Small update for those only following the forums.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takeaways...

- Overall, very well received by the show hosts. I believe it was mentioned how solid it felt and how nice the buttons felt.

- It looked very responsive. I didn't notice any lag with any apps that were run. Scrolling was very smooth. The only delay I saw was switching from landscape to portrait mode or vice versa, which is normal, in my experience. It isn't clear if that was just the standard delay or if it was extra processing of the app rebuilding in the new view. I haven't used newer versions of Android enough to know if there is a delay setting now. I know my old S3 Relay 4G takes 3 seconds to switch from portrait to landscape in Chrome. :-)

- In the discussion from Google I/O about Project Mainline, it was stated that the F(x) Tec will get google updates out as soon as possible. It was also mentioned that it is stock Android. I was under the impression, since it is stock Android, that we'd get the updates the same time the Pixels get them. Now, if I'm understanding correctly, it seems like F(x) Tec still has to do some things when the updates come out, but maybe not as many changes need to be made as other manufacturers, so they can get them out faster, just not concurrently with Google.

To be clear, Project Mainline will go around the manufacturers for security updates, but I'm talking about other updates that don't come through the Play Store. It would be good to hear from F(x) Tec on this topic.

- The Pro 1 has support for Android Q on the Snapdragon 835. Beyond that is an unknown.

- The screen looked very glossy/reflective. It does make one wonder about glare issues. To be fair, the OnePlus 7 Pro had the same look.

- When talking about the Pixel 3a, they brought up the Pixel Visual Core chip that is missing on that phone vs the regular Pixel 3. They have made up for it in software, but the comment was made that some things take a little longer to process when taking pictures. It will be interesting to see if that type of software processing is available on the Pro 1 through the google camera app ports and how it performs. The Pixel 3a has a Snapdragon 670, versus the Snapdragon 835 on the Pro 1. It seems in some processing tasks, the 670 beats the 835 a little bit, and for other tasks, it is the other way around.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I just glanced at some benchmark comparisons online. It seems that raw CPU computations are faster on the 835 than 670, but the 670 might have some advantages in some of the non-CPU processing (GPU, DSP, ISP, VPS).

- I don't recall the camera being discussed much or the fact that it has the same Sony camera chip as the Pixel 3. It surprised me that wasn't mentioned.

- Game system emulators with physical keyboard apparently work really well on the Pro 1. :-)

- The show title went to the Pro 1, with "The Little Lappytop" :-)

I have some screenshots of the phone being shown on the show, plus one of the glare on the OnePlus 7 Pro, plus one final shot of the hosts and Adrian. However, the forum software only allows attachments of 12 KB or smaller! I can't shrink them down that small and still have anything worth seeing. :-) If anyone has an idea of how to share them, let me know.

Takeaways…

– Overall, very well received by the show hosts. I believe it was mentioned how solid it felt and how nice the buttons felt.

– It looked very responsive. I didn’t notice any lag with anything apps that were run. Scrolling was very smooth. The only delay I saw was switching from landscape to portrait mode or vice versa, which is normal, in my experience. It isn’t clear if that was just the standard delay or if it was extra processing of the app rebuilding in the new view. I haven’t used newer versions of Android enough to know if there is a delay setting now. I know my old S3 Relay 4G takes 3 seconds to switch from portrait to landscape in Chrome. :-)

– In the discussion from Google I/O about Project Mainline, it was stated that the F(x) Tec will get google updates out as soon as possible. It was also mentioned that it is stock Android. I was under the impression, since it is stock Android, that we’d get the updates the same time the Pixels get them. Now, if I’m understanding correctly, it seems like F(x) Tec still has to do some things when the updates come out, but maybe not as many changes need to be made as other manufacturers, so they can get them out faster, just not concurrently with Google.

To be clear, Project Mainline will go around the manufacturers for security updates, but I’m talking about other updates that don’t come through the Play Store. It would be good to hear from F(x) Tec on this topic.

– The Pro 1 has support for Android Q on the Snapdragon 835. Beyond that is an unknown.

– The screen looked very glossy/reflective. It does make one wonder about glare issues. To be fair, the OnePlus 7 Pro had the same look.

– When talking about the Pixel 3a, they brought up the Pixel Visual Core chip that is missing on that phone vs the regular Pixel 3. They have made up for it in software, but the comment was made that some things take a little longer to process when taking pictures. It will be interesting to see if that type of software processing is available on the Pro 1 through the google camera app ports and how it performs. The Pixel 3a has a Snapdragon 670, versus the Snapdragon 835 on the Pro 1. It seems in some processing tasks, the 670 beats the 835 a little bit, and for other tasks, it is the other way around.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I just glanced at some benchmark comparisons online. It seems that raw CPU computations are faster on the 835 than 670, but the 670 might have some advantages in some of the non-CPU processing (GPU, DSP, ISP, VPS).

– I don’t recall the camera being discussed much or the fact that it has the same Sony camera chip as the Pixel 3. It surprised me that wasn’t mentioned.

– Game system emulators with physical keyboard apparently work really well on the Pro 1. :-)

– The show title went to the Pro 1, with “The Little Lappytop” :-)

I have some screenshots of the phone being shown on the show, plus one of the glare on the OnePlus 7 Pro, plus one final shot of the hosts and Adrian. However, the forum software only allows attachments of 12 KB or smaller! I can’t shrink them down that small and still have anything worth seeing. :-) If anyone has an idea of how to share them, let me know.

Before attachments were allowed here I uploaded pictures to my website and used the img tag to get them on the forum.

I figured out that the hidden max file size is 512 KB, not 12 KB, so I can upload the screenshots now after resizing them to 75% height and width (56.25% original size) and increasing PNG to maximum compression.

I figured out that the hidden max file size is 512 KB, not 12 KB, so I can upload the screenshots now after resizing them to 75% height and width (56.25% original size) and increasing PNG to maximum compression.

JPEG is far superior for compressing photos, PNG excels at things like line drawings and screenshots where there's big uniformly colored areas.

JPEG is far superior for compressing photos, PNG excels at things like line drawings and screenshots where there’s big uniformly colored areas.

I know, but with something like this where quality of the image was more important, I didn't want to use JPG. I did try it at one point, but the compression artifacts were pretty bad on the small keys of the keyboard, etc. I always use jpg for photos.

The interesting part starts at 37:15

Sorry for being inaccurate… ;-p

Upps, didn’t saw that, was to greedy to jump to the video. Could have saved me 37 minutes.

Sorry and thank you for posting the timestamp.

Ha ha, just teasing. Actually added the line a few minutes after the original post, so you might well have seen the original :)

Hi, I noticed that at about 37:53,

one of the developers says that one of the biggest inspiration comes from the Nokia E90. Later on, the same person says that they tried to replicate that hinge mechanism?

Doesn't he mean the Nokia E9 instead of the E90, or are my ears hearing wrong?

Edited by Nadsanm

What do you guys think?

Overall it makes a solid impression on me.

The feel of the keyboard seems to be really good, at least we got told so.

Negative Points for me are:

- A little bit slow in the change between portrait and landscape view (minor issue, may will be optimized software-wise).

- Camera seems to stand out a little bit (see picture).

- The back cover seems to save every fingerprint forever, it is already pretty greasy in the video (second image). But this could be a pure studio-lightning problem.

- I wasn't able to get a usable picture, but there seems to be a little gouge above the camera. It is also in the picture here (https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/what-do-you-think-of-the-latest-pro%c2%b9-back-case/) any idea what it could be? destroys the sleek look a little bit

Very cool.

I agree it looks quite slow switching between landscape portrait. And I know from experience with PQ I'll often be browsing something in portrait one-handed then get to a field I need to type something and thus slide out the keyboard, enter what I need, then switch back to portrait...

Would have been good to know about this in advance, they allow in-studio audience, and I live relatively close...

I agree it looks quite slow switching between landscape portrait

Remember this is still early, and software far from optimized.

BUT in android they got a delay on the autorotate, and only after this the delay it rotates. (Try any device with a decent app supporting landscape)