how to deal with the curved screen?

Hi there.

I've had my prawn for some months now and after kind of fixing the horrible reception quality i really got to love the little device. Before that i alwas stuck with the motorola milestone/droid brand.

However apart from dropping it like 3 times a day i really realy really struggle to come to terms with the curved screen. I just cannot avoid touching it wrong and unleashing all sorts of unintentional functions while trying to handle the phone, trying to press a side button, or just trying to type a message on the lovely keyboard.

Am i the only one? Are there any tricks to this?

• Like 1

Are you on stock Android? Don't know about that, but on LineageOS 18.1, in "Settings" -> "System", the last item is "Touchscreen", which lets you set (in three steps) how wide a margin should be insensitive to the touch. Personally, I'm mostly ok now after setting it to 32. 

Oh, and I've reduced my drop rate (which used to be very similar to yours) to practically zero by covering the whole back cover surface (minus camera) with transparent packaging tape!

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Personally, I'm mostly ok now after setting it to 32.

Yes, that LOS option is a blessing. I also ended up with a value of 32.

I found the "pointer location" debugging function (settings > system > developer options > pointer location) useful for optimising the width of the unsensitive edge.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
On 11/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, Rob. S. said:

Oh, and I've reduced my drop rate (which used to be very similar to yours) to practically zero by covering the whole back cover surface (minus camera) with transparent packaging tape!

I used the same approach but have used more force:

Griptape
I did not cover the whole back though, Just the area where the fingers are.

The disadvantage of that tape is that it becomes less grippy over time. How is the transparent packing tape holding up?

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
9 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

The disadvantage of that tape is that it becomes less grippy over time. How is the transparent packing tape holding up?

Quite well, actually. Earlier this year, to be a bit more safe, I applied a display protection foil after the phone had come back from a screen replacement. Next thing I did was trying to swipe some dirt from the display, which resulted in swiping the phone from the table, as the screen protector was much more sticky than the screen alone—making the next display replacement necessary...

Then I thought, why not put something like that foil on the back of the phone instead of the front? I experimented with commercially available back cover protector foils for some other phones, but they didn't fit well, nor did they stick properly to the curved casing. Then I tried that packaging tape, and since then it does exactly what I wanted.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The margin fixed it - wow this is so much better!

I put some self adhesive 20mm epdm foam on the back of the device. The primary intention was that it stands upright for filming but it actually handles a lot better too.

Good thing i don't plan on putting it in jeans pockets.

2089817694_WhatsAppImage2021-11-30at18_33.02(1).thumb.jpeg.fa264fab2278069b3e90a35649c73af4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I put (a) a magnetic (ferrous) metal rectangle for easy dock/undock from car-mounted magnetic dock, and (b) reflective aluminum (carefully where it does not interrupt the antenna system) to reflect sunlight from 30 deg C plus illumination. Has been super effective. No more issues with phone overheating while in the car!

EDIT: I may not have used proper Al sheet, more likely tin which would better explain interaction with antennae.

Edited by mbecroft