Pro1 Now Out Of Service :(

Hi you lot 🖐️

Long time no see (been mega mega busy with a house move and other stuff).
But just to say, I have now retired my Pro1 from frontline service.😢

The main reasons being:

1. Android 9
2. Lack of updates from FxTec - Bugfixes, security patches etc.
3. And the fact that I use my mobile devices for a lot of online transactions, banking, Amazon etc etc etc.

No.3 Is the main concern as no more security updates are coming from Google for Android 9 makes it unadvisable to use it for online financial and private use.
I may root it, when I pluck up the courage, and replace the O/S with something a little more up to date and chuck a new battery in it.

It's a shame FxTec dropped support for the device so soon after launch. I could have been using it still today.
I've now got one of those monster Blackview BV8800 Rugged Phones (Android 11). It's a monster of a device, bigger than the Pro1, but for the price the feature list is phenomenal.
I've also still got my Xperia 10 II running Sailfish/ Android 10.

I'm open to ideas for the alternative O/S for the Pro1, if anyone has any.

19 minutes ago, MickH said:

I'm open to ideas for the alternative O/S for the Pro1, if anyone has any.

Try LineageOS, basically it solves every problems. 🙂
My phone is much better since I use LineageOS - it has became a different device. 🙂

• Like 5

...And you do not have to root it to try another ROM.
Though you might need to, to trick some banking apps to work under e.g. LineageOS

AICP-R is also an interesting alternative to LineageOS. The AICP-S is still very early, with some initial oddities.

The keyboard-handling messed up in Lineage 18&19 preventing some accessibility dependant apps from working is a LineageOS only bug. These apps works fine on both AICP-R and AICP-S.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MickH said:

It's a shame FxTec dropped support for the device so soon after launch. I could have been using it still today.

They didn't have a choice. Their sub-contractor (which owned and owns all the rights to the software) ditched them completely! If there's any hate, it's the company f(x)tec hired to get the code done that screwed all of us!

• Thanks 3
6 hours ago, brunoais said:

They didn't have a choice. Their sub-contractor (which owned and owns all the rights to the software) ditched them completely! If there's any hate, it's the company f(x)tec hired to get the code done that screwed all of us!

Um, what does that mean for us Pro¹ X users?

Edited by JECE
typo
10 hours ago, VaZso said:

I think it means they have changed their contractor, so there is a new team/company working on its software.

Right, and that includes hope for a longer support with security updates.  

• Like 3