Blank keyboard layout

I read Fxtec was accepting suggestions for new keyboard layouts. Has anyone suggested a blank keyboard layout?

That way you can remap keys however you want without having to worry  about letters matching up

And you don't have to worry about letters fading over time

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I like the originality!

However, I myself haven't been able to do proper touch typing on the QWERTY variant, with the keys being so small, meaning that every so often, I look back at the keyboard to check whether I'm about to press the right key. That's going to be extremely difficult if you can't check to see which key is which. Furthermore, getting the feel for a new keyboard layout always starts out slowly, so I wonder if you could even learn the positions of the keys you decide to map manually at all, with such a tough start.

Also, you'd lose the backlight.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, lawliett said:

That way you can remap keys however you want without having to worry  about letters matching up

This is possible even without a blank layout. 🙂

I chose German as initial layout because it was the closest layout to original QWERTY one, but with US layout as main one and I have some keys remapped to accommodate my national layout as second (Alt-Gr) function.

That is perfect for me, a blank keyboard would be much worse and also I have backlight which is a good feature.

• Thanks 1
On 2/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, lawliett said:

I read Fxtec was accepting suggestions for new keyboard layouts. Has anyone suggested a blank keyboard layout?

And you don't have to worry about letters fading over time

Yes, at least in the discord this was discussed multiple times, I would love it, would match my pc keyboard.
But tbh it would have been a bit of a struggle to get used to it initially. Especially with the shifted layout.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Yeah we discussed on forum as well 😄

We actually found this 

https://phys.org/news/2009-05-samsung-incorporates-e-ink-panel-technology.html

Think @EskeRahnmanaged to buy one as well lol

Yup found one on ebay, not even expensive, $16 - but the shipping from the US was twice that...
Samsung "Alias 2" aka "Zeal" SCH-U750

Add: Still not that hard to get: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/264982605532