Forgotten Market, The Compact Phone

52 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Interesting... I have ordered my Moto G6 in late July of 2018 but it has received Android 9 update later, also Europe here

That's interesting indeed... Perhaps it were just some countries where the update didn't arrive? 

That said, I cannot really be sure where my G6 really comes from, as I bought it second-hand... 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been looking for a phone for some time now, but it seems that the phone market is not geared towards people with my preferences. Clearly i am not the only one since the Fx pro1 was created. It

Got my Titan Pocket today! I will try it as my main phone for a while and see how I like it, I really lile that it is smaller than the pro1 and I actually prefer that style of keyboard (can reach enti

There were 12 super early birds sold when I got my perk. But the system hung during payment.. I ended up deleting my account 🖕. Two hours later my Pro1 was delivered. I shit you not.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

That's interesting indeed... Perhaps it were just some countries where the update didn't arrive? 

That said, I cannot really be sure where my G6 really comes from, as I bought it second-hand... 

I have heard a service provider may have its custom ROM and usually they release an update even later than the manufacturer or may even not release it.

I think my G6 has stock firmware and not related to Telekom but it may happen the reason is somewhere around manufacturer or a custom (service provider) firmware.

It was strange for me to see some of the phones available at Telekom were not even locked to them (as it used to be), however, it would has been really strange for a 2 SIM-capable phone - but maybe that is also the reason I could not find any Telekom-related parts in its firmware.

8 minutes ago, VaZso said:

It was strange for me to see some of the phones available at Telekom were not even locked to them (as it used to be), however, it would has been really strange for a 2 SIM-capable phone - but maybe that is also the reason I could not find any Telekom-related parts in its firmware

Here in Germany I don't think I ever had a phone with a SIM lock, but I may have just been lucky. My G6 doesn't show any traces of having come from any of the mobile providers, either... 

Just now, Rob. S. said:

Here in Germany I don't think I ever had a phone with a SIM lock, but I may have just been lucky. My G6 doesn't show any traces of having come from any of the mobile providers, either... 

Interesting. It's IMEI may tell the country if it may come from a farther place. 🙂

Here, in Hungary, initially all of the phones sold by service providers were cheaper than in a regular shop but locked (old Nokia, Sagem, Ericsson, etc. dumb phones). It took a while but later they had similar prices but locked (so not worth buying them) and finally they seems to forgot this thing.

The only locked phone I had was a Nokia 3310 anyway and they have also "recently" (few years ago) started to reveal unlocking codes for phones which did not have contract anymore, but it may was an EU regulation...

Anyway, I don't believe they may release a new firmware in Hungary but not in Germany, it should has another reason I think.

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Interesting. It's IMEI may tell the country if it may come from a farther place. 🙂

Of course, thanks for the hint! The "Reporting Body Identifier" is 35, meaning it's from the UK...

45 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Of course, thanks for the hint! The "Reporting Body Identifier" is 35, meaning it's from the UK...

That is also the same for me anyway (35) which should be Comreg / Ireland.
Anyway, Pro1 is 99 which is GHA / For multi RAT 3GPP2/3GPP

So we are not closer to the reason...

Anyway, my phone for software variant / software channel (they may have other names) displays "dteu".

Also, it's software version is PPSS29.55-37-7-10 from 2020. April 1. (perfect date 🙂)

Edited by VaZso
2 hours ago, VaZso said:

That is also the same for me anyway (35) which should be Comreg / Ireland.
Anyway, Pro1 is 99 which is GHA / For multi RAT 3GPP2/3GPP

So we are not closer to the reason...

Anyway, my phone for software variant / software channel (they may have other names) displays "dteu".

Also, it's software version is PPSS29.55-37-7-10 from 2020. April 1. (perfect date 🙂)

Hmm...

My software channel is "reteu" which I think means "retail EU", like in all my previous Motorolas... And "dteu" then probably means "Deutsche Telekom EU"...

1 minute ago, Rob. S. said:

My software channel is "reteu" which I think means "retail EU", like in all my previous Motorolas... And "dteu" then probably means "Deutsche Telekom EU"...

It may happen as it was sold by Telekom Hungary which belongs to Deutche Telekom, so it is possible this software upgrade may be related to Telekom, however, I find it strange that retail units did not get it...