Fxtec Pro1 Sample Shots (Compare with HMD Nokia 8.1)

Real world sample shot of Fxtec Pro1 compared with Nokia 8.1, which has the same primary sensor of camera (Sony IMX363) and Nokia 8.1 has ZEISS certified.

All photos are uncropped, unfiltered.

Due to forum attachment size restriction, the pic shown here will be of a "screenshot", with the original file uploaded into the link following.

Please also note the camera software of Fxtec Pro1 is still WIP, there will be further improvements for the future. I will try to cover all the user circumstances, but some will come later.

First: Daylight, sunshine in a green

From Nokia 8.1:

[attachment file=20518]

Original Pic: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16CDV1KGIh5zPm8csxsK-t_dq0Q15457i

From Fxtec Pro1:

[attachment file=20519]

Original Pic: https://drive.google.com/open?id=124h7etRp8x-jl85K1yHyg3GRfM1cMGti

The first picture seems to be a little to bright, the second seems to be pretty good. In the third one the pro1 wins clearly.

It surely seems the camera is already good enough for me in this state.

It makes me optimistic that the camera is going to be pretty solid once it isn't WIP anymore.

But I am a pretty basic camera user, wouid love to hear the opinion of somebody who has actually an idea about what he is talking.

The pics are comparable. Can't say that FxTec is winner in all conditions - I prefer Nokia on third pic.

I like that pictures aren't over-sharpened as on Nokia, but I would prefer less saturation.

Also I think that more tweaks needed on brightness/contrast side.

We should wait for the final product, but even in current state, the quality is comparable with the big guys

P.S. Flood the twitter with #shotonfxtec after phone released?

Those are some great photos :). What I’d really like to know though is how close can the camera focus for macro(-ish) shots.

Flashed with the newest firmware, the pre-production unit (might be different from the real stuff), can do macros in Open Camera down to about 11.2x8.4cm, at about 9cm distance.

Thanks @waxberry. Is the work-in-progress for the camera happening in the camera app that F(x)tec is supplying with the phone, or with drivers, or with hardware?

Flashed with the newest firmware, the pre-production unit (might be different from the real stuff), can do macros in Open Camera down to about 11.2×8.4cm, at about 9cm distance.

Did the photo quality and macro capabilities change for you in Open Camera from one version of the firmware to the next?

Those are some great photos :). What I’d really like to know though is how close can the camera focus for macro(-ish) shots.

Flashed with the newest firmware, the pre-production unit (might be different from the real stuff), can do macros in Open Camera down to about 11.2×8.4cm, at about 9cm distance.

Well hey that's pretty good, better than all my phones before :).

Did the photo quality and macro capabilities change for you in Open Camera from one version of the firmware to the next?

Oh indeed, the first firmware I had was very early. I did not even attempt to do macro on that...

Well hey that’s pretty good, better than all my phones before :).

I tried my Samsung S8- and it goes down a bit further (something like 8x6).

BUT the limitation is NOT the optics! Trying a lot of times with a high contrast image, It can get sharp MUCH closer than the above. Something like 6.4x4.8 I guess.

It is clear on the display when the autofocus is hunting, that the optical focus limit is way lower than the 10cm the OpenCamera displays as the lowest limit for manual focus!! So it might be simply a matter of reporting a lower limit to the API - or could be a bug in OpenCamera???

With Snapdragon Camera app I can get about 8x6 images - just like the S8- can (Autofocous in Flower mode I do not think the app offers manual focus - did not find it)

Attached a reduced image with the centre from the original copied in

[attachment file=22812]

Well hey that’s pretty good, better than all my phones before :).

I tried my Samsung S8- and it goes down a bit further (something like 8×6).

BUT the limitation is NOT the optics! Trying a lot of times with a high contrast image, It can get sharp MUCH closer than the above. Something like 6.4×4.8 I guess.

It is clear on the display when the autofocus is hunting, that the optical focus limit is way lower than the 10cm the OpenCamera displays as the lowest limit for manual focus!! So it might be simply a matter of reporting a lower limit to the API – or could be a bug in OpenCamera???

With Snapdragon Camera app I can get about 8×6 images – just like the S8- can (Autofocous in Flower mode I do not think the app offers manual focus – did not find it)

Attached a reduced image with the centre from the original copied in

IMG_20190718_104632_Reduced<span class="image-overlay overlay-type-image"><span class="image-overlay-inside"></span></span>

That's awesome! I might be able to leave my compact camera at home when i get the pro1 :).

• 3 weeks later...
They have published a sample from the narcissistic camera too on twitter:

It was a great pleasure meeting
again over the weekend in
Here is the first selfie taken with
proto. ?

— Liangchen Chen (@chenliangchen)

<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

selfie, froscon

Also mirrored for the non-tweeters: http://www.matland.be/pro1shots/twitterselfie.jpg