Good to see there is dual sim support! I'm wondering if there will be a specific implementation for supporting dual apps like whatsapp (which requires a unique mobile phone number to start). I'm not a dual sim phone user yet but I can't find anything about stock android 9.0 supporting dual apps. Most dual sim phones have support for it via a brand specific implementation (Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Asus, Huawei), will this also be the case for the new Pro1 device?

Keep up the good work!

• 5 weeks later...
I’m a long time dual SIM user (currently on my second LG G4 Dual)

most app devs seem not to be aware there could be multiple sims, so they default to the first (slot 0)

on the LG’s ROM you can choose which SIM is for the data connection

App cloning is something that the OS should support

App cloning is something that the OS should support

For some apps that approach might work well, but not for others. Unless they are aware what is going on so some data can be shared between the clones.

So I guess the device does not come with functionality for app cloning like for example Blackberry Android devices?

There are multiple app cloner apps on the market, some free, and some with millions of users. I have no idea if one will be pre installed.

A very popular choice is "Parallel Space" with over 100millions downloads, and 3.6M reviews giving it a 4.6 score. might be worth a try.

But if you ask if there will be a specially customized version of Android with the functionality added, I doubt it. If I understand correctly they specifically want it to be a "Pure Android experience", with a few apps added to ease the usage in Landscape compared to native Android, but none you are 'forced' to use.

I found app cloning being a popular feature inside Chinese firmware (i.e No google play services)

As Pro1 targeting to be "As stock Android as possible" and fully Google certified, I am not sure if this can be legally added. (Technically there is no problem)

Because some apps and services like Whatsapp may have T&C not allowing such action, so we suggest leaving it to individual users. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Surely DUAL SIM support is baked in stock Android. I doubt fxtec has the resources to implement that themselves.

For the principal functionality, I'm sure you are right. But it seems that not all apps handle it equally well. e.g. apps 'locking' to a specific phone number. Hence the popularity of the cloning apps.

You might want to use the same account with two phone numbers if you operate in a border region, and would avoid roaming.

Or it could be a work&private scenario, where you would like things separated.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want seamless integration of Dual-SIM. I currently have an LG G6 H870DS where the dual-SIM works so effortlessly good. I can constantly receive messages and calls to both SIMs, and when I want to call/SMS I can quickly just choose which SIM to use by dragging down the notification menu. I have Whatsapp coupled to one of my SIMs, and my everyday use number and mobile network on the other SIM. Does not need to be any more complicated than that. K.I.S.

I really want seamless integration of Dual-SIM. I currently have an LG G6 H870DS where the dual-SIM works so effortlessly good. I can constantly receive messages and calls to both SIMs, and when I want to call/SMS I can quickly just choose which SIM to use by dragging down the notification menu. I have Whatsapp coupled to one of my SIMs, and my everyday use number and mobile network on the other SIM. Does not need to be any more complicated than that. K.I.S.

Well if someone live near a border or frequently travel between two countries, they just MIGHT want apps such as WhatApp to work on both numbers, and as some apps can not, the cloning comes in play as a workaround. I have no idea what of your G6 experence that are core Android, and what LG should be credited for - let's hope that most is build into android.

Well if someone live near a border or frequently travel between two countries, they just MIGHT want apps such as WhatApp to work on both numbers, and as some apps can not, the cloning comes in play as a workaround. I have no idea what of your G6 experence that are core Android, and what LG should be credited for – let’s hope that most is build into android.

I'm pretty sure at least the interface for managing dual SIM is thanks to LG. Prior to owning this G6, I owned a Lenovo with dual SIM. It has awful support for that. I pretty much had to custom install specific apps for messages and contacts that supported dual SIM. So while Android probably natively support dual SIM, the interface and functionality seems to be up to the manufacturer. Because even if the interface was bad, the core function was flawless: could receive calls on both SIMs and use mobile data without any issues.

Here is a screen shot from my G6 from its drag-down notification menu. Simple choice of choosing between desired carrier (Elisa or Hallon) on the go.

[attachment file=14254]

• 2 months later...

I think what you're talking about is DSDS or DSDA (dual standby or dual active). This is what I came to ask about myself. On my Pixel 3 right now, I have to manually switch between two SIMs, with only one active at a time and the other completely off. With DSDS (dual standby) at least you can receive messages from both at the same time, and choose which to use for data and calls. This is what most dual SIM phones do that are sold internationally. There is also DSDA which I believe alows for using both data connections simultaneously (though I'm not sure what devices support this yet).

I was curious whether this phone will support at least DSDS? I think it might require having two IMEI to register on two networks simultaneously, but I'm not totally sure, I'm still just learning about this myself.

• 2 months later...
I think what you’re talking about is DSDS or DSDA (dual standby or dual active). This is what I came to ask about myself. On my Pixel 3 right now, I have to manually switch between two SIMs, with only one active at a time and the other completely off. With DSDS (dual standby) at least you can receive messages from both at the same time, and choose which to use for data and calls. This is what most dual SIM phones do that are sold internationally. There is also DSDA which I believe alows for using both data connections simultaneously (though I’m not sure what devices support this yet).

I was curious whether this phone will support at least DSDS? I think it might require having two IMEI to register on two networks simultaneously, but I’m not totally sure, I’m still just learning about this myself.

I am wondering myself. Hope to see this answered.