Quick Charge 3 vs Power Delivery

Does the Pro1 actually supports PD charging? I tried plugging my work MacBook's 87W charger, seems to charge at the same speed as my QC 3.0 charger, so I'm assuming it's actually stepping up beyond 5V. 

I was under the impression that QC 3.0 devices are out of spec and won't every be PD certified.

I know batteries are evolving, however I'm wondering if charging regularly at more than 1C (faster than one hour or more than 3.2A on 4.2V for the pro1) is still reducing the overall battery lifetime.

Personally I try to not let discharged less than 20% and plug a 2A 5V charger. But I agree, in some situations a quick charge totally make sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We somewhere  got confirmed that it does NOT support PD.

And as @Muth said you should take care and only use high power charging when you really need it, as it shortens the overall life-span of the battery.

It is quite like junk-food: Very convenient, single usages are not problematic, but general usage will reduce life-span. See other threads on the subject or e.g. this.

• Like 2

I've been using my Priv pretty much exclusively with wireless and quick charging, but I haven't seen a crazy wear on the battery. Granted, I did replace the battery once in the final year, but the SoC played a bigger role in its poor life. Now with the S835 I'm not even charging that often, so I'm not too concerned about the charging killing the battery.

If QC is really that bad, then manufacturers (FXtec included) won't be including the charger out of the box.

Edited by ToniCipriani
44 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

(...) If QC is really that bad, then manufacturers (FXtec included) won't be including the charger out of the box.

Or they deliberately include it so that you have to buy a new smartphone shortly after the warranty period. 😉

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

I've been using my Priv pretty much exclusively with wireless and quick charging, but I haven't seen a crazy wear on the battery. Granted, I did replace the battery once in the final year, but the SoC played a bigger role in its poor life. Now with the S835 I'm not even charging that often, so I'm not too concerned about the charging killing the battery.

If QC is really that bad, then manufacturers (FXtec included) won't be including the charger out of the box.

How this should relate to Quality Control I do not get.

But that apart, the so called poor stamina of the Priv is really a myth based on the usage - for me a single charge can last a week of light usage. Original battery. See e.g. this

On 7/1/2020 at 5:44 PM, ToniCipriani said:

The notion that manufacturers would be interested in a long life of their products is, unfortunately, a misunderstanding 😉 

On 7/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, EskeRahn said:

How this should relate to Quality Control I do not get

That's probably because he meant Quick Charge, not Quality Control 🙂 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

That's probably because he meant Quick Charge, not Quality Control 🙂 

Ah of course, silly me. Well the price is almost the same, and people in general do not know that quick charging is a dubious thing, so they expects it for the convenience of it.

You could say that phones today really should not come with a charger at all, as most people got stacks of them already... But IF a charger is supplied, it would be great if it offered fast as well as slow, so the user can choose between battery life and convenience.

The battery can be replaced on the Pro1 but it is certainly a lot more than a click of a backplate away, so not something every user can do themselves.

According to a few years old study, fast charging can degrade battery performance quickly if the charging current is higher than 1.0C.

...Consequently, users are increasingly relying on a number of Fast charging techniques from Qualcomm (Quick [9]) and Samsung (Fast). Nevertheless, the quality of charging plays an important role in the longevity of smartphone batteries. For example, if a battery is charged over the maximum battery voltage, the resulting chemical reactions may reduce the capacity significantly [2] and increase the battery temperature beyond the safety limit...

...We have found that 2% of the devices charge their batteries well above the maximum battery voltage. This charging method deteriorates battery capacity faster than normal. There has been very active discussion in various online forums identifying battery SOC anomalies and such SOC error is due to the capacity loss [6]. A small number of devices had a charging current higher than 1.0C, which also degrades battery performance quickly. We have also observed that 85% of the devices suffered from 1-10% capacity loss...

Here is a very informative graph from the BatteryUniversity.

spacer.png

So if you are charging your device over 1C, you might notice greater reduction in the capacity after 2-3 years. Most users are buying new device by then so it is not an issue to manufacturers. However, if you are planning to use Pro1 3-5 years or longer I would suggest to use a slow charger.

I have collected a summary from XDA article (2017) how different fast chargers are acting:

• OnePlus 3 (3000mAh): 1.33C (Dash Charge)
  • Mate 9 (4000mAh): 1.25C (SuperCharge)
  • Galaxy S8+ (3500mAh): 0.86C (Adaptive Fast Charging)
  • Pixel XL (3450mAh): 0.71C (USB Power Delivery)

According to Qualcomm, QC 3.0 charges a 2750mAh battery with a maximum current of 1.5C.

Google has been trying to tell OEMs to stop using anything else than PD.

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1

I'm wondering, what unit it is when you are talking about current? Current is measured in amperes (eg 1.5 A) but you are writing here "...with a maximum current of 1.5C."? Let's be correct and precise, gentlemen - it's physics 😉

Edited by acrux
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, acrux said:

I'm wondering, what unit it is when you are talking about current? Current is measured in amperes (eg 1.5 A) but you are writing here "...with a maximum current of 1.5C."?

We are talking about c-rate which is derived from Coulomb's Law. See more from here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/what_is_the_c_rate

So If you have 1000mAh battery and you are charging it 1A then it is 1C charging. For 2000mAh battery 2A would mean 1C.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, EskeRahn said:

How this should relate to Quality Control I do not get.

But that apart, the so called poor stamina of the Priv is really a myth based on the usage - for me a single charge can last a week of light usage. Original battery. See e.g. this

I don't know how much of a myth when I have one, and since day 1 I got it I never got more than a day usage. I thought the battery was bad after 3 years of usage, so I replaced it and it didn't do one bit to increase life.