconnected from its development.

Edited by claude0001
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

OK, thanks. I was unsure because, according to this thread, Stock received further updates at least until August last year ...

So I get none of these actually included any fixes to the vendor bits. We'll probably have to accept that, I guess ... 😞

Sorry if I am asking obvious things. I was never on Stock, either, so I'm a little disconnected from its development.

I believe you are mistaking when FxTec released an update for the date of their latest updates.  I believe the update released in August 2020 was the one with the April 2020 security patch. But then, I haven't been on stock for a long time either.  😄

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hook said:

I believe the update released in August 2020 was the one with the April 2020 security patch

It is, and there have been none since (to my knowledge).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, suicidal_orange said:

A year lag in security updates is very concerning, are these the bits we are trying to get mainline support for so we don't have to rely on companies?

Just to let you know, switching to Lineage will  move you to Android 11 with current updates. That isn't to excuse the lack of updates in stock, just a useful alternative if it is practical for you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hook said:

Just to let you know, switching to Lineage will  move you to Android 11 with current updates.

Well, not quite (as we discussed above).

With Lineage you get the Android framework fixes from the AOSP security bulletins, but no patches to the Linux kernel or the binary driver blobs, as these are supposed to be implemented and distributed by the SoC manufacturer. That's what LineageOS calls the "vendor security patch level". As you confirmed yourself, that one is stuck at 04/2020 in LineageOS, too. It must be, as the binary bits are taken directly from Stock.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, suicidal_orange said:

are these the bits we are trying to get mainline support for so we don't have to rely on companies?

In principle, yes.

Note, however, that some hardware components are likely to never be supported by open-source drivers within the realistic lifetime of the Pro1.

For orientation: The Nokia N900, a relatively popular hacker's phone from 2009 (!), still has only 80-90% of its hardware supported by the mainline Kernel (personal estimate). And that's despite the fact that it originally shipped with an OS that was quite "open" compared to today's Android ... 

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms