Can't answer phone calls

I'm sorry to say that while I did have that exact same issue once with an earlier phone (guess it was the BlackBerry PRIV) I couldn't for the life of me recall how I got it fixed. What I remember is that it must have been some kind of setting (so there's probably nothing broken)...

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

I'm sorry to say that while I did have that exact same issue once with an earlier phone (guess it was the BlackBerry PRIV) I couldn't for the life of me recall how I got it fixed. What I remember is that it must have been some kind of setting (so there's probably nothing broken)...

Gee thanks 😛

2 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

You have probably enabled "Power button ends call" feature from Accessibility settings. Disabling that feature should allow you to answer calls. However, I don't know what causes black screen.

Nope. Checked that. Not selected.

1 hour ago, sequestris said:

Just started happening.
Call rings through, but the screen stays dark.
There is no ongoing call notification.
Also when I try to touch the button to turn on the screen it ends the call.

I think such problem may happen using stock Android.

I used to have black screen during the phone ringing while it turned on the screen after several ringings, so I could accept the call. One of my friends had similar problem on his replacement unit.

I have also experienced reboot loop after restarting the phone for hours before it booted up properly.
Later, I have experienced the same reboot loop upon connecting charger cable.

After factory reset, the problem disappeared while I have no applications installed but started again after all the applications restored.

After another factory reset and skipping some applications during restore, the problem went away.
However, since then, my phone never turns the display on while ringing, but I can turn it on by pressing power button, click on continue call, then accept it.

It was not restarted for months, but last week I had to restart it because of screen problem (with the one I have replaced by one bought at Aliexpress), but it did the very same reboot loop as before.
However, it does not do this loop upon connecting the charger... yet.

I think the next time I will install LineageOS...

Anyway, I think stock Android may has some fine tuning issues so a system component may not start in time or this time limit is too short...

Edit: During reboot loop mentioned above, Linux kernel was not restarting, only Android on top of that - so that was not real reboots but some "software watchdog"-like thing intended to avoid a half-running Android...

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I think such problem may happen using stock Android.

I used to have black screen during the phone ringing while it turned on the screen after several ringings, so I could accept the call. One of my friends had similar problem on his replacement unit.

I have also experienced reboot loop after restarting the phone for hours before it booted up properly.
Later, I have experienced the same reboot loop upon connecting charger cable.

After factory reset, the problem disappeared while I have no applications installed but started again after all the applications restored.

After another factory reset and skipping some applications during restore, the problem went away.
However, since then, my phone never turns the display on while ringing, but I can turn it on by pressing power button, click on continue call, then accept it.

It was not restarted for months, but last week I had to restart it because of screen problem (with the one I have replaced by one bought at Aliexpress), but it did the very same reboot loop as before.
However, it does not do this loop upon connecting the charger... yet.

I think the next time I will install LineageOS...

Anyway, I think stock Android may has some fine tuning issues so a system component may not start in time or this time limit is too short...

Thing is the calls are coming through but just no call answer option.
It's very odd.
And I am using Contacts+ not stock Android.
Guess I'll have to play with the settings more.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sequestris said:

Thing is the calls are coming through but just no call answer option.

Just like how it was at my first experience (but my display came up after several seconds, let's say 10-20).
Now it is relatively good as it does not turn the screen on, but I can turn it on by power button, then click on continue call, then accept it...

These are two "different systems", so after another factory restore.

• Like 1

I know this sounds silly but try two things.  First,  go into settings -> apps and clear chache on the phone app.

Then do a simulated battery pull.  This is done by holding the power button.  Keep holding it (ignore the pop-up shutdown menu) until the Pro1 spontaneously restarts.  This is my go to whenever I get inexplicable wonky behavior.  It works for  lot of cases.  Don't know if it will solve yours, but unless yours is a messed up proximity sensor, it's all I've got. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, sequestris said:

But will I have to reinstall all my apps?

No.  It literally does the same thing a battery pull would do.  Doesn't touch your apps. I don't know exactly why it solves problems, but I know in the old days pulling a battery from a phone (like blackberries) would also solve wonkiness often.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Hook said:

I know this sounds silly but try two things.  First,  go into settings -> apps and clear chache on the phone app.

Then do a simulated battery pull.  This is done by holding the power button.  Keep holding it (ignore the pop-up shutdown menu) until the Pro1 spontaneously restarts.  This is my go to whenever I get inexplicable wonky behavior.  It works for  lot of cases.  Don't know if it will solve yours, but unless yours is a messed up proximity sensor, it's all I've got. 😉

So 50% of the problem solved. I get a notification in the drawer now but it doesn't default to my Contacts app.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sequestris said:

So 50% of the problem solved. I get a notification in the drawer now but it doesn't default to my Contacts app.

So I'm assuming you Contacts app also is your phone app?  Is it selected still in Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Default apps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Hook said:

So I'm assuming you Contacts app also is your phone app?  Is it selected still in Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Default apps?

Yes and Yes.
So I tried 2 things:
1) I disabled Contacts+ as the default app ane enabled phone
Still no thing.
2) I reinstalled an old APK for the version of Contacts+ that I like.
Magic better.

And all my apps are set to never updated. I hate updates. Updates suck.

But it may have been the battery pull thing that you had me do. Regardless... problem solved and thank you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Hook said:

No.  It literally does the same thing a battery pull would do.  Doesn't touch your apps. I don't know exactly why it solves problems, but I know in the old days pulling a battery from a phone (like blackberries) would also solve wonkiness often.

AFAIK, the difference between a simple restart and holding the power button for longer is that the latter interrupts the circuit and can therefore also solve "electrostatic problems" (like removing battery in older days).

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, MvBoe said:

AFAIK, the difference between a simple restart and holding the power button for longer is that the latter interrupts the circuit and can therefore also solve "electrostatic problems" (like removing battery in older days).

Thanks.  Not being very technical, I never knew the explanation.  Just knew it solved a lot of problems.  As I said, my go to first move when things are wonky.  🙂

• Like 1