AICP vs Lineage OS: Which ROM do you use on your Pro1?

AICP vs Lineage OS: Which ROM do you use on your Pro1?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. AICP vs Lineage OS: Which ROM do you use on your Pro1?

• Tried only Lineage OS
    • Tried only AICP
    • Tried both, prefer Lineage OS
    • Tried both, prefer AICP
    • Other

I am interested to hear from you which experiences you made in comparison with both. Especially, I am curious if the updating works in AICP. I have only used Lineage OS so far, and I tried a few times to upgrade the ROM with the internal upgrader, and afterwards the phone didn't boot anymore (I have Magisk root, and disk encrypted, that seems to be a problematic combination). Does this work with AICP?

• Like 1

I have tried both.  AICP offers more tweaks that I like.  Lineage seems very vanilla to me-- I used to use Dirty Unicorns.  I don't think there is much of a difference in their core functionality.  Now that AICP has become official, it is updated weekly with a reliable OTA updater.  I have not had problems with either Lineage or AICP's updater.  I do use Magisk, but only for SU,  I am encrypted according to settings (I only use swipe access).

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

I feel similar to Hook. The lineage is a cleaned up Android, where you can infest it with the Gapps you need or none at all to your liking.
The Aicp is (in my layman terms) like a Lineage with added options to tweak as you please.

I like the AICP better, as it somehow feels cleaner. But I must admit that I barely use all the options, as none of the OS's are on my daily driver (a normal retail unit) that runs plain Android. I have a suspicion (though I have not yet tested!) that some of my apps will not work if I upgrade from stock Android to AICP.

One app that I find crucial with a flip case is @Slion's fx-service for turning off the display when the magnet triggers the hall sensor. And unfortunately that does not currently work as it supposed to on AICP. And on top the App needs a big privilege on AICP, that it does not need on Android.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, dreamflasher said:

I am interested to hear from you which experiences you made in comparison with both. Especially, I am curious if the updating works in AICP. I have only used Lineage OS so far, and I tried a few times to upgrade the ROM with the internal upgrader, and afterwards the phone didn't boot anymore (I have Magisk root, and disk encrypted, that seems to be a problematic combination). Does this work with AICP?

I haven't tried AICP yet because LOS 18.1 has been working nicely, including OTA updates wich leave both GApps and Magisk intact. Also, according to the settings page, my phone is encrypyted, too.

• Like 3

Two things that annoy me with LOS 18.1: 1) there's no way to turn off notifications turning on the display (it should exist, but the option does not exist for me, maybe I need to update), 2) I'd like to customize number of rows and columns on the home screen (I know I can use a different launcher, but would prefer the built-in one) 

On 10/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, dreamflasher said:

I have only used Lineage OS so far, and I tried a few times to upgrade the ROM with the internal upgrader, and afterwards the phone didn't boot anymore (I have Magisk root, and disk encrypted, that seems to be a problematic combination).

When I still had an official LineageOS, I was applying every weekly OTA and "su" would be preserved reliably. I never disabled encryption. Those were the days of AddonSU though, which was officially supported by LOS. Always remember that Magisk is a third-party tool before blaming the OS for it to stop working for some reason.

Today I run my own builds which I install via sideload. This requires "su" to be reinstalled at every update ... one gets used to it. At this point, I would not prefer one ROM over another just for its ability to maintain root across updates. Let's face it: us rooted users are considered weirdos in the Android world. Once we accept that, life becomes easier for everyone ... 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1