Jump to content

Looking for a "perfect" internet browser


Recommended Posts

Hello again,

long story short.

I am looking for an internet browser with several abilities:

- opening/closing new tab with keyboard hotkeys (not working on firefox anymore...)
- jumping to address bar directly without clicking anywhere. (or jumping there with hotkey)
- add ons to block several internet sites

I tried several (opera, vivaldi...) and none fulfilled all of them.

As the motto is: "function is key" I don´t want to create a new tab, click with my finger onto the adressbar and then enter. I know that sounds lazy but itˋs something that really bothers me...

So, are you maybe using a browser which helps my needs?

thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://slions.net/threads/fulguris.63/

55 minutes ago, adidas88 said:

opening/closing new tab with keyboard hotkeys (not working on firefox anymore...)

Ctrl+T and Ctrl+W

55 minutes ago, adidas88 said:

jumping to address bar directly without clicking anywhere. (or jumping there with hotkey)

F11, may have to hit it twice depending on tool bar current visibility status. If you are using Fx Qwerty you can do F11 with Fx+'-'. 

55 minutes ago, adidas88 said:

add ons to block several internet sites

I don't think Fulguris does that yet.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Alain Grange made a specific "Keyboard Browser", I must admit I haven't used it for quite a while. but it is clearly designed with a real keyboard in mind.

Thanks for the tip, but he completely redesigned the layout for his browser. Opening tabs with just one letter and didnt found any hotkey to close it.

I would like something with the "standard" layout. ctrl + t etc... ctrl + w ...

How do you all browse and why doesn´t it bother anyone but me? 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adidas88 said:

I would nominate myself for the silliest comment today.

You are not the only one to have asked that question after visiting that page. I guess I should change the colour of the download button to make it more visible.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Slion said:

You are not the only one to have asked that question after visiting that page. I guess I should change the colour of the download button to make it more visible.

image.png.33f77555597344b37b66aa59a133e3c5.png

Green should do I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Slion said:

Green should do I guess.

Interesting thing, I still did not immediately spot it even in you cropped image. I guess we simply do not expect Download to be top right?

Allow me to suggest a little waste of screen estate:

image.png.109df854e86d4730b851b5f40319fce0.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

guess we simply do not expect Download to be top left

or was it top right? 🤣
Nonetheless I think you are right our eyes scan top down the left side of the page content thus easily missing the download button. Though I won't bother changing the page layout. Maybe I could add a Download section at the bottom of the page content too. However I do believe the green button is a lot harder to miss now.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 4:00 AM, adidas88 said:

Hello again,

long story short.

I am looking for an internet browser with several abilities:

- opening/closing new tab with keyboard hotkeys (not working on firefox anymore...)
- jumping to address bar directly without clicking anywhere. (or jumping there with hotkey)
- add ons to block several internet sites

I tried several (opera, vivaldi...) and none fulfilled all of them.

As the motto is: "function is key" I don´t want to create a new tab, click with my finger onto the adressbar and then enter. I know that sounds lazy but itˋs something that really bothers me...

So, are you maybe using a browser which helps my needs?

thanks.

Kiwi Browser is the only browser that fits your needs. 

1. Ctrl+T opens a new tab. 

2. CTRL+L goes to the address bar. 

3. Supports all chrome based extensions. Download nano ad blocker and defender for the perfect desktop 

4. Google Amp remover, night mode, and webpage night mode

Not to knock the work of the fulguris team. Kiwi supports all of chrome's pc shortcuts as well as browser extensions. That's an all around perfect browser. 

You'll find it on the playstore. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, D1ggs said:

Kiwi Browser is the only browser that fits your needs. 

Though it does not seem to be so good at managing screen real estate in landscape. It shows both status bar and tool bar thus wasting at least one 5th of screen real estate. I could not find settings to adjust that.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 4:00 AM, adidas88 said:

 

As the motto is: "function is key" 

Once upon a time, when keyboards dominated the mobile landscape software was designed to work effectively with them. 

Unfortunately, with the rise of Asian consumers demanding phablets because they're too poor for laptops left us with prioritizing screen size and eliminating everything. 

Now we're stuck with a mish mash of designs tailored for a screen only world. A few browsers (like Kiwi) at least have chrome style shortcuts. 

In fxtec's defense, there's only so much they can do before we're butting up against a wall of design choices that neglect enthusiasts like us. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D1ggs said:

In fxtec's defense, there's only so much they can do before we're butting up against a wall of design choices that neglect enthusiasts like us. 

I very much agree with you, I think it is only a matter of time before both Android and Ios drop the support for hardware keyboards at a deep level.

At that point it will be up to any hardware manufacturer to provide the support, and this is likely going to be so costly that there are not enough of us keyboard-lovers left to make this sustainable, and we will have to let do with fake 'keyboards' on the screen.

Unless of course both types will die together in favour of some totally new efficient way for humans to communicate with the devices. e.g. 'speak' without air and with the lips closed. Some collar with sensors detecting the movements of larynx, tongue and cheeks, combined with some AI that removes the ambiguities based on context. I would not be surprised to see that within the next decade.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I very much agree with you, I think it is only a matter of time before both Android and Ios drop the support for hardware keyboards at a deep level.

At that point it will be up to any hardware manufacturer to provide the support, and this is likely going to be so costly that there are not enough of us keyboard-lovers left to make this sustainable, and we will have to let do with fake 'keyboards' on the screen.

I think there's enough people using bluetooth keyboards, oddball devices like android TV with keys on the remote and the likes to prevent us from falling into that dystopia. And let us not forget that no matter how small, all of us here are also making a difference too :).

If we were to end up in a future where Android doesn't inherently have keyboard support, the only possible solution would probably be to use another OS as troublesome as that'd be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

, I think it is only a matter of time before both Android and Ios drop the support for hardware keyboards at a deep level.

Rest assured that's not happening anytime soon. Operating Systems today are designed around HID. Human Interface Device is the protocol enabling pretty much any kind of input devices regardless of the hardware interface I2C, USB, BT. Keyboards are just one of them. That's not to say keyboard support won't deteriorate further but it is very unlikely to ever be dropped altogether.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms