Audio jack: CTIA or OMTP pinout?

Dear fellow physical keyboard fans,

I have a somewhat noob question, but couldn't find an existing answer to it - so, sorry if it's a duplicate question. Does anybody know if the pinout of the 3,5mm audio jack is CTIA (i.e. Left, Right, Ground, Mic) or OMTP (i.e. Left, Right, Mic, Ground)? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Max Gräf

• Like 1
3 hours ago, max-graef said:

I have a somewhat noob question, but couldn't find an existing answer to it - so, sorry if it's a duplicate question. Does anybody know if the pinout of the 3,5mm audio jack is CTIA (i.e. Left, Right, Ground, Mic) or OMTP (i.e. Left, Right, Mic, Ground)? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hmm, does it have a Mic input at that jack?
I don't know the answer but I thought it doesn't.

Edited by VaZso

@VaZso: Thank you for your answer! Seems it must have a Mic input as the specs on f(x)tec's hompage say "Audio connectivity: 3.5mm TRRS headphone Jack". And (I'm just reminding, mainly for myself cause I'm German and want to make sure I don't mix up English terms for this things, so don't take offense if this info seems stupdily basic) TRRS meens 4 pins; 3 pins (i.e. stereo without Mic) is abbreviated TRS.

Anyyway: @Waxberry, could you kindly answer my original question about the pinout? Don't worry about me tinkering with the plug or something - the cause for my question is just that I want to use a headset for the first time (up to now, I've always used a simple headphone because I didn't need a mic) and want to avoid causing problems by using a headset with the wrong pinout. Thanks in advance!

CTIA (Also known as AHJ).

I do not know if any new phones/phablet still uses the once very common OMTP? I remember that Nokia and SonyEricsson was using OMTP a decade ago, but it is rare to find new devices using it, except those that keeps backwards compatability with earlier products in a line like playstations.

See e.g. https://help.longtailproducts.com/hc/en-us/articles/207970396

The CTIA headphone plug is one of the few standards aPple followed (well almost...) with their Iphones, and after a mess with converters as aPple grew, most have changed away fra OMTP since.

It is not that one is really substantially better than the other, but great that we have a de facto standard. (...or should i say "had" and not "have" as aPple lead the current silly trend of omitting the jack)

Add: The OMTP is slightly smarter though, as this makes it easier to have any metal housings have the hole going close to the connector as it will be touching ground and not the mic signal when plugged in. And in a similar way a plug where the base is not plastic is simpler with OMTP

3.5mm-varations_CTIA-version__89816.1551

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, max-graef said:

Thank you all very much for your answers! Please excuse the late response, I didn't have time to look in the forum for the last few days.

As the question is now solved, @Eske Rahn or  another moderator could close this thread.

I have just tested my Pro1 using a cable which I have bought for a Dell Latitude E6530 and it worked well, microphone and the whole headset has worked perfectly well.

I don't have a jack connector around now, so I could not check the exact pinout correctly, but measuring without a jack connector plugged in, I still think it has CTIA standard.

...but I am 100% sure it uses the very same pinout as E6530. 🙂

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I thought it may be useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1