How to customize the keyboard layout on LineageOS 18.1?

1 minute ago, TeZtdevice said:

No 😕 I just tried out the FinQwerty, but just to test if it solve the problem.
But, perhaps you could send the me a clean version of the keyboard map files?

Was FinQwerty installed when you upgraded to the 20210614 build? If you haven't added any files (e.g. an extra .kcm file in /data/system/devices/keychars/), then deleting FinQwerty ought to restore your device to the 'vanilla' state I used for testing.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tdm added a feature to his keyboard driver that allows the user to specify a custom keyboard map. Unfortunately there is no documentation (other than the source code), but you should be able to remap

I have made a lot of keyboard-related changes on the code, now I will try to summarize them. Also, I have tried to reach a state what probably all of us may find useful and also original working

Yes, this is a 2-in-1 problem. The first one is the different keymap of shifted (QWERTY) and normal (QWERTZ) variants of keyboards we have. It is a bit strange that F(x)tec itself has generated

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sean McCreary said:

Was FinQwerty installed when you upgraded to the 20210614 build? If you haven't added any files (e.g. an extra .kcm file in /data/system/devices/keychars/), then deleting FinQwerty ought to restore your device to the 'vanilla' state I used for testing.

I never installed FinQwerty before.
I have these issue since the first day of my vanilla LOS state.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:40 PM, TeZtdevice said:

Thx EskeRahn 🙂

I read the info about the factory reset. I didn`t do a upgrade from 16 or 17 to 18.1., Just a clean install over Android. That`s why I won`t think a factory reset would help?! 🙂

After the installation I select the german layout for my hardware kb, but only the Z and Y are correct.

Could you provide a bit more information to help us develop a test case? I see you have a QWERTZ Pro1, but which languages do you want to use CTRL-space to switch among? Also, which specific keys do not produce the characters you want?

If none of them are correct except 'Z' and 'Y', then I suspect you have the wrong physical layout. To check this in the settings app on LineageOS 18.1, look at System -> Languages & input -> Physical keyboard -> Advanced settings -> Physical layout. You should be able to switch between the QWERTY and QWERTZ variants there.

Edit: To be very explicit, choosing QWERTZ as the physical layout only corrects for the leftward shift in the key labels between the two hardware variants. Until you also select 'German' for the keyboard layout in Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Physical keyboard -> Builtin Keyboard, your keystrokes will still generate 'QWERTY' key map characters. I realize this is very confusing 😞

Edited by Sean McCreary
Add clarification
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

Could you provide a bit more information to help us develop a test case? I see you have a QWERTZ Pro1, but which languages do you want to use CTRL-space to switch among? Also, which specific keys do not produce the characters you want?

If none of them are correct except 'Z' and 'Y', then I suspect you have the wrong physical layout. To check this in the settings app on LineageOS 18.1, look at System -> Languages & input -> Physical keyboard -> Advanced settings -> Physical layout. You should be able to switch between the QWERTY and QWERTZ variants there.

Yes, of course, thanks for your help on this position!

- I don´t wanna switch the languages with CTRL-Space. This was just a test / information, which doesn´t work.

- when QWERTZ is selected...

1st row: 1234567890 ...  / instead ß  ...  instead ´
2nd row: q w e r t z u i o p ...  instead ü  ...  instead +
3rd row: a s d f g h j k l ...  instead ö ... instead ä
4th row: instead  ...  y x c v b n m , . -

(if you would like to know the special characters, they´re not 100% correct, too... tell me)

- Physical layout is: QWERTZ (sorry to say that 🙃)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

Yes, of course, thanks for your help on this position!

- I don´t wanna switch the languages with CTRL-Space. This was just a test / information, which doesn´t work.

- when QWERTZ is selected...

1st row: 1234567890 ...  / instead ß  ...  instead ´
2nd row: q w e r t z u i o p ...  instead ü  ...  instead +
3rd row: a s d f g h j k l ...  instead ö ... instead ä
4th row: instead  ...  y x c v b n m , . -

(if you would like to know the special characters, they´re not 100% correct, too... tell me)

- Physical layout is: QWERTZ (sorry to say that 🙃)

To make absolutely sure we are talking about the same keycap labels, does your QWERTZ Pro1 match this image? I have confirmed that my Pro1 generates the same characters for each key as shown in this image when configured to use the QWERTZ physical layout and German keyboard layout.

Pro1 QWERTZ.jpeg

• Like 2

With the physical layout set to QWERTZ but the keyboard layout set to English, my Pro1 generates the following characters:

1234567890-=
qwertyuiop[]
asdfghjkl;'
\zxcvbnm,./

This is almost the same as what you report, except 'y' is swapped with 'z', '-' is swapped with '/', and the bottom-left key generates '\' instead of '+'. Is it possible you still have a keyboard remapping app enabled, and your keyboard layout is not set to German in Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Physical keyboard -> Builtin Keyboard ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

image.png.b376bded0ecea6e20806461f403561e6.png

(3 differences)

OK, thank you for the image. Am I correct that the differences only affect the diagonal yellow arrow 'shift' on two keys? On my Pro1, when set to QWERTY and German both of the changes in cyan match the character generated by the key.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

OK, thank you for the image. Am I correct that the differences only affect the diagonal yellow arrow 'shift' on two keys? On my Pro1, when set to QWERTY and German both of the changes in cyan match the character generated by the key.

I´m not sure, if I understand what you mean 🙂
instead >

50 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

With the physical layout set to QWERTZ but the keyboard layout set to English, my Pro1 generates the following characters:

1234567890-=
qwertyuiop[]
asdfghjkl;'
\zxcvbnm,./

This is almost the same as what you report, except 'y' is swapped with 'z', '-' is swapped with '/', and the bottom-left key generates '\' instead of '+'. Is it possible you still have a keyboard remapping app enabled, and your keyboard layout is not set to German in Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Physical keyboard -> Builtin Keyboard ?

I will uninstall the following keyboard apps, then I will restart the phone and see what will happen 🙂
- AnySoftKeyboard
- Key Mapper ( I used these app to combine keypress to open apps or adjust the volume or brightness incl. keyboard backlight on and off)

-> No one of these two apps re-configure my layout itself

EDIT: No, that was not the solution.

Edited by TeZtdevice
2 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

I´m not sure, if I understand what you mean 🙂
instead >

I'm saying my Pro1 will generate the characters matching the key labels in the image you posted when configured correctly. If only the physical layout is set to QWERTZ, but the keyboard layout is set to English then the keys generate characters almost the same as what you are reporting.

• Thanks 1

Well, my keyboard works!
I deactivate many apps. Now I will check which app was the problem.

Special thanks to @Sean McCrearyand of course @EskeRahn for your time and support!!!

Edit 1: The app which change my keyboard layout was KeyMapper
Edit 2: The app which changed the layout too was AutoInput (for Tasker)

Edited by TeZtdevice
  • Like 4

Mine DID work, but today it does not???? I will see if I can find the time to dig deeper on the subject later, currently I'm just confused.....

My best guess is that since I had done a factory reset it initially worked, until some app of mine were installed as part of the restore in the background.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

My best guess is that since I had done a factory reset it initially worked, until some app of mine were installed as part of the restore in the background.

The app is not the cause itself, it is the active "accessibility service".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

The app is not the cause itself, it is the active "accessibility service".

Thanks!! Not quite though. It is allowed to have Greenify set to ON in accessibility, so not a general issue, BUT if I turn it ON for "Android Assistant", the keyboard is messed up, and turning it off things works again.
So now at the least we have a way to trigger the phenomena!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks!! Not quite though. It is allowed to have Greenify set to ON in accessibility, so not a general issue, BUT if I turn it ON for "Android Assistant", the keyboard is messed up, and turning it off things works again.
So now at the least we have a way to trigger the phenomena!

Just did a clean factory reset, restoring nothing, opened the Android Market app and installed Android Assistant (only). And from Accessibility set it to ON, and it is enough to trigger the phenomena.

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Just did a clean factory reset, restoring nothing, opened the Android Market app and installed Android Assistant (only). And from Accessibility set it to ON, and it is enough to trigger the phenomena.

Is this the app that triggers the problem? 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant

There is also another app with a similar name from AA Mobile. I would like to be able to duplicate the problem, but I think I need more details.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

Is this the app that triggers the problem? 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant

There is also another app with a similar name from AA Mobile. I would like to be able to duplicate the problem, but I think I need more details.

It is the one from "AA Mobile".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.advancedprocessmanager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidassistant.paid
(despite the different name, it is the paid/ad-based variants, both can cause the issue)

ADD I see in user feedback that other of their users have reported issues on Android 11, so unless other apps causes the same, it might not be important now..

@TeZtdevice do you also use Android Assistant, or were it other apps that triggered it for you?

32 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It is the one from "AA Mobile".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.advancedprocessmanager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidassistant.paid
(despite the different name, it is the paid/ad-based variants, both can cause the issue)

ADD I see in user feedback that others have reported issues on Android 11, so unless other apps causes the same, it might not be important now..

@TeZtdevice do you also use Android Assistant, or were it other apps that triggered it for you?

No, not now. I will report it in a few minutes.
I just deactivate all apps that manipulate my android, mainly Tasker ☺️.
At the end of last night, the issues comes from KeyMapper and Auto Input.

Edit 1: Yes, the keyboard layout is changed, when I activate the Accessibility Services of Assistant for Android

Edited by TeZtdevice
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

EITHER
First I uninstalled KeyMapper and said: that was not the problem, yes... because AutoInput was installed too 😑
Well, one app with activated accessibility service crashed the layout.

Great, thanks. So we know of at the least three apps that can trigger the issue. (but it is not all as Greenify can have accessibility ON)

Some confusion on names. The app I mentioned was previously called "Android Assistant", and that is how it present it self on the phone. But on the Android market it has been renamed to "Assistant for Android"

35 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Great, thanks. So we know of at the least three apps that can trigger the issue. (but it is not all as Greenify can have accessibility ON)

Some confusion on names. The app I mentioned was previously called "Android Assistant", and that is how it present it self on the phone. But on the Android market it has been renamed to "Assistant for Android"

Yes, why can Greenify handle it and not the others 😁
Thank you ...for your issue ticket, time, help etc.! 

Just now, TeZtdevice said:

Yes, why can Greenify handle it and not the others 😁
Thank you ...for your issue ticket, time, help etc.! 

My guess is that the three all mess with the keyboard part of accessibility, but Greenify uses other parts.
(Android Assistant uses it to fake user interaction for stopping apps, and that might be done with sending e.g. combinations of tab and space....)