Status on QWERTZ Pro1?

Sorry to everyone for yet another topic on the matter, but I have the feeling that the forum is filling up with owners' talk (which is great, since that means many people have got their phones, even though those are mostly QWERTY people) and unfulfilled orders are a bit on the backburner right now.

My order is for a QWERTZ, placed on 20th November 2019 (order number 42XXX), back when my boss' biggest worry has been the Brexit and not COVID-19 (he paid for the phone). Last update we've got has been on 18th August 2020, which was probably a generic mail for everyone -- QWERTZ has been out of stock ever since, presumable because of missing parts for the keyboard. At the same time, Pro1x is getting all the attention and presumably production capacities, boasting that same QWERTZ keyboard in addition to several other layouts. 

So while I'm happy that f(x)tec seems to be doing well after all that's happened, judging by the Pro1x campaign and the fact that they are shipping first devices from that batch before Christmas, I have to wonder what's happening with the outstanding Pro1 devices. In particular prospective QWERTZ owners seem to have been forgotten. Maybe @Erik or @Waxberrycan shed a bit of light on our perspective: are those devices in the pipeline? Do we have to cancel our orders and switch to QWERTY? Might we even get a Pro1x-QWERTZ instead? And the most important question is: what is the time frame for everything that might happen?

Thank you for understanding.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

(This is a very limited batch of just 10 devices)

Still, aren't those the first devices f(x)tec ever delivered on time? That's impressive, all things considered. Not being salty, but rather happy that planning and production seem to recover nicely.

• Haha 3
20 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Still, aren't those the first devices f(x)tec ever delivered on time? That's impressive, all things considered. Not being salty, but rather happy that planning and production seem to recover nicely.

There is a LOT of difference in hand-carrying a few devices through, or to have a third party factory doing everything from scratch to send.
I would not be at all surprised if these ten were produced before the campaign even started, and only needed some final touch like packing was left. Or that they just had ten new blue shells and moved over the interiors from ten Pro1s manually. (But I'm guessing here)

(Note that they even got different prints/engravings on them)

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

There is a LOT of difference in hand-carrying a few devices through, or to have a third party factory doing everything from scratch to send.
I would not be at all surprised if these ten were produced before the campaign even started, and only needed some final touch like packing was left. Or that they just had ten new blue shells and moved over the interiors from ten Pro1s manually. (But I'm guessing here)

Quite possible, but still an achievement in planning. If the devices arrive before Christmas, it will an achievement of logistics. Either way, good for them.  (wouldn't mind them hand-crafting a couple of QWERTZ-Pro1 devices though...)  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Out of curiosity, what are your guesses?

Perhaps they bought enough of qwerty for stock an limited amount of qwertZ and then the block could be Corona related, if the company prioritise other larger customers or even has gone under. Could be some rights things that prevent them from changing to someone else, ..... the possibilities are endless. And your guesses are as good as mine.

9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Perhaps they bought enough of qwerty for stock an limited amount of qwertZ and then the block could be Corona related, if the company prioritise other larger customers or even has gone under. Could be some rights things that prevent them from changing to someone else, ..... the possibilities are endless. And your guesses are as good as mine.

At least one Pro1-X QWERTZ unit has been made so far since I saw a photo of it in Twitter. If there was a shortage of QWERTZ keyboard mats, maybe it is resolved now?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

At least one Pro1-X QWERTZ unit has been made so far since I saw a photo of it in Twitter. If there was a shortage of QWERTZ keyboard mats, maybe it is resolved now?

It's perfectly possible that Pro1x hardware is coming from a different manufacturer so that it's slightly incompatible with Pro1, even though it's looking identical visually.

3 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I hope you are right.

45 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

It's perfectly possible that Pro1x hardware is coming from a different manufacturer so that it's slightly incompatible with Pro1, even though it's looking identical visually.

That could also be the explanation - From the user feedbacks in here people are not complaining on hardware issues with the keyboards, so it seems unlikely that they would want to change it.

My guess would be that QWERTZ quantities, now that most 2019 QWERTZ orders have been fulfilled, might be so small at this point that it wouldn't be worth it for the supplier to start a new batch, or perhaps only at a price Fxtec couldn't really be expected to pay. I'd expect the remaining Pro¹ QWERTZ devices to be delivered together with the first Pro¹ X QWERTZ devices.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Sad 1
54 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

I'd expect the remaining Pro¹ QWERTZ devices to be delivered together with the first Pro¹ X QWERTZ devices.

My thoughts also. I cancelled my Qwertz order a week ago since it was starting to look like I would be receiving Pro1 and Pro1-X too close each other if at all. I need one phone with scandinavian keyboard if possible.

• Sad 1