Notification light

Hi, could someone give some pictures about the notification light? Is it visible from different angles and even several meters away? Can you see it in the dark clearly even from far away?

In my current phone, the led is so tiny you cant see it from other angles or even in the dark, you must be directly near it.

and on the other hand, the LED in Galaxy S3 is so bright and big :), lights up the whole room.

• Like 1

I have tried to take some images, but none are good.... in showing neither Pros nor cons.
The light is made from individual R+G+B LEDs, with no diffuser. Clean R, G, B colours work just fine and bright, and that is the ones used in stock.

If you try to use base colour combinations to get more colours, these will not keep the combined colour when viewed from a shallow angle shadowing one of the base colour-LEDs

If/when I need to take a Pro1(X) apart, I will try to add some kind of diffuser above the LEDs.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have tried to take some images, but none are good.... in showing neither Pros nor cons.
The light is made from individual R+G+B LEDs, with no diffuser. Clean R, G, B colours work just fine and bright, and that is the ones used in stock.

If you try to use base colour combinations to get more colours, these will not keep the combined colour when viewed from a shallow angle shadowing one of the base colour-LEDs

If/when I need to take a Pro1(X) apart, I will try to add some kind of diffuser above the LEDs.

Yeah this is my biggest dislike with it having to look head on to see which notification I am actually receiving.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Not sure that would be doable. It looks like the LED is part of the display panel right?

54 minutes ago, Slion said:

Not sure that would be doable. It looks like the LED is part of the display panel right?

Not quite. If you buy the screen assembly I assume it is, but the BOE spare screens we can get from AliExpress just got a hole, so the actual LED is behind the display with the speaker and the narcissistic camera,

ADD: Roughly here on the long PCB next to the camera
image.thumb.png.6963e335a739a634e924a8897d04a24f.png

(Crop from the picture 73 of the disassembly manual)

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Claimmore said:

Any pictures of the light itself?

It is generally very hard to take good images of light. Taking images of light shinning on something is much easier, but that is not really relevant for what you are asking.
I guess it ought to be possible to make a set-up with the light shinning through a suitable small thin piece of paper, I have tried that too - but not with a usable result either,

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Galaxy S3 notification light was brill 😄

Yeah it was... I've never seen another phone with such a big and bright led... It really lit the whole room. I used to turn the phone upside down so it wouldnt light the whole room and one could sleep normally.

• Haha 1