Jump to content

Certain keys not working initially? [fixed bug in old ROM]


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, david said:

UPDATE:  The phone doesn't even have to enter any sort of deep sleep.  If I turn off the display and turn it back on, that's enough to do it.  So whereas others were reporting it happening when opening the keyboard, in my case, if the screen is on and I open the keyboard, I'm fine.  *IF* the keys were fine the last time I closed the keyboard and *if* the screen hasn't gone off in the meantime.

What if something holds a wakelock? For example music player that keeps going on lockscreen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they pulled my version of the keyboard driver, the issue should be well and truely gone along with randomly missing keys and now multiple simultaneous keys should work too 🙂

This issue appears to be resolved with the newest OTA.

It's a known bug in the keyboard driver. Certain keys are "dead" at reboot until you press any other key. I have not heard whether there are plans for a fix soon. But it's already fixed in Lineage.

1 minute ago, netman said:

Sending keypresses artificially won't do the trick, the keyboard driver needs to receive an interrupt from the keyboard chip for the issue to go away (the part of the driver that handles actual keypresses will initialize the chip properly once it's done handling the keypress).

Darn...

Okay, so we just need a little robotic spider that sits under the screen and every time the screen is turned on, he runs out and taps the Sym key. 🙂 

Or.....we can hypnotize every Pro1 owner so that they tap the Sym key every time when they first start using the keyboard.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, david said:

Or.....we can hypnotize every Pro1 owner so that they tap the Sym key every time when they first start using the keyboard.

I am mostly hoping for OTA soon so that people don't grow any weird habits by the time it comes :D.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, netman said:

What if something holds a wakelock? For example music player that keeps going on lockscreen.

If you point me in the direction of a player and how to configure it to play when the screen is locked, I can test that.

Are you suggesting that there is a way to hold a wakelock through some automation?  Will that keep the phone from going to sleep?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, netman said:

I am mostly hoping for OTA soon so that people don't grow any weird habits by the time it comes :D.

They already are.  They are hitting Y/H repeatedly until they remember that they have to hit another key first.  Worst than that, in my case, I'm typing too fast and the multiple-simultaneous-keypresses bug is getting me and I'm having to go back and hit keys repeatedly, which is causing my brain to think that I need to hit the keys harder in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, david said:

If you point me in the direction of a player and how to configure it to play when the screen is locked, I can test that.

Are you suggesting that there is a way to hold a wakelock through some automation?  Will that keep the phone from going to sleep?

I tried this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl&hl=en_US

The app was made for an older version of android, so that might be why, but I couldn't get it to stop the behavior when I hit the power button to turn off the screen and turn it back on again.

I found a newer version if this app and it behaved the same way.

Edited by david
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, david said:

So maybe it is just the act of the screen going off, not anything to do with wakelocks or power saving modes.

That'd make the fact it behaves differently for different people quite odd, unless different firmare versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, netman said:

The google music thing that comes on the phone will do it if you give it an mp3 i believe. There are apps that will hold a wakelock by keeping a notification open like termux if you tell it to.

I ran termux and ran the command termux-wake-lock.  It asked permission to do its thing and I gave it permission.  Didn't solve the problem.  I'm guessing that if the screen goes off by itself, some of these things might work, but by me pressing the power button, it might be overriding these things.  Alternately, it is just about the screen going off, or something related to that other than wakelocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, netman said:

 Hmm so far I am more convinced different firmware versions could be the difference, but not very sure...

Let's put it this way.  I *thought* that mine was behaving differently than other people's phones.  That's because I was not seeing the problem when I was opening and closing my keyboard.  But what I was missing is that my screen wasn't shutting off in the middle of testing.  When my screen shuts off (whether by itself or with me tapping the power button), then the problem happens.

I'm postulating that other people have their screen go off when they are in closed keyboard mode at some point.  They then open their phones and wake up the screen and go to type something and it doesn't work and it is being attributed to the keyboard being closed and then opened.

Android does always go through some sort of state change where applications have to be redrawn, I believe, every time the keyboards are opened and closed on keyboard phones.  I don't know what all is going on under the covers, but I know *some* things in an app get reset when this transition happens.  For instance, when I'm in chrome, typing in this forum, and if I accidentally close the keyboard, then I lose my text, because the browser is reloaded or refreshed somehow.  

*Maybe* there is some setting in the system somewhere that causes a momentary screen off event for this transition and I don't have that set and other people do.  I don't know.

One of the people who reported it happening with the keyboard being closed and opened would need to test if it happens every time they do that or if it happens only when the screen also goes off in the middle of those actions (meaning truly going off, not the invisible thing I mentioned above).

I used to have my phone set to a 1 minute screen off.  That got annoying and the battery life is so good, that I reset it to 5 minutes.  This means I encountered the problem a lot less than other people who have their screen off set to 1 minute or who turn off their screens often.  I spend a lot of my time during the day sitting at a computer, with my phone next to me, and often with the screen on, since I'm using it every few minutes.  That reduced the chances for me to see the issue happen.

It could also be typing habits.  I might not start my messages to others with H or Y or B very often, so that may have reduced me seeing the issue.

I'm still in favor of the robotic spider.  I think that would be a cool little add-on to the Pro1.  He could assist people in opening the keyboard too, since some people have more difficulty with that. 😉

Alternatively, we could have a miniature Homer Chicken, but that doesn't seem as cool.

tumblr_owqv4ugFcv1uzae1ko1_500.gifv

Edited by david
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, netman said:

There will be 8 keys to find.

It happens because a register in the keyboard chip gets initialized incorrectly, I don't know exactly when android decides to re-initialize, but it does not care whether the keyboard is retracted or not. It'll depend on what apps are running, time of sleeping, and some mystery factors that I won't even try guessing at.

I don't think the modifier keys can wake it, but not 100% confident, I solved the issue for myself so can't test xD. Sending keypresses artificially won't do the trick, the keyboard driver needs to receive an interrupt from the keyboard chip for the issue to go away (the part of the driver that handles actual keypresses will initialize the chip properly once it's done handling the keypress).

The modifiers can unfortunately NOT wake, but on the other hand it is not limited to character keys. The other arrows, BS and Del works, and they can be handy.

I have in vain searched for the eight key, It MIGHT by Sym as we do not see that do anything normally?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The modifiers can unfortunately NOT wake, but on the other hand it is not limited to character keys. The other arrows, BS and Del works, and they can be handy.

I have in vain searched for the eight key, It MIGHT by Sym as we do not see that do anything normally?

I think that it cannot be SYM since if I press SYM first then I am able to get respond from others non working keys (7 for example). Maybe it is one of the space bar switches? I don't know if am able to hit only one of them so I cannot test it. I tested every other keys earlier and they are working.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

I think that it cannot be SYM since if I press SYM first then I am able to get respond from others non working keys (7 for example). Maybe it is one of the space bar switches? I don't know if am able to hit only one of them so I cannot test it. I tested every other keys earlier and they are working.

I tried all thinkable keys too. There are 68 clicks in the mat, three for the space, but I can not imagine that those should be handled independently. I have tried clicking the ends in the spacebar though.

BTW Found out that Caps clears the state too, and two clicks on Caps should be totally innocent everywhere.... 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I tried all thinkable keys too. There are 68 clicks in the mat, three for the space, but I can not imagine that those should be handled independently. I have tried clicking the ends in the spacebar though.

BTW Found out that Caps clears the state too, and two clicks on Caps should be totally innocent everywhere.... 😉

That's a great idea. 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, david said:

Let's put it this way.  I *thought* that mine was behaving differently than other people's phones.  That's because I was not seeing the problem when I was opening and closing my keyboard.  But what I was missing is that my screen wasn't shutting off in the middle of testing.  When my screen shuts off (whether by itself or with me tapping the power button), then the problem happens.

I did have the impression before that some people only get it at boot whereas others get it at every unlock. Not sure if that is the reality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, netman said:

I did have the impression before that some people only get it at boot whereas others get it at every unlock. Not sure if that is the reality.

I thought I only got it at boot.  In reality, I get it at boot and any other time the screen goes off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cerialphreak said:

This issue appears to be resolved with the newest OTA.

they pulled my version of the keyboard driver, the issue should be well and truely gone along with randomly missing keys and now multiple simultaneous keys should work too 🙂

  • Thanks 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 6:26 PM, netman said:

they pulled my version of the keyboard driver, the issue should be well and truely gone along with randomly missing keys and now multiple simultaneous keys should work too 🙂

Is there any place where I can find your keyboard driver and install it manualy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Laska said:

Is there any place where I can find your keyboard driver and install it manualy?

If you aren't afraid of factory resets due to AVB you can use the boot+vendor with kernel that i built (because be warned it's not signed so installing it will require factory reset), instructions in readme included.  https://matland.be/pro1/kernel.zip A better way would be if we can get someone to extract a boot.img from the newest OTA so that you get a signed one and don't need the factory reset. Anyone willing and able?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms