I've just spent a whole day with the Pro1, and overall, I love the device. Here are some of my thoughts and issues.

It's a thicc boi! But I'm ok with that because it feels really solid in hand.

Keyboard opening clack is so satisfactory.

Holding Shift + alphabet keys on the physical kb doesn't capitalise. I have to toggle Caps Lock on/off for capitalisation which is slower and inconvenient.

Key modifiers really need to be sticky.

I'm using the Swype + Dragon virtual keyboard which doesn't seem to play nice with the physical keyboard open. If I tap to focus in a text input field with the physical kb open, it shows the virtual kb. Typing on the physical kb hides the virtual kb. Software issue that can be fixed, so it's a minor annoyance.

Software is rather unfinished in parts. Some settings areas with uneven spacing, some list items with no padding at all, update process doesn't prompt you to do anything when it reaches 100%, and some other stuff like that. Again, not a dealbreaker as these can be fixed over time.

The fingerprint scanner placement is the absolute worst for right handed usage. I thought the initial complaints were exaggerated, but nope! Most of the time, the palm of my right hand has reached the max failed attempts of unlocking by fingerprint before I'm even ready to do so.

There was some looseness at the top left area (bottom left in landscape mode with physical kb open) where the earpiece is. When it's loose, there is no audio from phone calls (except over bluetooth / headset / speakerphone). I fixed it by pressing on it to snap it into place, but it still gets loose if I open the physical keyboard too hard. My workaround right now is to use some finesse while opening the keyboard, but I would much rather prefer a permanent fix for this. This is probably the only disappointing thing for me as I expected better from a $650+ device.

Edited by akinwale
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The work around for the fingerprint seems to be to register those parts of your palm that usually trigger the reader in error.
I did the following, activate FP registration and do those task that trigger the reader.
Like lay it on the table and pick it up and lay it down until this action is registered as FP1.
Then move to FP2 and eg pull the pro¹ from your pocket multiple times until FP2 is registered.
I did this with 5 actions and the result was the pro¹ unlocked as soon as i picked it up.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MvBoe said:

What about this problem (link) on your device (screen becoming green on low brightness)?

My friend did not even notice it until I have asked him about it - since then he does...

Anyway, he has even repaired CRT televisions earlier and he was able to set colour temperature correctly even without additional instruments, so he can look at it with his own "calibration glasses" (-:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 1:12 PM, VaZso said:

My friend did not even notice it until I have asked him about it - since then he does...

Anyway, he has even repaired CRT televisions earlier and he was able to set colour temperature correctly even without additional instruments, so he can look at it with his own "calibration glasses" (-:

Yeah does seem like a colour profile issue

On 2/22/2020 at 2:26 AM, akinwale said:

There was some looseness at the top left area (bottom left in landscape mode with physical kb open) where the earpiece is. When it's loose, there is no audio from phone calls (except over bluetooth / headset / speakerphone). I fixed it by pressing on it to snap it into place, but it still gets loose if I open the physical keyboard too hard. My workaround right now is to use some finesse while opening the keyboard, but I would much rather prefer a permanent fix for this. This is probably the only disappointing thing for me as I expected better from a $650+ device

That's bad, I would contact support and get it fixed or replaced. 🤔

• 2 months later...

Got my phone today. First of all it was in chinese when i started it. Luckily i have a old redmi lying around with LOS so i managed to navigate trough the setting to change the language. Still some app names in chinese...

Doesn't new phones come with a thick display protection cover from the factory that you should remove when you receive it? All new phones i have bought did. And it says it has been fully charged 152 days ago(!)

Did i get a used phone?

Why does my pro1 only show 16gb of storage? 9gb free storage....

Does the camera button give any feed back? I can't feel anything with my finger when i push it, but the camera app pops-up anyway.

Just had time to play with it for a half an hour...

Edited by Breeze
7 hours ago, Breeze said:

Got my phone today. First of all it was in chinese when i started it. Luckily i have a old redmi lying around with LOS so i managed to navigate trough the setting to change the language. Still some app names in chinese...

Doesn't new phones come with a thick display protection cover from the factory that you should remove when you receive it? All new phones i have bought did. And it says it has been fully charged 152 days ago(!)

Did i get a used phone?

Why does my pro1 only show 16gb of storage? 9gb free storage....

Does the camera button give any feed back? I can't feel anything with my finger when i push it, but the camera app pops-up anyway.

Just had time to play with it for a half an hour...

Hmm guessing here. The 152 could well be that the phone was almost finished before the Corona mess, and then only got the final parts later, e.g. the keyboard (assuming that stuff are charged and tested before being finalised, to catch bad parts as soon as possible in the assembly)

On the 16GB try a factory reset - yes sounds silly, but after initial flashing it used to display way too low until a factory reset. Obviously you ought not to need doing that on a freshly delivered device though - so rather odd.

And no haptic feedback on the camera-button to my knowledge

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Breeze said:

Now it looks better with a factory reset. No more chinese app names and got my 128gb😃

So still maybe a used phone with little scratches on the display.

Glad things are now working as they are supposed to 😁. You will need to contact support on any scratches 😥

45 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Those are minor. I'm just happy that i finally got my phone. But i tought new phones are shipped with a display protection that you remove when you start to use it.

Mine came in a protective 'bag' in the box, not with a protective foil over the display.. See my unpack images here https://eskerahn.dk/?p=3651

• Thanks 1