Looks like there is no default email app outside gmail on pro one.

Huawei P30 Pro does have a really good email app for instance. Though I've had the same problem on that LG G8X ThinQ, no standard email app there either.

I'm usually using that default email app to sync contacts, calendars and email from a private Microsoft Exchange server. I do have a gmail account but I'm not using it.

Is there no stock email app on Android anymore?

I think it is GREAT that they kept the Pro1 as close to stock as possible, and let the user choose, rather than infecting it with all kind of stuff we might or might not like.

There are tonnes of mail-apps available, that works more or less good in landscape with a keyboard.

I use K9

• Like 3

Right, I'm with you on that no bloat-ware stance. However, I'm pretty sure not so long ago stock Android had a default app that's not gmail doing email, contact and calendar sync.

Edited by Slion
19 minutes ago, Slion said:

Right, I'm with you on that no bloat-ware stance. However, I'm pretty sure not so long ago stock Android had a default app that's not gmail doing email, contact and calendar sync.

Ah I see. I do not know anything on that. Hopefully someone else knows?

Yep, there was one ages ago, but google have destructive politics for android that's why I don't like it. 

Normally Android is an open source OS, but google takes code, makes changes to apps and closes modified apps. Most of the open source stock android apps remembers time of 2.3.7. Also mail app. 

That's the reason why manufacturers have its own apps - stock open source ones are very outdated and new ones written by google are closed source.

Edited by 3zet
  • Thanks 2

I guess I'll have to give gmail a try then. Hoping it supports proper sync and remote wipe with my exchange server.

I tried Microsoft Outlook on my LG the other day but it does not support two way syncs stupidly enough.

Edited by Slion
57 minutes ago, 3zet said:

Try ProfiMail - I'm using it since Symbian phones. 

I tried it years ago when first switching to Android. Was not convinced back then.
Thanks for the reminder though, I will give it a try.

I have no idea what "remote wipe" in e-mail is, but on mobile I've just migrated from K-9 mail, which used to be something like a halfway viable compromise for me so far, to FairEmail (a recommendation I got in these forums). Reason: FairEmail not only supports PGP/GPG encryption (something that I increasingly feel to be a good idea in these times of every company and every state trying to spy on everyone regardless of where someone is situated), but also multiple identities per mail account with different SMTP server settings (just like Thunderbird does for ages). It's the only Android e-mail app I know that does both.  

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like gmail does support provisioning and remote wipe as per ms exchange specs. I have yet to try it out but gmail mentioned it was on once it connected to my account.

Remote wipe is the ability to wipe your phone clean remotely. Useful if it gets lost or stolen.

Shame there is no dark mode in gmail on Pro1 right now.

14 hours ago, Slion said:

Sgroogle quickly realized that doing so was counterproductive to their consumer-as-the-product business model, where stealing your data is the name of the game, and the vanilla program went away in favor of the GspyMail version.

My original Droid has it. I have it as a novelty alarm clock at this point, but it's occasionally a useful reminder of what Android was in 2008/9.

Edited by silversolver
  • Like 2