Community forum is now private

Is it me or the forum is now private and only registered users can access it? That means it is not being indexed by search engines anymore.

I was wondering why they have not closed it yet. Making it private does make sense from FxTec point of view as it let people use it without publicly showing off their failings. Though it would be wise to stop using it and move all useful information elsewhere before they decide to pull the plug for good.

I'm still due a Pro¹X refund. I'm also contemplating selling at least one of my two Pro¹s. So sad that FxTec could not deliver, upset they robbed so many people without even apologizing. Also sad they will surely never be able to run such crowd funded campaigns anymore to bring alternative devices to the market, or maybe we should be glad that's the case.

Been using a Honor Magic V2 for a couple of weeks and it's pretty awesome.

Edited by Slion
  • Sad 3
  • Slion changed the title to Community forum is now private

It doesn't appear to be private.  It's true that the URL, if you are not signed in, lands on an error page with buttons to "contact us" or "Sign in if you are already a user", but there is still a "sign up" link at the top upper right that still gets you the sign up form.  So not super-obvious, but still works.

EDIT: Oh, but I now realize I misinterpreted what you meant by "private."  Yes, it appears you can no longer read the forum without joining.

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

You CAN, but it requires a trick, that was posted on Indiegogo a few months ago. Just a sec, I will see if I can find it....

Nice trick, seems to be working here too. Google search can also give some results but it looks mostly broken though… I recall it was working much better than that.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2024 at 2:19 PM, Slion said:

Been using a Honor Magic V2 for a couple of weeks and it's pretty awesome.

I wish I hadn't read that. (That said, it's of course not much more expensive than two Pro1/Pro1X phones were, either, let alone if you paid for three and only got two [so far]...)

How does typing work? (Unfolded, I take it the lower half cannot sprout a physical keyboard, can it?)

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I wish I hadn't read that. (That said, it's of course not much more expensive than two Pro1/Pro1X phones were, either, let alone if you paid for three and only got two [so far]...)

How does typing work? (Unfolded, I take it the lower half cannot sprout a physical keyboard, can it?)

i been using a samsung fold 5 and its absolutely awesome , i can imagine that honor magic also be awesome 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/29/2024 at 10:45 PM, Rob. S. said:

Virtual keyboard only I'm afraid. I'm just not using physical keyboard anymore anyway since I developed Interface, not even on PC that is.

I'm still testing out various keyboards and I found some interesting ones but still mostly using Gboard. Interestingly the default keyboard is SwiftKey by Microsoft. Did not try it much though.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have background information on this? Why did F(x)tec make this site private?

Much valuable technical information on the Pro1 and Pro1-X is documented here, which is certainly relevant for aftermarket users, even though the Pro1/X are no longer produced. Think of the maemo.org forum, which is still active today, 15 years after the N900 was launched ... Could we have something like that?

5 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Does anyone have background information on this? Why did F(x)tec make this site private?

Much valuable technical information on the Pro1 and Pro1-X is documented here, which is certainly relevant for aftermarket users, even though the Pro1/X are no longer produced. Think of the maemo.org forum, which is still active today, 15 years after the N900 was launched ... Could we have something like that?

As pointed out, there is a work around. Neither @EskeRahn nor I have insight into this (we don't have any more communication with FxTec than anyone else here).  It might have been a response to some rather aggressive spamming that was occurring, though I don't know, don't know how exactly it would improve that, nor do I even know if it was FxTec's doing.  This is (and I only know this from researching the forum software site) a turnkey solution forum.  The forum is hosted on the forum software maker's servers and they do all the back-end security while FxTec is responsible for the user-facing stuff.   By the way, it is interesting that FxTec , or somebody, must be paying to keep this forum going.

I suspect not that there was an intention to make this forum private, but more that something was requested/set that didn't turn out as expected, but no one is watching closely.  But, honestly, I have no answers.

• Thanks 2

It appears that the forum has indeed transitioned to a private mode, restricting access to registered users only. This change may indicate a shift in strategy by FxTec to mitigate public exposure of any issues. While it's understandable to feel disappointed by the lack of accountability and unresolved refunds, it's crucial to consider migrating valuable information elsewhere before potential closure. As for alternative devices, exploring options like the Honor Magic V2 could offer a fresh perspective and improved user experience.

• Like 1

Of course much of the forum's content is not exactly helping the company's reputation, and with a public forum that content must have been showing up in all kinds of search engine results. TBH, I had been expecting them to do something about that rather sooner than only now. Maybe some inconvenient questions turned up in the context of their recent/current connection to that new "Clicks for iPhone" device (https://community.fxtec.com/topic/4062-self-built-slider/?tab=comments#comment-68348), and that drove them to take some action?

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1