How does the physical camera button operate?

Rather than dilute the bugs thread (Camera button discussion in bugs thread), I figured I'd start a new topic.  Not having received my Pro1 yet, I am hoping someone can explain how it currently functions in different scenarios for myself and others.  Like the physical keyboard, the physical camera button is something somewhat unique to the Pro1.

1)  With the phone screen off, but no screen lock enabled, when the button is pressed, what happens?  (For instance, does it open the default camera app and take a picture?  Does it just open the default camera app, but you have to press it again to take the picture?  Does it allow access to the gallery of photos (either those just taken or those taken in the past)?)

2)  With the phone screen off, but with screen lock enabled, when the button is pressed what happens?

3)  With the phone screen on, either at the home screen or in another app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

4)  When in the default camera app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

5)  When in another camera app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

6)  When the phone is powered off, when the button is pressed, what happens?

7)  Can the camera button be assigned to open other camera apps or other non-camera apps? 

(8)  Can the camera function be adjusted at all (not just assignment) through some settings in the phone?

9)  Do you find yourself using the physical button to take pictures or just to launch the camera app quickly (and then using the virtual button to take the pictures)?  You might do this to reduce camera movement, for instance.

10)  Would you like to change anything about how the camera button currently operates?

Feel free to add other situations if I am missing something.

Edited by david

I don't have Pro1 (yet) but I have Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact running Android 9.0 Pie with physical camera button. I believe that the action of the button is pretty much the same (on the Android level) but of course the camera app itself might be working differently.

1)  With the phone screen off, but no screen lock enabled, when the button is pressed, what happens?

- I am too lazy to test since I would have to delete fingerprint from the phone...

2)  With the phone screen off, but with screen lock enabled, when the button is pressed what happens?

- Single press: nothing happens

- Long press: Camera app opens. By default If I want to take picture I have to press camera button again. However, there is a setting in the camera app so that I can take a picture simultaneously when I open the app (with same press).  I can not see previous photos but I can see the photos that I am going to take at that moment. If I want to share that picture I need to unlock phone (I can see the share icon but if I press it the lock screen will pop up).

3)  With the phone screen on, either at the home screen or in another app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

- Single press: nothing happens

- Long press: Camera app opens. I can see previous photos and camera app is working "normally"

4)  When in the default camera app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

- Single press: First focus and then the phone will take a picture. The button is actually two-step: focus and shoot.

5)  When in another camera app, when the button is pressed, what happens?

- Same thing than with the default camera app (at least with apps that I have tested)

6)  When the phone is powered off, when the button is pressed, what happens?

- Nothing happens

7)  Can the camera button be assigned to open other camera apps or other non-camera apps? 

- Not from the settings but check the next question

(8)  Can the camera function be adjusted at all (not just assignment) through some settings in the phone?

- I can use Button Mapper to remap it (Pro Feature, not free)

9)  Do you find yourself using the physical button to take pictures or just to launch the camera app quickly (and then using the virtual button to take the pictures)?  You might do this to reduce camera movement, for instance.

- I use the camera button to open the app and to take pictures. However, sometimes I might use software button also.

10)  Would you like to change anything about how the camera button currently operates?

- A setting to select default camera app to open the camera via camera button

I hope that you find this post useful 😊.

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I do have my Pro 1, so these answers are for it.

1) Same as above, I don't want to remove the fingerprints, etc. I assume it's the same as the next case.

2) short press: nothing

long press: opens the camera app. Does not take a picture. Does not allow access to any pictures, whether those taken in the current session or a previous session.

I have not found any way to customize which app opens when you press the camera button.

3) (long press) launches the camera. No access to earlier photos.

4) it's a multi-stage button. half-press: focuses. full press: takes a picture. These aren't easy to tell by feel. The button is mushy rather than being distinct levels.

5) launches the default camera app

6) Fully powered off? nothing happens. Only the power button turns on the phone.

7) Not that I know of... would like to be able to, though

(8) Not that I know of

9) So far, I've mostly used the on-screen button, but that might be habit. The physical button is a bit mushy, as I said before. My preference may change over time.

10) Like you, I'd like it to be customizable, and I'd really prefer the physical button to be more clicky, with two distinct stages, and less mushy.

Edited by zurvan2
Stupid emoji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1).  I removed fingerprints and lock screens.  Still no thumbnail to gallery.

Most everything else should be the same as Zurvan, however I had only launched the camera using the camera button, never the app icon, until I discovered yesterday that using the icon gets me the link to gallery.

I'm used to dedicated photo button from PQ and every camera I've ever used in my life, in fact I'd always thought pushing the screen to take photo was bad idea cuz I jiggle camera that way.  I haven't taken enough photos to judge the button, but it is indeed mushy.  Also, no shutter sound (even when turned on in settings) and no thumbnail appearing (until I discovered to use the icon) and no feedback from button made it very difficult to know when a photo was actually getting taken.

addendum:

I tried Pixel gcam port.  Seems to work fine and has shutter sound (not by default, but when enabled).  However, the camera button doesn't take photos.  And longpress leads to snapdragon camera.   Perhaps another gcam port will work.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, ddark-il said:

The camera app looks different with locked bootloader, and you also got the shutter sound.

Can you provide screenshots of the differences?

Interesting that the shutter sound is tied to the bootloader.  But if the app itself is different, for some reason, then maybe just one version of it has the sound code.

17 minutes ago, ddark-il said:

Yes, as far as I remember, the "unlocked" app looks totally different. There is also different design for mode selection.

Interesting comparing what you posted to what Craig posted.  Could you post the app info so we can see the version?

17 minutes ago, Craig said:

This is my settings in stock snapdragon camera version 2.0.002 (with bootloader unlocked as stock):

Thanks for posting the app info.  So odd that they are different.  Unless you are at different OTA levels?

Btw, you missed a call. 😉

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...