USB drivers in Windows 10

Hi! This is driving me crazy for two days now.

I cannot seem to get an ADB connection during the Fastboot screen.

The bootloader is locked and I want to flash a new image (magisk) to unlock it.

I can only communicate with the phone when it has booted into Android and is detected with ADB devices.

I've installed Android Studio tools with even the Pie (9) stuff and Google USB drivers.

As soon as I restart it into the bootloader screen, Windows sees it as 'Android' in Device Manager instead of QX1000 and it has the yellow caution symbol.

I cannot get it to have the right drivers. Pointing it to the manually-downloaded folder of Google USB drivers leads to nothing.

111111.PNG

• Sad 1

I have had those issues too on Win 11, and on a new machine selecting the right drivers was not enough, I need to use it in 'safe' mode to get it working.

I GUESS it might be related to driver-signing if a windows 10 update has tightened this requirement for security reasons? See this from Win11.

When assigning a driver manually, try to select All Devices and then "Have disk" and browse for  "android_winusb" that was downloaded.

Having better luck with this now.... will update but laptop at 10% battery.

nothing.PNG

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Adrienspawn said:

When assigning a driver manually, try to select All Devices and then "Have disk" and browse for  "android_winusb" that was downloaded.

Having better luck with this now.... will update but laptop at 10% battery.

nothing.PNG

2222222.PNG

Great to hear. Unfortunately the same does not go for Win11, as it requires either all drivers to be signed, or check no drivers. AFAIK there are no longer ways to accept individual drivers as unsigned. But I guess Google soon will give us a signed version here.

No luck yet  Still undetected by ADB.

Just getting different things to show up in Device Manager...

Starting to wonder if I shouldn't use a Windows 7 device to do what needs to be done. Updating to 11 I would rather avoid since you mentioned that doesn't help. 

But really it should work on Windows 10. This is ridiculous. How is everyone else unlocking their bootloader?

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

If I recall right there was something with this only being the first ones. I might remember wrong though.

Yes I read something to that effect. And mine arrived in February of 2019 which is relatively early too.

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm almost certain you meant 2020. 😋

Ok yeah. Among the first from the preorder still.

Cant believe how difficult it is to unlock. For a techy phone especially. Usually I have an easy time. Really annoyed. I just want Windows to detect it under the bootloader... Windows. Not even Linux or Mac.

This is a general pc issue, not limited to the Pro1. It can be REALLY tricky to get fastboot connection to work.
I was lucky with my ancient 2016 laptop, everything worked smoothly. Not so lucky with my 2021 one.... (Both Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, just newer generation...)

Sometimes just using a different port on the same PC might do the trick. Sometimes you might need a hub. Sometimes a different cable is what it takes. You could try a completely different computer, if it is one time only, just to unlock....

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't it expected, that the device doesn't show up under adb devices as soon as you rebooted into fastboot mode?

At least it was that way for me today and I was still able to flash the latest Lineage version. Didn't have to unlock the bootloader as I did that previously, but the instruction here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/install only uses adb to get to fastboot mode and continues with fastboot commands.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Jacob_S said:

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't it expected, that the device doesn't show up under adb devices as soon as you rebooted into fastboot mode?

At least it was that way for me today and I was still able to flash the latest Lineage version. Didn't have to unlock the bootloader as I did that previously, but the instruction here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/install only uses adb to get to fastboot mode and continues with fastboot commands.

Thank you I will try this once home

Just now, Adrienspawn said:

Thank you I will try this once home

"fastboot devices" command at first didn't work with default drivers (yellow caution triangle over 'Android') but then I manually set Android to use the Google USB driver and then selected that it be seen as the Android Bootloader Interface (only possible using the DISK method and 'All Devices'). 

Now fastboot devices sees the device. WOOOOOOOOOOO

fastboot devices.JPG

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

A big update. Unsigned drivers now allowed!

On a Lenovo Yoga X1 Gen 6 I previously used an old hub to get things working, even after all the mess to work with the unsigned driver.

Today fumbling with Lineage19 I found out that if I used the front port of their Thunderbolt4 'dock' and a short extension cord, flashing worked at normal speed after changing the driver (and thus twice enter the 48 digit key.....), So no need for the slow old hub.

AND what is even better it STILL works after a reboot out of the no-driver-signing mode. So at some point since last fall, they have changed the behaviour so this mode allows you to install AND KEEP an unsigned driver after a boot to their standard mode.
Thanks a LOT!! 👏😄

I do not want to rock the boat here, but it MIGHT be that we can (again) simply install an unsigned driver (like Google's from 2014 here), after just accepting a warning. Please try that someone else struggling with the flashing and Win 11.... ex @pebert ?

• Thanks 1