I will now never take the notification LED for granted again after switching from a Blackberry (RGB notif LED) to a budget Samsung (no notif LED). Took me a while to actually get used to unlocking my phone to check things instead of just leaving it somewhere and glancing at it every so often.

I really appreciate this phone having an RGB LED.

• Like 4

I took the step to no LED as well by mistake. But I'm glad I did.
Most of the notifications we get aren't important, but we still give them our attention and time. Since I don't have an LED anymore (I later found out that I had a white one which was disabled by the system), I only use my phone when I really want to.
This was then extended by disabling sounds for most apps and contacts except for phone calls and messages from important people (partner, family and mechanic).

It's like the e-mail that will get answered once you have time for it and WANT to read (private) mails. Imagine e-mails constantly ringing until you finally ignore or answer them.

• Like 1

Android has changed in that more (most) apps do  notifications, but you have more control of what happens for those notifications...  ideally, you can specify that you only want sms/voicemail (for example) to flash the LED.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ichbinsinaction said:

I took the step to no LED as well by mistake. But I'm glad I did.

For me, I miss notification LED of my N900. A few months ago I have found there is a "flash" for front camera in my phone and found an application to use it for this purpose, but it is too bright and is only one colour.

I think RGB notification LED is a very good thing to have if you are able to set it to notify only about what you want in appropriate colour.
I mean it is much better to look at the phone and see if there was any calls or SMS rather than constantly wake up the phone to activate display - if you are waiting for a call or may others call you some time, then it makes life much simple.

When you don't need it, you may just turn the phone around and that case you don't use that LED. 🙂

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ichbinsinaction said:

Since I don't have an LED anymore (I later found out that I had a white one which was disabled by the system), I only use my phone when I really want to.

For me it ended up being the opposite. I would usually just leave my phone on the charger when I woke up and only pick it up when I saw either a text or call color flashing (I always have email notifications turned off). Ever since I lost the LED, though, I could no longer just leave it on the charger and glance over at it to see if I had a notification. I have to check it by at least turning on the screen. Made me really notice how little attention I used to give my phone.

And then there are the times where I completely forget to check anyways and miss something that was time sensitive because even though my phone was sitting in front of me, I didn't actually pick it up until an hour later.

I totally understand not wanting to worry about a light flashing at you to get your attention every 5 minutes, though. However, the whole point of a phone to me is timely communication, and omitting things that hamper that seems counter-productive to me.

...Although I'm now realizing I leave my phone on silent half the time simply because I forget to turn my ringer back on after class or whatever other reason I put it on silent in the first place, so I'll just accept that I'm a huge hypocrite who only wants a LED so I can not be punished for lazily leaving my phone around the place. 😄

I am sorry then. I always found the blinking irritating, as well as I do with charging adapters that blink or shine too bright. I always burn those LEDs out whenever it's possible.

Your points make sense and I didn't know that you were able to disable them (except in the rom itself), glad this was implemented.

Btw SirBacon: You might not now about automatic rules for silent modes. Or is your phone too old to have that? I think it was implemented with Android 6.

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Couldn't you turn notifications off in older android as well can't remember now :S ?

Pretty sure you've always been able to turn them off notifications completely.  What seemed to change in later Android was the ability to control notifcations per app, not only disable per app, but set to notify quietly, etc.   So you can still have email in your notification list, but not beep at you every time an email comes thru, etc.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, ichbinsinaction said:

Btw SirBacon: You might not now about automatic rules for silent modes. Or is your phone too old to have that? I think it was implemented with Android 6

The funny thing is I do actually have do not disturb set to go on from about 23:00 to 8:45. That somewhat falls around my sleep schedule. The issue is (as far as I know) you can only set one DnD time, and I'd much rather have that be on while I'm sleeping then while I'm at school.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SirBaconIII said:

The funny thing is I do actually have do not disturb set to go on from about 23:00 to 8:45. That somewhat falls around my sleep schedule. The issue is (as far as I know) you can only set one DnD time, and I'd much rather have that be on while I'm sleeping then while I'm at school.

Can you really not set more rules? In my device you can set as many rules as you want...
(LineageOS)

• Thanks 2