How to install AICP (or other ROM), Magisk, and root with SafetyNet, Certified Device & Google Pay working

37 minutes ago, Slion said:

What if I don't need root but want to have a certified device on LOS 18.1?

I would need Netflix, Disney+, Bank apps and company login apps to work too.

I'm pretty sure you are stuck on stock, if you want that without root and tricks. 😢

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm pretty sure you are stuck on stock, if you want that without root and tricks. 😢

I see, I was hoping it would be easier if you have no root access. If having root access is in fact a requirement I don't mind really, other than the fact that it seems to be taking quite a few steps to get there.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Slion said:

What if I don't need root but want to have a certified device on LOS 18.1?

I would need Netflix, Disney+, Bank apps and company login apps to work too.

That's what I originally thought, too. I started out with unrooted LineageOS 16.1, which was already installed when I got my device (pre-owned) and generally I was fine with it. It turned out, though, it is more likely to get all or most of those apps running with a rooted device than with an unrooted one. More and more apps check for modifications which deviate from an unchanged phone with stock and complain even if it the device running LineageOS is not rooted. As soon as you have Magisk properly set up with MagiskHide and passing SafetyNet, at this point (possibly impending changes in Google's handling of SafetyNet measures not considered) it is very likely to get all or most of those apps running. (One of my banking apps needs the Magisk App not just to be "hidden", but actually uninstalled or "frozen", say, by Titanium Backup, to work. But in the end it did work...)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rob. S. said:

Now that's interesting. If you try this, I'd be interested to see how it goes, and what banking and other apps say after that.

So far it fails saying: Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db": unable to open database file

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Slion said:

So far it fails saying: Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db": unable to open database file

Maybe it has something to do with MindTheGapps? GSF should be installed along Google Play right?

Edited by Slion
16 minutes ago, Slion said:

I needed to enable Rooted debugging in Developer settings. Still ain't working though for some reason.

LATER: Somehow I need to install sqlite3 so that adb can use it…

Edited by Slion

Could extract that android ID for GSF registration after all, just needed to do:

adb root
adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db "select * from main where name = \"android_id\";"

However after registration and Google Play storage reset it is still not reported as certified. Maybe it takes a bit of time to actually register? Maybe there are other storage I need to clear? I tried clearing data for both Google Play Store and Google Play services, no joy…

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Slion said:

Could extract that android ID for GSF registration after all just needed to do:

adb root
adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db "select * from main where name = \"android_id\";"

However after registration and Google Play storage reset it is still not reported as certified. Maybe it takes a bit of time to actually register? Maybe there are other storage I need to clear? I tried clearing data for both Google Play Store and Google Play services, no joy…

Tried the same, and tried both a simple restart, and a hold-power-long deep one. No cigar.
Let us give it a few hours.... And hope it works.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

If you want it scripted, the for dos (windows), use:

adb root
echo sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db "select * from main where name = \"android_id\";"|adb shell

Yeah the issue was the command format which was probably given for nix shell rather than Windows Power Shell or classic command prompt which is what I was trying to use.

11 minutes ago, Slion said:

Yeah the issue was the command format which was probably given for nix shell rather than Windows Power Shell or classic command prompt which is what I was trying to use.

Yes, a command syntax issue for passing arguments to a command run via adb shell directly. Perhaps more escaping is needed???
But a simple Pipe will do the job, though slightly silly.

Experimented a bit with the apostrophes, the right form seems to be apostrophes around both of the two arguments to sqlite3:

adb shell sqlite3 '/data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db' '"select * from main where name = \"android_id\";"'

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

Maybe it has something to do with MindTheGapps? GSF should be installed along Google Play right?

Yes, MindTheGApps should include all necessary services...

Are you rooted now, or not?

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Yes, MindTheGApps should include all necessary services...

Are you rooted now, or not?

I don't think I'm no. I could fetch that android id after all, see above posts. Did not need root on the device, just adb root. However that GSF registration did not do anything. Maybe a wipe is needed, an also installing gapps before first boot which I did not do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

I don't think I'm no. I could fetch that android id after all, see above posts. Did not need root on the device, just adb root. However that GSF registration did not do anything. Maybe a wipe is needed, an also installing gapps before first boot which I did not do.

I see. I have obviously no idea how long the registration process takes...

Regarding root, I'd say if you didn't sideload Magisk you aren't rooted, and if you did, you are, no matter if you made actual use of it (i.e. granted root to some apps) or not. (I asked because I don't know whether root might interfere with Google Play Store honouring the certification registration...)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

As I read it they explicitly write that we have to redo after a wipe, so NO, A wipe would not do the trick, as you would get a new id.

ADD:

How often do I need to register my GSF ID?

Your device’s GSF ID is reset every time your device is factory reset (or when you wipe the GSF app itself) since it is stored in your data partition, so you must re-register your GSF ID every time you perform either of these actions.

-----------------

Just tried to reboot to recovery after long-press, and reboot from there, in an attempt to get a reasonably deep boot. But My tasklist is still there, so not a 'clean' restart.
And no cigar, the Android Market still says Device is not certified

-----------------

adb shell svc power reboot userspace

gives
Failed to reboot: Attempted userspace reboot on a device that doesn't support it

( https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/soft-restart )

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

But My tasklist is still there, so not a 'clean' restart.

I'm pretty sure this one is persisted on a solid drive so probably not such a good indicator.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

As I read it they explicitly write that we have to redo after a wipe, so NO, A wipe would not do the trick, as you would get a new id.

I know, the thinking was that maybe there is something else that's wrong with my gapps setup. Well... Obviously there is.... 🙂

Edited by Slion
1 minute ago, Slion said:

I know the thinking was that maybe there is something else that's wrong with my gapps setup. Well... Obviously there is.... 🙂

Or there are more than one type of "certified", that confuses us.
...Or the guide is just not correct anymore... But it seems active, listing the id's registered.

If I remember correctly it took quite a while from the Pro1 was officially accepted by Google, to it appeared as certified in the Android Market, so we just MIGHT be way to impatient Maybe it is not hours but days or weeks...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Slion said:

According to that article this registration trick is only for people who can't even launch Google Play apparently, which is not our case. It won't make a device pass SafetyNet however. It's therefore useless to us apparently. It was too good to be true 😃

The only way forward it seems is Magisk and root as explained by OP and @Rob. S.

I wonder if there are other good online guides to achieve this.

• Thanks 1
On 5/29/2021 at 1:32 PM, Rob. S. said:

Apps like Netflix and Disney Plus appear in the Play Store! 

So I went through all that, Magisk says SafetyNet passes.
Google Play Settings says the device is certified but still Netflix is not turning up in the the store.

• Sad 1
On 6/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, agent008 said:

The Fxtec signature didn't work for me. That's why I chose the Sony one.

SafetyNet was passing, Google Play said I was certified but still I could not find Netflix in the store.

Changed my spoofed fingerprint to Samsung Galaxy S21 SM-G991B (11) did the data reset and reboot et voilà... Netflix is there!

• Like 2