POLL: What keyboard layout do you want?

As an indirect continuation on this discussion (https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/alternative-layouts/), here is a poll for investigating the actual demand on different keyboard layouts:

[EDIT: New link, please vote again, see this post below]

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5cd98900e4b01977b196d014

Please only fill in one reply per person!

To the devs: You are welcome!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be better with some priority. As I got several I could use with little difference in preference - note we are talking PRINT only.

(To get the keys returning what matches the users preferences should be the easy part)

My priority for PRINT would be with estimated percentages

[ul]25 Danish

23 Scandinavian, (multi-print or any of Swe/Nor)

20 US (non-shifted)

15 German-QWERTZ

12 US All four rows shifted

5 US A-Z shifted only[/ul]

Please add Swiss (QWERTZ) and US-International to the selections.

Apparently I cannot edit a poll that has already gotten responses.

Here's a link to the new poll with SWISS and US International options. But then everyone has to re-vote.

Moderator, could you please edit the link in my original post to the new one, but still keep this post to explain what has happened?

Thanks!

NEW POLL: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5cd98900e4b01977b196d014

Also, why the hell are there multiple US and UK keyboard layouts? WHY?

Moderator, could you please edit the link in my original post to the new one, but still keep this post to explain what has happened?

Done. For the curious, the old poll was here

Thanks! I locked the old poll (I thought the results would still be visible to all, but nope...), but here are the results from the old one:

[attachment file=14640]

So please, those who haven't noticed the new poll, go vote there! E.g. I notice that no US-votes have been re-entered in the new poll.

As a United States citizen who is only fluent in English (which is most of the US), I don't really know the difference between US QWERTY and US International QWERTY. I picked US QWERTY in the first poll and I only picked US International QWERTY in the second poll with the assumption that it allows other people who do need special characters (presumably through some sort of shift/alt/function key) to access them.

I just now did a quick google search and found some apple keyboards that claim to be US International and others that claim to be regular US. It doesn't seem like either one matches the Pro 1 keyboard. Is there a different layout for mobile keyboards vs computer keyboards?

If it means me pressing extra keys to type English, then I'll selfishly change my answer to the regular US QWERTY keyboard. :-)

As a United States citizen who is only fluent in English (which is most of the US), I don’t really know the difference between US QWERTY and US International QWERTY. I picked US QWERTY in the first poll and I only picked US International QWERTY in the second poll with the assumption that it allows other people who do need special characters (presumably through some sort of shift/alt/function key) to access them.

I just now did a quick google search and found some apple keyboards that claim to be US International and others that claim to be regular US. It doesn’t seem like either one matches the Pro 1 keyboard. Is there a different layout for mobile keyboards vs computer keyboards?

If it means me pressing extra keys to type English, then I’ll selfishly change my answer to the regular US QWERTY keyboard. :-)

You are right, the US-International allows to type in other languages too. There are two approaches:

1. Dead key: In my opinion this is horrible, it means that some keys like " are waiting for another key. So "a gives you an ä and 'A an Á and so on. To type a normal " you have to press it twice. This approach actively hurts normal US Users.

2. Alt Gr: This is what we are talking about. Characters of other languages are well hide behind the Alt Gr key (Alt Gr+q = ä, Alt Gr+Q = Ä ...). This is faster and does not obstruct US-Users other than it would need an additional colour and a third set of characters on the key.

I’m quite astonished that no francophone seems to be interested…

Well until now only 25 people have answered the Poll, that was just launched about 24h ago. So hardly a representative proportion of the interested. See e.g. the disproportional large portion in the polls from the small Scandinavian countries.

I haven’t been following all the other threads. Is US QWERTY the only one that will be offered at launch?

I don't think they have it quite clear if the German QWERTZ will be offered simultaneously or follows after.

The pre-order page (still?) says

When will you support other keyboard layouts (QWERTZ, AZERTY, Scandi etc)

The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY keyboard layout, when there is sufficient demand we will create additional keyboard layouts.

But we DO know that a German QWERTZ will be made (see this thread).

with

...we will try to deliver it same time with QWERTY. :)

Thanks EskeRahn. I wasn't sure if "The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY..." meant only US QWERTY or other QWERTY layouts too, with other alternate symbols on the keys.

Thanks EskeRahn. I wasn’t sure if “The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY…” meant only US QWERTY or other QWERTY layouts too, with other alternate symbols on the keys.

I don’t think they have it quite clear if the German QWERTZ will be offered simultaneously or follows after.

I think you guys missed my post in the other thread yesterday: https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/alternative-layouts/page/9/#post-14634

First batch, by the sound of it, will only be US QWERTY*, with other layouts being shipped out later.

*They only call it "QWERTY", but I assume it is US layout even if the company is UK based.

Thanks EskeRahn. I wasn’t sure if “The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY…” meant only US QWERTY or other QWERTY layouts too, with other alternate symbols on the keys.

(I do not KNOW that is what is meant, but I ASSUME so - it is not super clear)

I'm very surpised that the most demanded layout so far, according to the poll, is the German QWERTZ. I was expecting US QWERTY International to be the leader of the pack, but nope...

The results so far (15 May 2019):

[attachment file=Screenshot 2019-05-15 12.21.58.png]

I’m very surpised that the most demanded layout so far, according to the poll, is the German QWERTZ. I was expecting US QWERTY International to be the leader of the pack, but nope…

To be comparable you should sum up US and US international. But the Poll is pretty useless at the moment anyway. Only 34 votes so only 13 people voted for the German Layout. That is not enough to measure a trend.

I’m very surpised that the most demanded layout so far, according to the poll, is the German QWERTZ. I was expecting US QWERTY International to be the leader of the pack, but nope…

I think many people just don't know what the US International QWERTY layout is.

[attachment file=F(x) - 420px-KB_US-International.svg.png]

And it's even more difficult to know how the layout will look on the Pro1 phone.

Which accented/special characters will actually be printed on the keyboard?

We have already seen quite many discussions to define the German QWERTZ layout :-)

To be comparable you should sum up US and US international. But the Poll is pretty useless at the moment anyway. Only 34 votes so only 13 people voted for the German Layout. That is not enough to measure a trend.

I did, and even so there are more German votes than US. That was the entire point.

Obviously it is not a statistically significant poll yet, but it doesn't derive from the fact that the result SO FAR, is unexpected (imo).

And yeah it is "useless" now as not enough people vote. I tried to tweet it to Fxtec for them to send it out to their followers, but they don't seem to care. If you can make it more relevant in some way, please feel free to do so.

I did, and even so there are more German votes than US. That was the entire point.

Obviously it is not a statistically significant poll yet, but it doesn’t derive from the fact that the result SO FAR, is unexpected (imo).

And yeah it is “useless” now as not enough people vote. I tried to tweet it to Fxtec for them to send it out to their followers, but they don’t seem to care. If you can make it more relevant in some way, please feel free to do so.

Sorry nothing at all against your poll. I am indeed glad you made it. I am just saying, that the 13 votes could be the same very eager person. But at least you can see why they confirmed a German layout.

Sorry nothing at all against your poll. I am indeed glad you made it. I am just saying, that the 13 votes could be the same very eager person. But at least you can see why they confirmed a German layout.

Yeah makes sense. It just makes me reflect on the odd decisions of the past (like... 8 years ago or so) when phones with physical keyboards could only be found in USA;

My Xperia Pro Mk16i (which I loved so much) died, and I was looking at getting a newer keyboard phone. There were options from both LG, Samsung and Motorola (that I can remember). but for some odd reason, these phones were sold exclusively on the US-market. I still to this day cannot grasp why these phones were only sold to USA and not anywhere else. I doubt Europeans and Asians disliked physical keyboards any less than Americans....

Yeah makes sense. It just makes me reflect on the odd decisions of the past (like… 8 years ago or so) when phones with physical keyboards could only be found in USA;

My Xperia Pro Mk16i (which I loved so much) died, and I was looking at getting a newer keyboard phone. There were options from both LG, Samsung and Motorola (that I can remember). but for some odd reason, these phones were sold exclusively on the US-market. I still to this day cannot grasp why these phones were only sold to USA and not anywhere else. I doubt Europeans and Asians disliked physical keyboards any less than Americans….

I'm guessing here: If you already see the keyboard you want in the pictures, you might not bother to even open a thread on alternative layouts?

The German QWERTZ thread had been up for quite a while, and this might have wheeled in people with interest in the German keyboard to be active in the forum, ant from here they got to the poll thread...

But just guessing.

• 2 weeks later...