Quieting down the clack?

Finally got my Pro1, and so far it seems to be everything I wanted.

One thing though, it certainly does clack. When opening using just your thumbs it can be so loud you can hear it in another room. A bit TOO clacky...

Apart from using your hands to physically slow it down (defeating the purpose of using it handheld) can anyone suggest a way to quieten the opening clack? Perhaps felt or foam stuck in certain locations?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It already 'lands' on some rubber bumpers, I would suggest to open it with your index finger on (or catching) the back edge when you push with your thumb.

OR use gravity(!). See this

Not spotted them will have to look later to see if I can improve, it is a bit vicious at the moment.

3 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Not spotted them will have to look later to see if I can improve, it is a bit vicious at the moment.

Should be easy to spot opened, At the bottom part where the screen sits, about 3cm from the sides.

IMG_20200129_142553~01.jpg

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Should be easy to spot opened, At the bottom part where the screen sits, about 3cm from the sides.

...Just took a look at mine and noticed that mine differs from yours - the pad in the photo is missing! It only had the left hand side pad.

I guess thats one place I'll have to start with adding padding.

I wonder if I can get spare pads from FxTec...

Edited by lameboyadvance
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

...Just took a look at mine and noticed that mine differs from yours - the pad in the photo is missing! It only had the left hand side pad.

I guess thats one place I'll have to start with adding padding.

I wonder if I can get spare pads from FxTec...

I'm just imagining how loud it would be if it was missing!

But even with them there, it's still a pretty loud clack imo.

Edit: This is in many ways my smallest concern with the phone. Just an observation 🙂

Edited by Serolfic
  • Thanks 1

Opening with no clack is pretty easy on mine.  Instead of stating from the front, I lift the back slightly and just push up with my thumb, guiding the screen into place rather than just letting it fly. It also requires the back fingers to slide down the back of the screen as you open it.  A little slower, but easy to do if you need to open it quietly.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

Opening with no clack is pretty easy on mine.  Instead of stating from the front, I lift the back slightly and just push up with my thumb, guiding the screen into place rather than just letting it fly. It also requires the back fingers to slide down the back of the screen as you open it.  A little slower, but easy to do if you need to open it quietly.

This sounds hard to do one handed, or am I missing something? (Two handed there are multiple options for dampening).

EDIT: Ignore comment, it is opening from portrait.

• lameboyadvance changed the title to Quieting down the clack?
  • 1 month later...

Here an example with some allegedly 0.5mm thin rubber strips from here suitably cut

I placed two 'long' strips (5x65mm) at each end, and two minor pieces, one next to the space bar under the screen (3x17mm), and one on the opposite long edge side (7x17mm).

IMG_20200311_173331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 1/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, EskeRahn said:

This sounds hard to do one handed, or am I missing something? (Two handed there are multiple options for dampening).

EDIT: Ignore comment, it is opening from portrait.

Just to point out, my method works for opening either in portrait or landscape.  I do both.  And it works fine one-handed.