You got Magisk installed? Awesome! But wait, there is more! 🙂

This thread is meant for the exchange of everyone's experience with Riru and Xposed modules running with EdXposed.

The installation is pretty simple: 1) In Magisk, install "Riru - Core", reboot, 2) install "Riru - EdXposed" (SandHook), reboot, 3) install "EdXposed Manager" (github.com/ElderDrivers/EdXposedManager/releases).

Once everything is set up, install Xposed modules like crazy ... and prepare yourself for a hell of crashes and boot halts 🥰. Since we do not have TWRP with data decryption yet, you have to be prepared for those boot halts. Therefore, install only one Xposed module at a time, reboot and check if everything is working. If Android does not boot, you can fix your phone using two methods:

Recovering from a boot halt - Method 1

The most obvious way to get around a boot hang is to 1) flash the original boot.img, 2) boot into the UI and uninstall the Xposed module causing the boot halt, and 3) flash "magisk_patched.img" and re-install Magisk from within the Magisk Manager ("Direct install"). SU might stop working if you forget to re-install Magisk (not the Magisk Manager).

The only possible downside is that Magisk and Xposed modules, like XPrivacyLUA, will be inactive during step 2). However, potential privacy/usability issues are less painful than not being able too boot up Android 😁.

Recovering from a boot halt - Method 2

If you do not want to disable Magisk and Xposed, flashing the "magisk_patched.img" may make Android boot into the UI ... and give you 10 to 20 seconds before crashing. As a precaution, before you install Xposed modules, 1) remove PIN/password log-on and 2) place a shortcut to the EdXposed Manager and Magisk Manager onto a convenient spot on your desktop. For both managers, you can place a link directly to the Modules tab (at least with Nova launcher).

If things go well, you have 10 to 20 seconds to open the EdXposed Manager and disable the module causing the boot process to fail. If the boot process gets stuck again, even though you flashed  "magisk_patched.img", you might succeed by flashing the "magisk_patched.img" several times before rebooting. Even removing the SIM or SD-card may make Android boot up.

If/when you succeed to disable the Xposed module that blocks the boot process, you have to re-install Magisk from within the Magisk Manager ("Direct install"). Otherwise, SU might stop working for you.

Here are Xposed modules that prevent your Pro1 from booting into Pie:

MyAndroidToolsXposed (surely)

DisableFlagSecure (probably)

Screenshot Delay Remover - Mod (probably)

Working fine are:

GravityBox

XPrivacyLUA

AFWall+

Scoop

App Locale 2

InstallerOpt (doesn't crash but doesn't seem to work either)

FakeGApps

• Thanks 6

Is it possible to edit my original posting?

The most obvious way to get around a boot hang is: 1) flash the original boot.img, 2) boot into the UI and uninstall the Xposed module causing the boot halt, and 3) flash "magisk_patched.img" and re-installing Magisk from within the Magisk Manager ("direct install").

This method is so obvious that I did not even think about it before now 🙂 The only possible downside is that Magisk and Xposed modules, like XPrivacyLUA, will be inactive during step 2). However, potential privacy/usability issues are less painful than not being able too boot up Android 😁.

Could please somebody confirm fingerprint sensor running well with magisk/xposed? For some time I lose fingerprint data after every reboot and I suspect it might have something to do with magisk/xposed. Does anyone else have similar issues? Thanks.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, spam71 said:

Could please somebody confirm fingerprint sensor running well with magisk/xposed? For some time I lose fingerprint data after every reboot and I suspect it might have something to do with magisk/xposed. Does anyone else have similar issues? Thanks.

I see this on a Pro1 too. Pure stock, no rooting or the like.

• Thanks 1

One thing I noticed when trying to get my Pro1 to boot again was that removing the SIM and/or SD-card helped. Even MyAndroidToolsXposed worked when I booted without a SIM, and it continued to work when I inserted the SIM while Android was still running. I cannot imagine why the SIM or SD-card would matter, but they do ...

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Did anyone here update Riru EdXposed to "0.4.6.1 (4510) SandHook" already? The thought of updating and getting stuck in a boot halt terrifies me ... but my OCD wants to klick the download button in Magisk manager 🙂

I have updated and it's working without any issue. 🙂

• Thanks 3

I found that Magisk + Riru's EdXposed doesn't pass SafetyNet check - so some apps (ie nfc in my banking app) don't work.

In contrary, TaiChi exposed passes SafetyNet. A downside is that there are only a few xposed modules versions running with TaiChi - but for example GravityBox is running well. And in their web page almost everything is in Chinese. 😉

TaiChi is closed source, unfortunately. Although Riru is opensource, I have an icky feeling using it. But TaiChi is something I would not even consider installing on my phone 😉

SafetyNet and other root detection methods in e.g. banking apps are a nuisance. In your case, I'd rather do without NFC than have TaiChi on my phone. Sometimes you can be lucky with an old version of an app. I am using an old version of a "photo TAN" app successfully 🙂 If/when it stops working some time in the future, I will simply tell my bank "f*** you!" ...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Alright, I just updated to Riru Core v20.1 and Magisk v21.4 without any problems. I had the impression that the reboot after the Magisk update took longer than usual and I was actually afraid the Pro1 got stuck in the boot process again. Thankfully it was just a little hiccup :-)

• Thanks 1

Are you familiar with the Xposed framework? Xposed is not available for Android Pie or later. But with Riru Core installed, you can run EdXposed, which in turn can run (some) Xposed modules. Before Google broke SafetyNet for Magisk, it was actually Xposed that triggered SafetyNet. In a way, (Ed)Xposed is not the solution but the problem :classic_biggrin:

However, there is ... was? ... a complicated way to pass SafetyNet with Riru Core and EdXposed:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/xposed-discussion-thread-t3992607

Having read some of the above XDA thread, I am glad that I don't need to pass SafetyNet for any of my apps :classic_cool:

Also: Riru Core v21.0 is working too, without screwing up the boot process ...

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Thanks 1

i have a Xiaomi MI9se, after install Magisk 20.4, Riru Core 19.8 all fine.
But when i activate Riru Edxposed (ive tried Sandhook and YAHFA) the fingerprint sensor stops working. If i deactivate Riru edxposed it works again. With Riru Edxposed activated the circle behind the fingerprint sensor becomes white instead green. I think this is preventing the sensor to detect the fingerprint.
Any idea?

After reading again i updated to Riru - Core 21.1 and Riru EdXposed 0.4.6.2 (sandhook) and the issue persists

Edited by abentle
  • 7 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 2:55 AM, spam71 said:

Works on HTC U11 running Resurrection Remix (Android 9) with both Magisk and EdExposed and a half dozen mods activated from each.