Pro¹ X - backup, restore and repair device specific partitions

one user suggests button combo instead of adb to get into edl:

what is this "full" mode vs not full mode? I tried with buttons to no difference, still times out.

are these guide's / tooling up to date? the information seems a little scattered between threads.

is there any official documentation or official tooling from fx for flashing process and proper backing up procedure?

please advise as I do not wish to brick my device. it appears it is easy to do so:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/4022-pro1x-is-bricked-is-there-any-way-to-save-it/?do=findComment&comment=69661

Edited by phukfxtec
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is highly advised to take a backup of your device specific partitions right after you receive the device. Update 20220829: tl:dr: Community has not found a safe way to restore backups as of yet.

Yet another way how to backup persist (or any other) partition even without PC, with rooted phone and Magisk: Install Magisk module "backup" and reboot. After that using some terminal app in phon

Edited the first post with working repair instructions using restorecon. Ii just now successfully found that way to be working on my side. 🥳🎉

55 minutes ago, phukfxtec said:

is there any official documentation or official tooling from fx for flashing process and proper backing up procedure?

You could start at the thread pinned to the top in the community, where I keep various links like these....

• Confused 1
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You could start at the thread pinned to the top in the community, where I keep various links like these....

That is where I started.

It led me here. Where edl is failing to backup the persist partition.

Edited by phukfxtec

linux host and linux livedvd vm continue to give issue... unknown root cause.

tried edl on different machine with windows.

hit issue: "NotImplementedError: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform"....solution was to reinstall WinUSB driver in Zadig: https://github.com/bkerler/edl/issues/349#issuecomment-2060152724

backup successful.

Edited by phukfxtec
On 8/12/2022 at 7:44 PM, mosen said:

tl:dr: Community has not found a safe way to restore backups as of yet. Making below described backups is still highly advised for a future where some wizard found a reliable way to restore those backups.

new question: if flash linux, how to go back to android if can't restore backup?

op make this note that there is no way to restore?

Edited by phukfxtec
4 hours ago, phukfxtec said:

new question: if flash linux, how to go back to android if can't restore backup?

op make this note that there is no way to restore?

You can flash different OS (like Lineage OS or Sailfish OS) and go back to stock Android just by flashing it IF you do not brick the device during the process. The device is not completely wiped when you flash different OS. Idea of the back up is to save all partitions just in case if some error happens. However, currently there is no way restore those back ups but it does not mean that they are useless or could not be used in the future.

So, just be careful when flashing 😉.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, rossko said:

I know you're probably going to call me a newbie or something

never. we all start somewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't provide much better steps than what is already in the OP. I guess start here:

1. backup persist.
    1. try adb method first. requires unlocked and a recovery boot
    2. if above doesn't work, install EDL (see readme and OP)
    3. edl r persist persist_backup.img
      edl r modemst2 modemst2_backup.img
      edl r modemst1 modemst1_backup.img
      edl r fsc fsc_backup.img
      edl r fsg fsg_backup.img
  2. flash your OS of choice:

Edited by phukfxtec
  • Thanks 2