Cable type for fastboot

Hi,

I am running into some problems[1] with fastboot and the consensus seems to be to try another cable[2] in such cases.

The problem is: I can’t find information on what a proper cable is. No doubt this has to do with the amount of connectors/wires, but what do you need, and how is this specified? Is it an MTP cable, or OTG? Is it USB-C to USB-C, of only UBC-A to USB-C?

I don’t mind getting a new cable (ok: I mind a little), but I would like to get one that works in one go instead of trial and error through various cables…

Appreciated if somebody can help me with this!

Arn

[1] The phone is recognized by fastboot devices, but unlocking/flashing fails.

[2] Using the cable of an Oculus Quest at this moment; my phone did not come with an official one.

Many other factors could affect this (unfortunately), so no easy dead sure answer. Sometimes a different port (even on the same PC) can make a difference. And some have reported that using a hub might help, and others that not using a hub helped... The driver on the PC for the port also matters... so I would say the best to do is to experiment, including other cables and perhaps other pc's.

It is not that it is hard to get it working, but when it isn't working, it can be hard to figure out the why. 😖

I have it working fine even with fairly cheap Chinese usb-cables on an ancient Lenovo thinkpad.

• Like 1

I get best results when using a Raspberry Pi3 for flashing the Pro1.

I had lots of trouble using my normal PCs as well, even though some of them are old pure-USB-2.0 systems. The RPi has a 100% success record up to now. The cable then does not seem to matter much: I have successfully used, both, the official one and some random spare I had lying around.

If you have a Raspberry at hand anyway (:classic_cool:), just give it a try. The needed Android tools are just an "apt install adb fastboot" away.

Edit:  Note that the fact that my RPi is version 3 may be important. The Pi3 is the latest version with USB-2.0 ports only, the Pi4 has a USB3 bus which may again cause problems (did not try).

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1

So I was impatient and bought a generic USB-A to USB-C cable which allowed be to unlock and flash; joy!

I have no idea what makes this cable/setup different (except the other cable was USB-C to USB-C, and I now have to use a different USB port), but if there is any interrest I can buy another one and dissect it to get some photos/data.

Thanks all for the input and time!

Arn

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arn said:

So I was impatient and bought a generic USB-A to USB-C cable which allowed be to unlock and flash; joy!

I have no idea what makes this cable/setup different (except the other cable was USB-C to USB-C, and I now have to use a different USB port), but if there is any interrest I can buy another one and dissect it to get some photos/data.

Thanks all for the input and time!

Arn

I'm no expert, but based on my experience I would guess either the new cable or the new port (or both) took you to USB 2.  USB 3 seems really finicky with this stuff.  I now use USB 2 exclusively and have no problems.

• Thanks 1

Data cables should be standard. Where you begin to get issues is if you just grab any old USB cable. Some are just wired to provide power to whatever gadget they came with.

I've got one or two such cables. One came with a UV light strip, the phone charges from the cable but as far as plugging it in to a PC it's as the proverbial dodo, the PC won't pick it up at all. Yet use the cable that came with my Sony XA1 and it's fine.

As Schattengestalt says, the length of the cable and quality can make a difference. Cheap ten-a-penny cables are made from cheap materials and can suffer data leaks. Whereas the more expensive shielded cables should be fine.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It also matters which USB port you use. I guess that some USB controllers ICs are more finicky than others. My current mainboard has 19 USB ports provided by three different controllers, and I had to try different ports for various phones/tablets to work with fastboot.

Apparently, USB is not as universal as the name implies :-)