Workaround for the too high in-call volume [LineageOS 17.1]: disable 4G calling

Looks like the suspicion I wrote about earlier was correct.  Since I disabled "4G calling"  (HD voice aka wideband audio)  in "Network and Internet" -> "Mobile Network", I didn't get any calls anymore with too loud in-call audio. I'm quite confident about this now as one specific caller which always used to be too loud when calling from his home line wasn't too loud anymore after I made that change. So far I don't see any disadvantages of that change, either. 

[Edit:] This is LineageOS 17.1. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

i don't seem to have this feature : "4G calling"  (HD voice aka wideband audio) - but i definitely experience this very loud audio volume with certain callers, notably with one that uses a landline phone as you observed too.  are the settings under "Mobile Network" perhaps carrier specific ?  my phone/data service is with Bell Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, pistikem said:

i don't seem to have this feature : "4G calling"  (HD voice aka wideband audio) - but i definitely experience this very loud audio volume with certain callers, notably with one that uses a landline phone as you observed too.  are the settings under "Mobile Network" perhaps carrier specific ?  my phone/data service is with Bell Canada.

same here, is it a LOS thing?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, pistikem said:

I don't kow if it is related to VoLTE but that is not available for me (however, the service provider supports it).
Anyway, I have to turn speaker volume to lowest level and I still feel it is sometimes too loud - however, when speaker volume is higher, it can even have distorted audio because it is too loud also for the speaker (and overdriving the speaker it is generally not a good thing at all).

Otherwise, there are solutions which are louder while others are relatively quiet.
...like when I have tested my Pinephone for the first time, its output (at other party) was extremely loud, I could even hear my breath.

So it may be simply the gain is a bit different at some providers... but the main problem is the too loud speaker at Pro1, so user can not adjust it according to other party as it is generally have too much gain...

Edit: Stock here.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, pistikem said:

i don't seem to have this feature : "4G calling"  (HD voice aka wideband audio)

In my LineageOS 16 it is called "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" and is only visible in the "Advanced" settings under "Mobile Network".

I do not think it is specific to LineageOS. As far as I know, the option used to be called "VoLTE" or "HD voice" in previous Android versions. But seemingly the switch controls more than just Voice-over-LTE nowadays: If I switch it off, also "Carrier video calls" get disabled. Potentially, you might loose other useful things like conference calls -- not sure about that, though (and too lazy to test). VoLTE is also said to use less power compared to 2G/3G calling, so if you do a lot of voice calls you may see decreased battery life.

I'll leave it on for now, as I did not suffer from the loudness problem yet ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Rob. S. changed the title to Workaround for the too high in-call volume [LineageOS 17.1]: disable 4G calling
9 hours ago, pistikem said:

i don't seem to have this feature : "4G calling"  (HD voice aka wideband audio)

9 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

same here, is it a LOS thing?

8 hours ago, VaZso said:

I don't kow if it is related to VoLTE but that is not available for me [...] Edit: Stock here.

6 hours ago, claude0001 said:

In my LineageOS 16 it is called "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" and is only visible in the "Advanced" settings under "Mobile Network".

I'm on LineageOS 17.1. Changed title and first post accordingly... Sorry for not mentioning it.

My partner's Fairphone 3 (stock Android 10), same carrier as me, doesn't seem to have the setting, either.

• Thanks 2

If you in stock settings do a search for 4G, it suggests an option.
BUT clicking that option does not bring me to that setting, as my carrier does not Support VoLTE for the Pro1

Screenshot_20210323-233550.thumb.png.f0e5189a5354b0732616743987f7d767.png

(If I do the same on AICP, it IS available to me)
Screenshot_20210323-233956_Settings.thumb.png.69cdcace69d38159c11a9a321d936a71.png

10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

BUT clicking that option does not bring me to that setting, as my carrier does not Support VoLTE for the Pro1

Interesting... I don't even have this ghost option:

4g.thumb.png.fbad19311144e519f4b6589cb4bfb6d0.png

However, one of my carriers has VoLTE (and VoWiFi) support and it is turned on (however, I don't know if they have a whitelist), the other one still does not support it.

10 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

(on the VoLTE availability confusion see this thread)

Wow, what a mess, indeed.

From the other thread, I get that those who do not see the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" switch have VoLTE disabled anyway (because their OS, or their carrier, or both do not support it). So, according to @Rob. S.'s hypothesis, they should not encounter the loudness bug in the first place. However, @pistikem seems to have the bug despite not having VoLTE. Are we on the wrong track after all?

Edited by claude0001
7 minutes ago, PokeParadox said:

I disabled the 4G call option and received a call this morning which was "buzzy" I do have WiFi calls enabled though...
It would be nice to find a concrete workaround!

I would expect VoWiFi calls to be similar to VoLTE here. in principle the same, just a matter of what paths the data-parcels take.

And the big difference to std calls is the (in principle) HD-voice quality. and it could be as simple as this HD-voice engine being faulty.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I would expect VoWiFi calls to be similar to VoLTE here. in principle the same, just a matter of what paths the data-parcels take.

And the big difference to std calls is the (in principle) HD-voice quality. and it could be as simple as this HD-voice engine being faulty.

Yeah I've disabled WiFi calls too. I'll see if this makes things better on the next call...

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Hmmm... But you do get that extremely loud in-call audio anyway?

14 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Hmmm... But you do get that extremely loud in-call audio anyway?

I have very few voice calls, and 99% of those I do either with a headset or in hands free mode, so I'm not the right one to ask on the sound quality.
Actually the sound quality I do experience is OK, it is the other end that is complaining about the quality on hands free, unless I talk in a loud and clear 'meeting-voice', rather than normal conversation.

• Thanks 1